:::::::::::::ASD 6 review, tips, and bugs::::::::::::

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

:::::::::::::ASD 6 review, tips, and bugs::::::::::::

Post by synthsin75 »

:::::::::Thoughts::::::::::::::

I love AS. While I plan on keeping ASD6 and buying ASP6 outright to support future development, I'm torn by the idea of Smith Micro profiting from a relationship they have done nothing but hurt. It's a very good thing that AS is so good. (Perhaps Smith Micro is fiendishly trying to test our loyalty?)

I have no problem with the pricing scheme. As I'll show in a minute, I do believe (with some reservations) that AS cold become a Toon Boom killer within its price market. But then I find out that I paid retail ( I do so hate to give a middle-man a cut) for not even the final version of ASD6. Luckily Mike's promised a free update to the "official" release (although I'm not sure how less "official" a retail release could be).

::::::::Requests::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Mouse wheel scroll or modifier key click to pan the timeline. Between the time indicator, the keyboard arrows, and the mouse wheel there are three ways to scrub the timeline. But there is only one way to scroll down a long list of animation channels (and now with the sequencer, a very much longer list of layers), by grabbing the scroll widget.

Even just making layer selection in the layers window automatically scroll to that layer in the sequencer would help, since layer selection is always matched in both.

2. And it just baffles me why you'd put all the very fine work in adding that gradient scale/rotate/translate gizmo with out extending that functionality to the shading effect as well. This makes shading and halo seem that much more clunky.

3. Animation channel consolidation should be easier to change, like perhaps right clicking a channel icon. Right now you have to go into the preferences for something I can see a lot of people wanting to toggle often.

::::::::::::Bugs:::::::::::::::::::::::

1. It allows the import of unsupported movie formats, which only the first frame and then disappear. Also, trying to then change the source movie will crash ASD.

2. The save dialog for animation export is not the full system dialog with sidebar shortcuts (like 5.6 has). This makes find where you'd like to save harder for no good reason.

3. There should be a way to remove gradient color slots without having to start all over. Also, the method for adding should be a little more explicit in the UI.

:::::::::::::::Tips::::::::::::::::::::

Six easy steps to frame-by-frame (without a switch layer!)

I did this in minutes, very easily. ASD6 comes very close to approximating other frame-by-frame workflows.

Steps-

1.Set a vector layer's visibility to off both before and after the desired 'frame' duration. (i.e. on twos, fours, etc)

2. Draw first frame.

3. Duplicate layer, so that you don't have to reset the visible duration.

4. Delete all, add, and/or change this new layer as needed for next frame.

5. Once you don't need to see the previous frame, this layer can be slid (on the sequencer) to its position on the timeline.

6. Repeat 3, 4, & 5 as needed

No onionskin required, and you can add a "lightbox" layer to fade the previous frame. Here's what the sequencer and layers windows look like for this:

:wink:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Also, with the very strong relationship between the timeline and layers window, I don't see why they couldn't be consolidated entirely.
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

How bout a small video review?

I've been searching keyword 'Anime Studio 6' on youtube for sometime and couldn't find a single vid file.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hey Wes is there any improvement to the line break situation?
You know what I mean, those little darts (or gaps) that appear in joined lines. :?:
DK

Post by DK »

No. I believe It's unfixable. I think it's a result of antialising.

D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

That reminds me, the "little white lines" bug is still not fixed.
DK

Post by DK »

Sorry, thats what I thought Chucky was referring to synthsin75. It could'nt be fixed. Apparently it is related to antialiazing.

Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Just checked, and no, the stroke breaks are still there, Chucky.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dom05ydfnnb

Here's a quick demo swf of ASD6, mostly showing off the gradients and sequencer.

:wink:
chucky

Post by chucky »

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's the kind of glitch that stops AS from reaching pro animators, dang! Sorry to Mike Clifton, but this is a real downer.

Those other timeline , shading and audio features are great though, thanks for showing those off Wes.

Oh BTW Wes that :? mediafire :? is a very dodgy place to ask us to go.
All that nasty advertising, pop-ups and aggressive scripts on those pages make all my warnings and alerts go to full red exclamations.....
That sight is listed as dangerous under every category.....Yucko.
This was one of the few exceptions, I normally have to ignore your downloads,
Is there any other cleaner option you can try?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I run Firefox, and have never had any trouble with Mediafire. If you have any better suggestions, I'm all ears. As long as I uncheck the box before clicking to download, I never get any pop-ups at all there.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I have no problem with mediafire, actually I think it's one of the kindest download sites. Actually I donwload almost every file Synth upload. Maybe on IE or Safari it becomes a monster, but in Firefox mediafire is a kitty.

Thank you Synth for the thread, that features and tips are very promising. We have to wait pro to see blend morph, one of the biggest features to me :D.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I use Firefox and I haven't been hit yet, still I have a site advisor that issues report danger level reports and mediafire prompts the strongest warnings I've ever seen.
Any didn't mean to interrupt the flow, back to the scheduled broadcast.
DK

Post by DK »

The Blend Poses in AS6 is very similar to LightWave's Morph target dialogue box. You can select from a mixture of sliders to create an in-between pose from your entire action library. Very cool indeed.

Cheers
D.K
toonertime

thanks

Post by toonertime »

thanks for taking the time to put up the demo, synth!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hey Synth, seems to be somebody uploaded your demo to youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eTBKp57k8k