Post by judahlion »

Great Videos Vern!

Really well done. I even learned a few things that I had missed up to now :D
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

Tutorial request, Video Tracking :?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

At one time they were giving away a free version. One or two builds back from the current. I was real upset when I lost it in a reformat. Their codec is the got to be fastest for screen recording. but if you can afford it their is a free one called Cam Studio. Not as good but for free don't complain.

Dale
jeff

Post by jeff »

A quick "thank you" for the tutorials, Vern. I appreciate they take a lot of time and effort.

Jeff
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I'll try to get some more soon. I've been doing too many and I'm not use to actually using my voice so much ;). I work at home and do most of my communication via skype (chat) or email. So... I've been talking for hours a day... my voice is getting shot. ;)

-vern
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Vern (and others),

I do appreciate the tutorials but I'm curious about one thing -- does Camtasia not record in some regular (i.e. AVI) format that you could simply drop in a video editor?

It seems to me it would be FAR easier to just record the video with a "temp" audio track and then dub in the good audio later. That way you could also dub out any errors easily and quickly.

I'm approaching this from a video editor's viewpoint, natch, but trying to get something done correct in one "take" is about as inefficient as you can make it.

I'm not sure I'll ever do any video computer tutorials but I do know I wouldn't even try them if I couldn't then edit the results in my video editor (Premiere).
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Ah, in looking at Camtasia I see it not only will record an AVI but has a pretty full-featured editor built in. So you could definitely record an audio track later, as well as edit out any glitches in your run through.

That said, Vern, I wouldn't imagine you could be doing many retakes but perhaps I just don't understand the workflow (I've downloaded the demo version to try it out -- I'll try making a demo of how we construct our character's head for my site).
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The retakes happened when I was using Camstudio which was awful. I would do the video PERFECTLY only to have problems with the format later which COULD NOT BE FIXED without a bunch of extra time consuming work. This meant I had to start from scratch. I would even test some new combination of codecs and audio format with something short. It worked... then do the full version... didn't work.

---------

Camtasia does have an editor which is very helpful, but recording a video tutorial is WAY easier doing it all in one take. Over dubbing the whole thing is a freaking nightmare. You have to know or remember EXACTLY what you were doing on the screen while trying to talk over it. You have to watch it a few times so you know what's happening and then record. Often you make more mistakes this way and have to start again.

Recording the audio while you are "working" is the way to go. Even if you have to occasionally over dub or redo a small section. I'm getting much better at it now. I'm losing my "stage fright". ;)

I've learned how to "speed up" boring sections in Camtasia to shorten the vids without removing the "content". So during sections of "drawing" I can speed that up 300%. You still see the process clearly but it takes less time. I just delete that section of audio.

-vern
virixproductions

3 questions

Post by virixproductions »

3 queztions
1- can you import characters from 5.6 to 6?
2- how much is it?
3- how good is the Standard version...

4 (extra!)- when is it coming out
5(extra!) does it have better SWF export?
Go to virixproductions.webs.com!
sfb

Great stuff!

Post by sfb »

Thanks Vern!

The videos look and sound really good. I'm sure they will even get better as you become more relaxed with the process.

I'll be signing up to your site assuming I can afford it (I doubt it will be a problem). Hopefully soon!!

I downloaded the new version and followed along. I'll be upgrading when it becomes available too. I think I'm finally to the point where I want to spend the time to get a few projects done.

Scott
heyvern

Re: 3 questions

Post by heyvern »

virixproductions wrote:3 queztions
2- how much is it?

1. yes
2. Not exactly sure. Check the other AS 6 posts or check with Smith Micro
3. The standard version "Debut" is fantastic. It's better than the original standard and has many of the same features that pro has. It doesn't have ALL of them and some features are limited (only 2 audio tracks... maybe 3... can't remember)
4. Early next week (check the "Announcements" forum)
5. Yes, there are some improvements to SWF. Strokes and also gradient export.

-vern
Stan

Re: 3 questions

Post by Stan »

heyvern wrote:
virixproductions wrote:3 queztions
2- how much is it?

1. yes
2. Not exactly sure. Check the other AS 6 posts or check with Smith Micro
3. The standard version "Debut" is fantastic. It's better than the original standard and has many of the same features that pro has. It doesn't have ALL of them and some features are limited (only 2 audio tracks... maybe 3... can't remember)
4. Early next week (check the "Announcements" forum)
5. Yes, there are some improvements to SWF. Strokes and also gradient export.

-vern

We definitely need a sticky strongly-moderated thread for "Anime Studio 6 FAQ"...
jwlane

Voice

Post by jwlane »

Heyvern,

You look a LOT like an Aikido sensei I use to train with. So, I always read your posts with his voice in my head. Now, I can take the pitch down at least a full octave.

Thank you for the video. I really like the new timeline enhancements.
ininjuly

Post by ininjuly »

Their codec got to be fastest for screen recording. but if you can afford it their is a free one called Cam Studio...

Post by PARKER »

Thank you for the new tutorials vern.