Wow....Flash really stinks.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mason

Post by mason »

If you're more comfortable with traditional animation, Flash is a perfectly fine animation tool. More than likely you already done all the animation on paper and are just delivering it in a different way. Shows like Mucha Lucha and Shorties Watchin' Shorties don't build the thing out as symbols. Since they're intended for broadcast most things are just groups and/or new drawings.

Most of my experience in animation is based in 3D and so I love being able to use bones. When I think of an arm moving I think about the way the bone rotations are offset from each other. This makes no sense in Flash, but if I did more traditional animation and I was thinking along the lines of shapes - then Flash all the sudden become a perfectly competant animation tool.

Aside from my preference for bones, the only thing lacking in Flash is onion skinning.

One thing that I like better in Flash is that it's easier to sketch. I find the freehand tool in Moho someone unsatisfactory compared to the brush tool in Flash.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"the only thing lacking in Flash is onion skinning"

I use Flash4 and that already had onion skinning, are we talking about the same thing here? You can see semi-transparent previous frames too see how the frames change over time.

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
mason

Post by mason »

Oh really? That's really funny. Well, I guess I'm more of a Flash 'developer'. That is what I was talking about. Sheesh...I didn't even know about such a basic feature. Thanks! :)

Flash RULES! haha
Yooperville

Agreed ...

Post by Yooperville »

One thing that I like better in Flash is that it's easier to sketch.
I agree. Finally picked up Flash MX this year and the brush tool really surprised me. IMO Flash's drawing tools generally create a faster real-time environment for drawing. Then you start to animate and Moho boots Flash out the door. I think LM is smart to keep development focused on that strength, but I hope they improve the drawing tools in the near future in areas where Flash (etc) still has an advantage. Specifically: palettes, gradients, and (somehow) more real-time feedback on the main canvas. Or better importing to net same effect. Keeping my fingers crossed ...

Best -- Greg.
Andy

Post by Andy »

The next version of Flash is going to get upgrades in the drawing dept so with a bit of luck we will see some good improvements which are long overdue.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

If Macromedia was wise it would take its drawing tools from Freehand and put them in Flash...and then add a few surprises, too.

I don´t care for Flash´s drawing tools, but then Moho´s need some work, too.
Kingman65

flash vs. Moho

Post by Kingman65 »

The only thing I like about Flash, that I wish I could do in Moho is frame by frame drawing. Just old fashioned glutton for pain..
:)
LittleFenris

Re: flash vs. Moho

Post by LittleFenris »

Kingman65 wrote:The only thing I like about Flash, that I wish I could do in Moho is frame by frame drawing. Just old fashioned glutton for pain..
:)
Its a bit of a workaround but you can use switch groups to do frame by frame animation.
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

I suggest you check this out. :arrow: Tutorial 5.7 - Frame-by-frame animation
janimatic

Post by janimatic »

and if u prefer using painter , mirage, commotion, or even paper for tradi animation, you can then use my script to import the resulting image seq in moho
Yooperville

Interesting Discussion ...

Post by Yooperville »

Ran across this the other day. Dated, but still interesting:

http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=fwa ... =130664522

Best -- Greg.
box

Post by box »

If Macromedia was wise it would take its drawing tools from Freehand and put them in Flash...and then add a few surprises, too.
YES! The best drawing tools around. But macromedia...what macromedia? Hopefully those Adobe guys will now tell the Flash developers how to create a range of applications wit a common "look-and-feel".
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

I'm a KoolMoves user but I come here time to time to read this forum. I wouldn't say flash is bad for animation, as it depends what flash program you use.

Like KoolMoves, it has variable lines, bones, particle creator and more. But it doesn't export to avi yet, like Moho. Bones is suppose to be worked on more, some 3D options will be available for next year.

It just all comes down to what you prefer to animate in. So, cheers, and have fun animating with whatever your fancy is. ;)
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

One thing that I like better in Flash is that it's easier to sketch.
Is Moho MEANT to sketch stuff in?

I personally don't like the Flash program. I don't like the Flash "style" of animation if you know what I mean. I mean the style when you use Flash ALONE.

There are few good animations on the web useing only Flash but most of it looks kinda flat and limited looking.

HOWEVER when combined with different programs like Illustrator and After Effects plus have good animators you can get a show like "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" which looks great.

It also looks good when you draw the stuff out on paper and scan it in.

James 8)