Comparative Upgrade Costs

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

Comparative Upgrade Costs

Post by InfoCentral »

Toonboom Studio Retails for $399 and upgrades at $79.

Anime Studio Retails for $199 and upgrades at $129.

What is wrong with this picture?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

That is a bit nuts. More fuel for the Toon Boon supporters.
sfb

Post by sfb »

So ToonBoom with one update is $478 and Anime Studio with one upgrade is $328. If the upgrade prices and schedules are consistent $557 for ToonBoon with two upgrades, $457 for AS. Total cost for ToonBoon is less after three.

Then again, I personally got AS in a cross-grade deal at a reduced price.

Price 'value' would depend on the frequency of updates and a million other factors.

Personally, I don't think $129 is too much. Even for someone like me who has done little with the product so far, but continues to think he will make the time :lol:
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

Well, for one thing that price covers maybe the next seven updates. Besides, it's still pretty cheap for such a great program.
ImageImage
sfb

Post by sfb »

My calculations included the original purchase price plus the upgrade price. I have no doubt my math was likely wrong though :shock:
The400th

Post by The400th »

Sfb, your calculations are correct. I don't think Chewanater (can I call you Chewie? :D ) was disagreeing with you.

The other thing to consider is that Toon Boom will try to sell their (much!) more expensive higher-end products to you, whereas when you buy Anime Studio Pro, you're ALREADY getting the best version that money can buy.

In other words, the pricing of TBS is a loss leader to draw you in to spend even more money. And let's see how many upgrades TBS makes you pay for before the next paid ASP upgrade.

But as Sfb said, it's total cost that counts, and Anime Studio wins.
Darramouss

Post by Darramouss »

I don't think the cost will really factor too much in to the whole "buy ASP 6/buy TBS" arena.

Myself, tend to go for the software that I find I'll be the most productive on. I tried the TBS demo, hated it. Tried the ASP 5 demo, loved it. I bought ASP 5 as a result.

When it comes to more expensive software I would rather wait and save until I can afford it rather than buy something I can afford, all the while wishing I had the software that I really wanted. At the moment I'm waiting until I can afford Final Cut Studio. HUGELY expensive but I know it'll be worth the wait.

On an aside, I think The 400th has a good point about TBS and their line of products. There are more versions of TBS than there are Simpsons episodes!!

On yet another aside, hurry up and release ASP 6 already!!!
Sheer will is my greatest talent - Sledge Hammer!
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Darramouss wrote:I don't think the cost will really factor too much in to the whole "buy ASP 6/buy TBS" arena.

Myself, tend to go for the software that I find I'll be the most productive on. I tried the TBS demo, hated it. Tried the ASP 5 demo, loved it. I bought ASP 5 as a result.

When it comes to more expensive software I would rather wait and save until I can afford it rather than buy something I can afford, all the while wishing I had the software that I really wanted. At the moment I'm waiting until I can afford Final Cut Studio. HUGELY expensive but I know it'll be worth the wait.

On an aside, I think The 400th has a good point about TBS and their line of products. There are more versions of TBS than there are Simpsons episodes!!

Its out now dude, go check both CP and SM's websites!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

And let's see how many upgrades TBS makes you pay for before the next paid ASP upgrade.
I'm betting SM will need some more paying upgrades to offset their investment in AS.
The400th

Post by The400th »

synthsin75 wrote:I'm betting SM will need some more paying upgrades to offset their investment in AS.
Good point. But their investment is really only Mike Clifton's salary. As far as I understood it, Anime Studio came as part of the eFrontier package. They didn't specifically invest in AS until Mike came on board full time. That's how I see it anyway.

I doubt we'll be gouged by Smith Micro as much as Toon Boom do. But I'm an eternal optimist. 8)
InfoCentral

Coparative Upgrade Costs

Post by InfoCentral »

Toon Boom Studio upgrade costs: 20%

Anime Studio upgrade costs: 65%

Z-Brush upgrade costs: 0%
InfoCentral

Version Upgrade Costs

Post by InfoCentral »

What is the difference in cost between upgrading from Debut 5 to Pro 6 vs. Pro 5 to Pro 6? Would it surprise you if I told you absolutely nothing. The cost is exactly the same $129.

Anime Studio Debut 6
Agent_Smith

Post by Agent_Smith »

Darramouss wrote:I don't think the cost will really factor too much in to the whole "buy ASP 6/buy TBS" arena.

Mike tends to do all the math around here but even with an upgrade to 6 you paid $21 less than for TBS. That's if you paid the full $199 for AS 5.6 in the first place and didn't buy it at Amazon or something. Then add the $79 for the new TBS upgrade and that's $100 more for the latest TBS over the Latest AS. Not to mention you had to shell out $349 all at once. If I had a $100 for every time I laid this out for someone, I'd have a hundred bucks....

Sorry I couldn't resist. :)

BTW I posted in the announcements forum, AS6 is available today.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

The fact is that AS is $199 program and TBS is a $399 program. That's a big difference. Compound that with the hefty upgrade costs of AS and you will be paying the full price of the program over and over again in no time.
Agent_Smith

Post by Agent_Smith »

Ok we hear you. I understand it's too much for you. I don't know what you wish to accomplish but we know that $129 for this offering is more than fair.

Yes $129 once in the last 2 plus years = $321 vs. $399 +$79. And AS is clearly a heftier value and frankly a much better piece of software.

I was just reading some bitching about getting socked for yet another $79 on the TB forums and elsewhere. You probably saw that if you skipped a version, it's $249.