lacking some basic understanding of how image layers work

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

basshole

lacking some basic understanding of how image layers work

Post by basshole »

I made a few files in photoshop to be used in an ASP project, signs and things, with text, since the text in ASP is a pain to work with.

So when I import them in, position them, scale them, etc., they seem to change as the timeline advances. At frame 0, I can set it a certain way (this amount of rotation, shear, etc.), and even if the settings don't change at all, on frame 1, it looks different: skewed in a different direction or something. I don't get why this is.

Also, even if I don't change anything after frame 1, the appearance of those layers seems to change sometimes as the frames advance.

I don't get it.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Have you checked that there's no keys on the timeline somehow?

Next step, are the images in a group layer?
Does the group layer have any keys somehow?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Are the image layers in a bone layer? Do the bones move? Turn off bone warping in the image layer properties.

Check the time line for keys on the image layers. If you moved them or changed them on some other frame besides 0 they will "drift" over time. There is some key frame somewhere moving the layers, either bones as mentioned above or some motion you applied down the time line to the layers themselves.

Layers do not move on their own.

-vern
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Good point, I didn't think of bones.
basshole

Post by basshole »

They are not in bone layers, or group layers. They're just part of the overall layer scheme in the project.

I turned off the warp using bones option, and did a "clear animation from layer" command.

Problem still persists. It's like there are invisible keys on the layer. Even when there's no scale keys, the appearance is very visibly different from frame 0 to frame 3. I check the scale settings for each frame, and they're identical.

Is there something where the image warps if you move it away (using translate layer) from it's origin point, or something weird like that?
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

One possibility is you might have "noise" as your default key interpolation. With this set on even with no animation in the document your layer (or whatever) will change on frame to frame.

The only way to fix this is to change key interpolation on each and every key, in each and every layer, on frame 0.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Perhaps. I will look into that.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Too late to help you with your file, but here's what I do:

I always keep stuff pretty much in its original shape and size in frame #0. All that shearing and transforming I do in #1. This way I always have a frame position I can return to when I fucked up everything, and copy my default from there. You can also paste your arrangements to some frame later in time, well after your scene.
n.hurst

Post by n.hurst »

Maybe you accidentally added some camera movements in the timeline (Roll Camera or Pan/Tilt Camera)?

The keyframes for these aren't stored on the individual layer, so won't be cleared by "Clear Animation From Layer". But they will affect all layers.
basshole

Post by basshole »

That was my thought about the camera, but I don't keys for that on the various camera channels either, so could this still be the issue?

Maybe I will try resetting the image's default scale, shear, etc. on 0 and only messing with on frames after. What I usually do is get things to their "default" (I use quotes 'cause the default I want may not be exactly how it originated) in 0 and mess with them on frame 1 and so on.
n.hurst

Post by n.hurst »

To show the various camera channels in the timeline, click the Settings... button in the Timeline window. Make sure the camera icons on the right hand side are all tickety boo. Click OK, then the channels will appear at the bottom of the timeline. Might need to scroll down to see them.
basshole

Post by basshole »

unfortunately i did that and didnt see any keys on those channels. do image layers just like being manipulated in frame 0? i will try defaulting all settings on 0 and tweaking on the animation frames later today when im back home.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

And did you look to see what the key interpolations were on frame 0?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Is the motion "extreme"? You said it's noticeable on frame 3. That would indicate a "key frame" pretty close to the beginning and if you don't see one it is most likely "noisy" interpolation.

Clearing animation from document would eliminate ALL keys but it would not change interpolation.

Look at the key frame for ALL the camera channels on frame 0. If you see a key frame "dot" with a sort of "line" through it instead of a solid dot then right click that key frame on 0 and see if it is set to noisy interpolation.

(If you have ALL channels turned on in the time line settings the last camera channel will not be visible. Make sure you turn off one other channel check box in the time line settings so all the camera channels will show and can be checked for noisy interpolation)

-------

Side note:

During 6 testing I discovered a "noisy interpolation" bug. It's fixed now but my thought was that it might have carried over from 5.6. It was very similar to this situation involving the camera key on frame 0.

I have never been able to replicate this in 5.6 but enough people seem to get this mysterious noisy interpolation key on frame 0 that it might be a bug in 5.6. It seems to happen most often with the camera key on frame 0.

-vern
basshole

Post by basshole »

Hey, guys. I am still having issues.

I made a simple image layer that is just text, it will be a logo on a TV in the background.

I have NO animation in this layer. . .I even did a "clear animation from layer" several times to be sure. For some reason, it starts out being squat and wide on frame 1 and stays that way 'til I cut (using step key for cam) to a shot that immediately starts zooming in (using linear keys for cam). As soon as I hit the first linear key of the zoom, the text gets skinny and narrow, though the placement stays the same. There are several cuts before this, and that text stays just like it is on frame 1. It's cutting into that zoom where it changes. I don't get why.

Do camera settings affect the image layers? I don't know why they would, but I can't think of why it's drifting if I've deleted all key frames from the image layer.

I read your interpolation comments above, and there are no camera keys on frame 0. First camera key is on frame 1 and is set to STEP so it "cuts" when I change shots and I don't have to add another key to hold it 'til I'm ready to cut.