Is there an IRC server/channel where we can meet?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

do you use Internet Relay Chat (IRC) to chat?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:07 am

yes all the time
31%
yes sometimes
25%
no, what is that?
19%
no, i hate chat rooms
25%

Total votes: 16
donQabron

Is there an IRC server/channel where we can meet?

Post by donQabron »

Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a form of real-time Internet text messaging (chat) or synchronous conferencing. It is mainly designed for group communication in discussion forums, called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication via private message, as well as chat and data transfers via Direct Client-to-Client.

I wonder if there is a place where Anime Studio Forum users can meet on real time? if there is please post the server/channel.

If not can we set one up?
find a trick and work it.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I can't spell well enoughf for the peace of chat rooms.

Dale
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I do it every day for more than 10 years now. Though it's fine to solve some small programmer's riddle here and there, the problems with AS usually need more time and more images to explain. I'd stick to this forum, it's fast enough.
donQabron

I DO NOT WANT TO REPLACE FORUMS

Post by donQabron »

You are correct slowtiger. To solve problems and glitches forums are the best; it keeps a neat log and you can reference it long after its been posted. But this assumes that the only reason to seek other members is when things go wrong or you need help. Sometimes you want to pick some1 else's brain, share, or brag or just talk about ideas. I may use anime studio to produce animation but I also write scripts, I story board, i seek voice actors, i edit/record sound, I may want to chit chat about copyrights. I do not want to search 10 forums when other developers have ways (tips and tricks) to manage their animation business. i.e. i attended an Anime Expo last year and met a gamer who needed animation to complete a video game. after chatting for a while i discovered that he gets alot of help from hungry college students who are willing to volunteer and i can find them hanging out at the mac lab of his school. Well he may have been there to meet an animator but thru chit chatting the conversation led to other related topics that led us to network. I don't want to go to an expo everytime i want to meet other developer i believe this experience can be gotten from a dedicated chat room.

I don't want to be misunderstood: I DO NOT WANT TO REPLACE FORUMS, I want to add another method of communication. Forums, are not a good networking hub per say. for example most people find forums thru google searches to find an answer (or in most cases "a clue") to a problem or confusion. Chi-chat with other developer may turn into group projects, or even exchange information you don't normally don't feel conferable posting on a forum (cracks/peer sharing, ect.). but the element I am really looking for is having a meeting place were us fine people (Anime studio users) can mingle.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Personally, I just use the private message and email. Besides, my internet connection can't always keep up with a chat room.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Chat rooms are fun.

There use to a be a popular one for Animation Master that I visited every wednesday. (it might still be there I just haven't visited it lately). That was the "official" time to connect up but there were people there all the time.

Rarely was the conversation actually about Animation Master or 3D. It was just a chance for people who knew each other on the AM forum to meet and chat in real time. Occasionally some actual application discussions would break out.

The problem I have is the time wasting aspect... with the world wide community you could stay on one of those chat rooms nearly 24/7. As one side of the world went to bed another one was just getting started. ;)

-vern
bleep

Post by bleep »

we usually go to chatango.com to lower ur anger or else we might hav been dead by now :lol:
Genete

Post by Genete »

I used to be connected to IRC for people that are interested on Synfig. People come, ask and eventually have a quick response. Even for very very newbies you can monitor to solve a problem guiding him step by step on line.

Even some of the most asked questions can be triggered by automatic replies, like: "!headturn" and the chat bot can print a link to the head turn thread in the forum or the wiki.

Setup a IRC is very easy and anyone can enter using mibbit.

I vote for it.
-G
Hikifune

Post by Hikifune »

I have actually created a server for this specific purpose since I'm very interested in anime. I'm looking to expand my network and I was wondering if it would be alright in hosting and redirecting an applet on your website to connect your users to my server such as mibbit or you could download the official mIRC program.

I am willing to host this free of charge. I believe this could be very beneficial for this website, as it's a pretty simple feature to set up and I believe users would love a live chat where they can communicate with each other. Moderator positions will obviously be available to yourselves (This means that Owners of the website or leading person in charge of the chat will be able to obtain IRC-Op status) as well. Basically, it's the sites server and you guys can alter, change, and run it in anyway you desire.

I hope someone will consider this offer! o.o
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

be sure to say when its up cause i am so into it. but know i will talk all AS and have many questions lol

RonC
Anime Studio, Xara Xtreme 4, Magix Movie Edit Pro 11, Papagayo, Ableton Live 8, Artrage Deluxe
donQabron

Anime Studio - Sharing is Karing

Post by donQabron »

That is what i am talking about Hikifune. However, not me nor anyone else posting here is an Admin personnel from lostmarble.com. So i am not sure how official this new server can be, and without lostmarble.com web master's involvement, i don't see how we going to implement a redirection applet on this site. People most commonly connect to an IRC network via their own preferred IRC client. I am for keeping it simple and have everyone meet @ a public server/channel and let them worry about getting their own client to connect to IRC.

When i brought up the idea i wanted to use some public server (i.e irc.rizon.net; irc.freenode.net; ect.) a dedicated server can become useful not to host the channel but to aid it. We can use the private server to host bots at our public channel. Not sure how this is done but I understand that we can set up automated bots to respond to forum issues that are either solved or pending. I also understand that bots can be setup to share files. This can be useful because sometimes we produce an effect or create an idea (in Anime studio, or any other way) that we may want to share along with the instructions as a sample. Sharing files are useful for a plethora of reasons. We have a good community going here, we deserve this.

Hikifune, I don't know much about servers but i do know that a place as popular as this one may increase traffic significantly; especially if we can make these ideas practical. can your dedicated server handle it?
Hikifune

Post by Hikifune »

I'm pretty sure that my friendly dedicated server can handle this, donQabron. I understand what you are trying to imply about the bot subject which can be used on the irc server to process shares and etc. My server at the moment can hold up to at least 300 people, but if it does get any bigger, I can easily purchase a new ip or a bigger package to host upon. If you would like, I could contact the administrators of this site, but I have no idea who they are. :shock:
donQabron

tune in 4 d right channel

Post by donQabron »

well Hikifune, neighter do i; hence the simple posting. Lets get it started and let the popularity do the officiating. Right now only 11 people are participating with this subject. Another advantage from using a public channels: it can make us "be found" by the general public already in those servers browsing for channels with similar interest. It would suck to have a server/channel @ 0.

Hikifune, how capable are you with mIRC? you know how to create bots?

slowtiger, heyvern, want to share your chatting wisdom. I been to several servers and nothing comes up when i search for keywords such as Art, Cartoons, animation, toon boon, Anime studio, developers. I run into a ton of anime cartoons from Asia, But everyone is there to download cartoons and talk about Naruto. Not 1 channel there for cartoon developers or any1 interested in the development experience.
Hikifune

Post by Hikifune »

I know mIRC and all of its functions by heart. It's really simple to me. I'm not as familiar with bots because that could deal with the background processes of the server, but my partner is really familiar with them and it wouldn't be a difficult matter for him to set one up. As of now, I have a really small amount of people on my server, about 20 people, which are mostly my friends from a different server, and that's why I'm trying to contact places to expand it into a bigger anime server or even other types of genres. Thanks for your support. :D
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

sooo where is this chat room? i would love to talk AS with ya all

RonC
Anime Studio, Xara Xtreme 4, Magix Movie Edit Pro 11, Papagayo, Ableton Live 8, Artrage Deluxe