Why are most AS cartoons only a few seconds long?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

turn

Why are most AS cartoons only a few seconds long?

Post by turn »

When I go to Youtube and this forum, I notice that most people who utilize some of AS's greater features (like head turns and realistic movements) only make these short 5 second tests. It never goes beyond that. Some of these people made these "test" years ago and have not followed up. The only exception to this rule it seems is from a person who has hired a group of animators that spend months on it. The only times I've seen an individual make longer cartoons with this program has always been really plain looking cut out style animation. It's the ones that are basically "talking heads".

I'm not saying there's a problem with making simple cartoons like that if that's what your aim is. I guess my question is why do people not make anything more elaborate if there are all these impressive features? Apparently there are practical Bone Rigging that Flash and Toon Boom don't offer, as well as realistic morphs that are supposedly much easier to do. But if this was true, wouldn't we expect to see people actually use them instead of just these 3 second tests? I thought that Rigging was supposed to save time and make it faster for the animator.
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

its because it takes a long time still, and this world and culture we live in is so fast pace...

all ive posted were tests, but mostly because i have been simply working on learning the ropes.

i plan on making a talking heads short... i dont know, its whatever people choose to do i guess...

RonC
Anime Studio, Xara Xtreme 4, Magix Movie Edit Pro 11, Papagayo, Ableton Live 8, Artrage Deluxe
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Ok your right. Most who use AS only do 3 to 5 second test shots. Look up some other 2d animation software on You tube.

Toonboom 2890

Adobe Flash 20900

Anime Studio 49300

Here is the major problem with animation. It's very labor intensive. If I had a crew of 20 who knew how to draw and use AS. Making long animations would be no problem. But right now I've been working on storyboards to a 120 page script. Animation is not only about knowing how to use a computer but their many other elements also.

The other thing is people get side tracked. I fix my motorcycle today, tomorrow I'll work on my car.

I would suggest that you download the demo of Toonboom and try it for 30 days, I don't think Flash has a demo? But if you can try Flash. Then Try AS.

Dale
banjar

Re: Why are most AS cartoons only a few seconds long?

Post by banjar »

turn wrote:When I go to Youtube and this forum, I notice that most people who utilize some of AS's greater features (like head turns and realistic movements) only make these short 5 second tests. It never goes beyond that. Some of these people made these "test" years ago and have not followed up. ... I guess my question is why do people not make anything more elaborate if there are all these impressive features?
Even a short cartoon needs a beginning, a middle and an end. In other words, you need to tell a story. Most people who get even the best of software, really don't have anything to say. They have a desire to make some animations and twiddle around learning how to work the software. But since they don't have a story to tell, since they don't have anything to express through the medium, they quit.

Animation, on the surface, appears to be a very simple medium; but in fact, it is a very sophisticated way of expressing ideas. Its apparent simplicity very soon shows up the paucity of ideas by those who dare to use such a powerful medium. Thus, they get the powerful software that magnifies their miniscule little minds. So, they run away. Add to this the fact that expressing even simple ideas through animation takes a lot of work and long hours, and you end up with lots of unfinished aspirations dashed upon the cartoon rocks and colored cliffs of dangerous pixels.
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

I am loving AS, it is so awesome, and I will be coming out with all sorts of short cartoons when I can get to it. Remember there is a lot going in to the presentation- sound fx, music, voice acting, script/improv, backgrounds, characters, expressions...

RonC
Anime Studio, Xara Xtreme 4, Magix Movie Edit Pro 11, Papagayo, Ableton Live 8, Artrage Deluxe
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

First: I don't like to present tests on youtube. That's why I have my own webspace, that's where I can post the movie with the source file for anyone interested here to study. Years ago I gave up on Super8 because I wasn't satisfied with the quality anymore. Why should I produce animation in HD if it finally ends up in low resolution online again?

Second: I'm not willing to give away my films for free. Once it's finished I send it out to regular festivals and such, hoping to find a distributing or broadcasting deal. That's why I don't put my new films online, only some older stuff.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am probably the BIGGEST offender in what you describe, impressive... but... uh... very short samples of head turns. :oops:

Most of that IS the time consuming nature of animation, both in set up and execution of the final story. I have found myself over the years becoming more proficient at "set up". I can rig easy to animate characters but tend to skimp on actual production of an entire short animation feature.

My goal now is to make the advancements I have come up with available to those who CAN make the "long" animations with a story and plot. ;) By providing those techniques or providing actual rigging to someone else's production, takes that part entirely out of their production pipeline. Then they can use the rigs to animate. they won't have to understand bone constraints, or scripting. All they need to know is that translating the lower jaw bone will open the mouth, and translating the head bone will rotate it (you guys don't need to know programming to use AS ;) )

Some of these head turn techniques are created by people who might not want to create "longer stories". I find the satisfaction of creating a new rig or cool technique to be just as rewarding as creating the animation. If I had to create a 2 or 3 minute animation for each technique... I wouldn't be able to put them out here as quickly.

-vern
Magnatude

Post by Magnatude »

Check out James/Brad's youtube site for more lengthy video's

http://www.youtube.com/user/hiyaanimation
InfoCentral

Re: Why are most AS cartoons only a few seconds long?

Post by InfoCentral »

turn wrote:Apparently there are practical Bone Rigging that Flash and Toon Boom don't offer, as well as realistic morphs that are supposedly much easier to do. But if this was true...
Hummmm...Flash Bone Rigging.
The400th

Post by The400th »

Hmmm, looking at Turn's other posts, pretty much all of them are critical of Anime Studio in subtle, back-handed ways.

Could this be spoiling tactics by the competition? :wink:
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Hmmm, looking at Turn's other posts, pretty much all of them are critical of Anime Studio in subtle, back-handed ways.
Some people just don't know what they are talking about and post negative stuff about AS because they can't do any animation with in five minutes of having AS after years of doing animation other ways.

http://www.animationforum.net/forum/sho ... php?t=6846

Dale
ngh903

Short Animations

Post by ngh903 »

I agree with you dueyftw.
When I first got AS, I thought it was a piece of crap. But when I took time to actually learn it and not bitch about it, it turns out that AS isn't a piece of crap.
But about short animations. Look at the videos I've made on YouTube. They're short. Really short. But check them out. They're short, but good. :D Besides, if you haven't heard, ANIMATION TAKES TIME! If you want to make a good animation, you need time.

I will now step down from my soapbox... :D
But I mean it, check out http://www.youtube.com/ngh903
chucky

Post by chucky »

This is because you tube isn't where people generally publish finished animation work.
The400th

Post by The400th »

Some people just don't know what they are talking about and post negative stuff about AS because they can't do any animation with in five minutes of having AS after years of doing animation other ways.
But Dale, conspiracy theories are just so much more fun! :D
ruibjr

Post by ruibjr »

I got a daytime job, which I absolutely love.
I work sometimes as late as 23:00, sometimes 23:30.
In normal workdays, I work until 19:30.
That's because I love my job as a computer programmer/systems analyst.
BUT, on weekends, I wear my artist-cape and become an artist.
Sometimes, a 3D artist, some other times, a comic book artis. And whenever I feel comfident about it, I become an Animator.
When that happens, I work hard, sometimes all weekend, until I get some stuff done.
And believe me, there's not *much* one can do in one weeked, because animation seems to be a *very* time consuming thingy.
So, I get 12 to 15 seconds scenes designed, drawn and animated.
And that's all.
That's like a therapy, a hobbie; maybe one day I will be able to work on stuff like that fulltime, but for now, just being able to get stuff done, just for myself, makes me feel good.
Specialy when I know that some people here are using the tool professionaly.
So, I feel like I am a pro, I just don't have the time to do a feature animation.
Cheers