I'm confused! (Anime studio 6)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

hnguyen

Post by hnguyen »

selgin wrote:Vern and Mike working together... It's impossible that the new AS be a bad purchase.
Many thanks to Mike and Vern. I'm sold :D
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Re: Feature Comparison "Debut" vs. "Pro"

Post by Lost Marble »

GregSmith wrote:Then, you could humbly admit that those of us who were smart enough not to pay upgrade prices for obtaining the same software with Better, Cooler Naming Schemes, and who wisely waited until the software actually had some tangible improvements that made it faster, nicer and more pleasant to use, were really right all along by waiting until now.
Actually, when Moho became Anime Studio, we offered all existing Moho users a free upgrade to Anime Studio Pro. And there have been some improvements to Anime Studio in the 5.x series, all for free. So if you took advantage of the free upgrade from Moho, it hasn't cost you anything since the Moho days.

You may still not like the current pricing, but this is the first time a Moho user has had to pay a dime to use the Anime Studio product.

-Mike
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Great news Mike! a question regarding the mac version, will there still be support for the old ppc macs?
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Sounds absolutely fabulous guys ;)
GregSmith

Post by GregSmith »

Mike:

I did upgrade for free, and in time, to get Anime Studio Pro, for the Mac - but failed to upgrade freely, in time, to Anime Studio Pro, Windows - which I intended to do, but the upgrade was no longer available by the time I tried to do so.

. . . And I no longer use my obsolete Macintosh . . .

and, just remember:

. . . jingle . . . . "Smith Micro Has Heart, Smith Micro Has Heart" . . . .

. . . . "We Are The Company Who Cares . . . . "

Greg Smith
Agent_Smith

Upgrade Pricing

Post by Agent_Smith »

Sorry for the confusion, it's unfortunate someone in sales decided release information without checking with me first, so again I apologize for the confusion.

Upgrades will be:

Anime Studio 5 to Anime Studio Debut 6 $19.99
Anime Studio Pro 5 to Anime Studio Pro 6 $129.99

I'll post a Debut/Pro feature comparison as soon as I can.

Steve
Genete

Post by Genete »

I know from your reply of my email that the Linux version is not ready at the moment. I know you keep Linux in mind and that you won't forget its development, but please make it visible in the website!

Has anyone seen any change in the tools set. Are the fazek's additions or similar included?

-G
Freakish Kid

Re: Feature Comparison "Debut" vs. "Pro"

Post by Freakish Kid »

Lost Marble wrote:Actually, when Moho became Anime Studio, we offered all existing Moho users a free upgrade to Anime Studio Pro. And there have been some improvements to Anime Studio in the 5.x series, all for free. So if you took advantage of the free upgrade from Moho, it hasn't cost you anything since the Moho days.

You may still not like the current pricing, but this is the first time a Moho user has had to pay a dime to use the Anime Studio product.

-Mike
And that is a fair point!

Seriously guys, from whats being said this is as good as a new piece of software, a lot of time, energy and money has been put into it.

150 bucks is actually tiny in comparison to the work that has been done to the software. And as Mike said, no Moho user has had to pay a dime for AS, i think its time everyone helped the cause!

AND - the software is eons better than Flash, Toonboom or any other 2d software out there - who wouldn't want that for 150 smackers?

Maybe they should raise the price of Pro to 300 - it wouldn't sting so much then...
mykylr

Post by mykylr »

Mike I never had the money to purchase when it was Moho but last year finally got the money together to get Anime Studio pro. So for me nothing was free.

I am not saying that the money folks are wrong in their choice of upgrade cost as I am sure that it would be worth it. Its just surprising in the current climate that the upgrade cost is more than 50% of the total cost of a brand new license.

If and when I get the cash then perhaps I will upgrade... in the meantime I will try 2d animation in my 3d app.

(Go on Mike... Convince me with a list of new features why I have to sell my soul and find the cash somehow. ;)

Cheers

Mike R
GregSmith

Post by GregSmith »

Agent Smith:

How about "crossgrade" pricing for those of us who have Anime Studio Pro 5 for Mac, but want to upgrade to Anime Studio Pro for Windows?

Almost everybody does crossgrade pricing these days . . . and I can provide a list of vendors . . .

. . . . . "Smith Micro Has Heart" . . . . "We are . . . . .

Greg Smith
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

ulrik wrote:Great news Mike! a question regarding the mac version, will there still be support for the old ppc macs?
Yes, we still support PowerPC Macs.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Lost Marble wrote:
ulrik wrote:Great news Mike! a question regarding the mac version, will there still be support for the old ppc macs?
Yes, we still support PowerPC Macs.
I'm glad to hear...I'm ssoooooo curious about the new features! :shock:
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

slowtiger wrote:Some prices of some software I bought:
Apple's OS X - every new version is 225 €.
Apple's Final Cut Express - paid 250 € for v3.5, only to learn that the announced HD wasn't HD. The upgrade to v4 was another 250 €. Don't. Ask.
Logic Pro - bought the first version for 1100 DM, then upgraded about 4 times for 350 € each, plus some virtual instruments which were sold seperately first and were now included. Overall spent about 2500 € for it since 1993.
TVPaint - spent about 1800 €.
The prices for Photoshop updates - don't even mention it. Especially because it's about 50% more expensive here than in USA.

Since I've still only paid under 100 € for AS (when it was Moho 3), 150 $ for version 6 sounds quite fair.
I'm sorry but Mac user over pay for everything.
Agent_Smith

Post by Agent_Smith »

The upgrade price is independent of the platform. You can "Switch" with no issues.
GregSmith wrote:Agent Smith:

How about "crossgrade" pricing for those of us who have Anime Studio Pro 5 for Mac, but want to upgrade to Anime Studio Pro for Windows?

Almost everybody does crossgrade pricing these days . . . and I can provide a list of vendors . . .

. . . . . "Smith Micro Has Heart" . . . . "We are . . . . .

Greg Smith
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

heyvern wrote:2002? It only cost $99 in 2002. That was the "Moho" days. Like a foggy memory...

If there had been regular "quarter price" updates every year since 2002 you would have paid well over the full price.

I am going to say it again. This is still Anime Studio, but the changes are so amazing and extensive it is like a new program. There has to be some value on the work that has gone into it. This aint cheap or easy. They can't give it away. It's worth the price. I've used version 6. The BASE price is cheap. Debut for $50 is cheap. It's all a bargain.

-vern
My first license was a gift. I re-bought it in 05 to have it in my own name and due to a hard drive crash. Not to go into a long story but nothing was backed up on disc.