Why don't very skilled anime pro users make a feature flim

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

You can first try making cute little shorts like these that help make history...

Jib Jab
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Guys, guys, guys

Chill! This kid is exactly like I was when I was 15, I started animating at 11 years and had made several films by the time I was 16.

If he says he's going to make a film encourage him!

Jackass, go for it man, make your feature. It may not be everything you hoped it would be (who knows maybe it will) and it may take a little longer than a summer break but don't give up, keep at it and learn from the things you do. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it.

I can't tell you the amount of times I was put down when I was younger. I have no art qualifications, did not study animation and have never worked in an animation studio other than my own. You can do it, jump and reach for the stars.

And post your results here, we'll all be waiting to congratulate you when its done.

In answer to your questions, I have 4 feature scripts that I have been working on over the years and when money allows I sit and work on them but i do know some people who make their own features, though i would suggest only animating in AS5 try compositing in another software like After Effects, to give you more scope.

GK
Farbklecks

Post by Farbklecks »

Do you know what?
I'm desillusionated.
I am a bloody beginner in animation, and I know that I don't have the skills even to work for a animated short.
One reason is, I don't have time enough to learn an animation software, and if I could handle it, there are more stuff to learn, a walking cycle of course, how to manage that my characters would have some convincing moves. (realistic drawn or not) and, and, and ...
This all takes a lot of time, more than months...
I know this, and with all these desillusionated comments here, I still like/love animated films, if short or feature length. And I will not stop to dream about a little film made by myself, you can not take that away from me.

I'm creating CD and DVD Cover, that's my present job, but originally I studied / learned illustration, drawing, painting, and I had spent many times in the anatomy courses. And I was for a short time in a class for animation. It all was called "visual comunication".

I didn't show the link of dingo pictures for nothing, these films are often to find here in the german market, mostly in a big box to grab it, and the licences of it are often sold to many distributors, mostly budget companies.
And so I'd get also the job to create the DVD cover.
For this reason I had to watch some of these films.
They have a limited animation as you can see on the website.
(But that's nothing agianst what I had seen in the 70's on TV, well at dutch TV, it was one of the religious channels and they had bought an animated film based on a little story of the bible.
The lips where moving, and nothing more!)

Some years ago
My customers had seen that I had an animation software, Anime Studio.
Hey, they said...
You can imagine what did follow.
People who believe to push the button and it works...
I had made some cartoon illustrations for CD's, so why don't use it for a film?

To be honest I was really thinking about it, but I did know I could never make it alone.
And the major shock was...
... a 70 minute film!
As a beginner, that's impossible!
I thought about some small animations, a compilation of little films for children.
(I know, you professionals are still saying that's also impossible.)
To explain it to them, it would need a screenplay, sketches, a development of the story and the characters..., time! That was a hard work.
They thought I would knit it like a pullover or a sock, - alone.
I went on strike, and it was a crash between us.
Since then I use very seldom AS. - I'm reading here in the forum, desillusionated, knowing that I will never make a film, but I'm reading and hope to learn much about the theory.

And so GreyKid is right, let young Jackass learn, if he wants to create a film, let him do.
(This little music link was for you)
He's in the age when he's got enough time to play around and when he is able to getting the skills he need for his later job.
I'm to old and in my own job I don't have the time, ecxept if there is lottery win.
(Won't work, I'm not playing)

I'm an amateur in animation, but don't think I would be also an amateur in my usual daily jobs.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

To be fair, GK, the kid is still working the tutorials.

There is a huge market out there for mobile vids, an ideal stomping ground for learning what works, what sells etc. No problem in reaching for the stars if your feet are on the ground. The danger of reaching for something unreachable is you give up, disillusioned. If its within your grasp, the smaller reward will lead you forward.

Best advice for JA is go for a short under 3 minutes - its affordable, both in time and budget. Better still is go for 30 seconds - how many TV spots are longer than that? ... in fact making 30 seconders are hard as you have to be more disiplined in the story telling and the edit. All frames have to work for you. And if it doesn't work, no matter, its only a month of work to trash.

Once you have something cool to show, there are places like Atom films which will screen it for you, and if its really hot, they will forward it the Cartoon networks with whom they have a scouting arrangements: Best part of Atom is they share the ad revenue with contributors.

And to fair with the forum, we do provide a heap of help and advice to newbies to ASP and he didn't get flamed too badly.

Rhoel
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Greykid,

You may have a point about a fifteen year old -- but then again, you may not.

The best advice I ever got in my life some (perhaps you) might consider the worst advice: I was around 15 and about as famous as a 15 year old could get back in the day (there were articles about me in the paper, I had appeared on national TV, and all my teachers "knew" I was going to be famous -- my sixth grade teacher handed back the 120 type written page novel I had written for my class project -- when others were turning in a two line poem, or a water color drawing -- and said he was just glad he had the chance to know me as he could then say he knew me then) and my dad turned to me one breakfast morning and said "You realize, of course, that the number of people who actually make it in Hollywood is extremely small, and that you will get rejected a thousand times and have a very difficult time of it."

That was something I had never before considered -- I had just assumed "Hollywood" would come knocking on my door. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized I didn't want to live that life. That fame (and perhaps wealth) wasn't what I really wanted.

So, even though I was making 8mm movies long before the young Spielberg I changed my career path and chose a much safer way to go. The result is I am free (relatively speaking :>) from neurosis, have a beautiful, loving wife, and retired before I was 55 to spend the rest of my life at the pool and making animations that *I* want to do.

Now -- could I have been Stevie Spielberg? Sure, and perhaps, even, I might have been happy. But the odds are that I most likely would have ended up someone far less famous and (more importantly) far more unlikely to actually make their visions come true.

The plain truth of the matter is that it takes FAR more than talent to be a Speilberg -- you need a huge helping of luck, of being in the right place at the right time, and of having your own dreams smashed flat at least a dozen or so times. And, most of all, the ability to fail again and again and not let it stop you. So while it might sound good to say "yeah, by all means go for your dreams" it's actually far better advice to tell the kid -- "kid, it's impossible and don't waste your time."

Because, in the long run, if he doesn't hear it from you he'll hear it from someone, or have it happen to him, and then he *will* be crushed. But, if he hears it from you and says "Screw you, I'll do it anyway!" then who knows, he might, just might, be the one in a million (ten million?) who can get that impossible task completed.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that as well. If someone (anyone) packs it up after simply being told they will fail, they would be apt to lack the dedication needed to make an animation of any significant length.

Personally, I appreciate the views of all of our animation pros (including GK). I think it is wise and healthy to get a realistic look at what an animator may be facing. Encouragement is great, but no one wants to set up high expectations without preparing for the realities.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Guys, guys, guys

Chill! This kid is exactly like I was when I was 15, I started animating at 11 years and had made several films by the time I was 16.

If he says he's going to make a film encourage him!
I say be even HARDER ON THE KID! How are diamonds created? ;)
I can't tell you the amount of times I was put down when I was younger.
Maybe that is the spur to be creative?

The faceless voices here are nothing to the real world rejections. If he gets through this harmless gauntlet he's ahead of the game. I say BRING IT ON! There are some gold nuggets of wisdom in the bitter tales of experience. It's up to "jackass" to use them or ignore them. ;)

-vern
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Hi All,

@ Rhoel. I know you guys went easy, I've seen what monsters you can all be :))) But look at it from his point of view, he's excited and has a passion - which is so rare nowadays in the younger generation. It's just good to hear.

@mkelley I appreciate what you say but the kid posted 1 comment and was jumped on by everyone, we all know how difficult it is and what a massive hill it is to learn animation, its a life vocation. But i don't think its right of us to tell a kid to 'get real' before he's even tried. He has to fail to learn we all know that but thats the point. We should encourage and nature, we haven't seen anything and I think we should withhold judgement until we do.

I understand what everyones point is but I was encouraged by those around me when I was younger and I did fail. I got back up it's what makes us stronger. Now I'm not afraid of failure, I don't think I ever was which I suppose makes me different but if JA has that same stubborn streak it may be a good thing for him.

I read a lot of posts on the forum here, and you guys are so great at giving advice. Really you are its a privilege to be involved with helpful people but at the same time you guys can gut people down so quick its unrelenting! :)))

I was always told 'go for it' i was also told that it would be a hard, long uphill battle to get to where I want to and I'm not there yet, I'm a long way off but I believe I have the determination to get there, one day. Thats the point for me though, I'm never happy with where I am, I have to push my boundaries every time - who knows maybe one day I will be.

My point is this, he's 15 and he has a passion. And I think you more than most people can understand how rare that is. Yes one a million make it but 1 in 10 million probably try. How many kids are more interested in playing computer games and have no idea where they'll be or what they want to do? At least he's has an idea of what he wants which is the most important thing in the world.

Now he may not make it, he may stumble and fall and not get back up, fair enough it wasn't for him but we have to encourage everyone who takes the time to say 'this is what I want to do'.

@synthsin75 But thats the point, no one said (first of all anyway) 'great way to go! give it your best shot' The immediate reply was 'impossible' thats not even constructive criticism. He had a plan and is working out what he needs to do, he'll find out how hard it is and 'he' has to be the one to do that. Now I'm not saying you guys shouldn't criticize just encourage on the same level which appears to be lacking sometimes.

@Vern I can guarantee that most accomplished creatives were not 'crushed' when they were 15. I would bet money on the fact that they were encouraged and nurtured by their friends and family. And when I say accomplished I don't mean famous or uber successful I mean personally accomplished. Its not up to us to discourage a young persons drive or passion.

I know you guys mean nothing bad with your comments, this really is a great place to hang out and chat. But I've seen this type of thread so many times here and just wanted to say something this time.

GK
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

*post deleted by user
Last edited by Jeffrey on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dm

Post by dm »

I agree with GK, go for it.

Welcome to the land of cranky old guys, where the future is hopeless.

When you're in school, there are a lot of resources available to you. Take advantage of them. It's free, after all.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

GK,
GK wrote:@synthsin75 But thats the point, no one said (first of all anyway) 'great way to go! give it your best shot' The immediate reply was 'impossible' thats not even constructive criticism.
I wrote:If you're 15 then that means you've got three years that your parents (or other guardians) are legally required to support you. By all means, take advantage of that.

Granted I'm not as enthusiastic about it, but I did indeed offer some initial encouragement before pointing out the realities of the workload. I assume children nowadays to be smarter than to swallow whole the disingenuous, overindulgent kind of 'award for participation' encouragement they're subjected to. At fifteen, I would have loved the opportunity to be spoken to as an equal by people working in my field of interest.

This is one of the rare places that that can happen. No sugar-coated, dumbed-down "go for it tiger!". And I'd be willing to bet that, with a name like 'jackass', either he's not too serious about it or looking to be taken a bit more seriously than your average fifteen year old.

:wink:
El Samo

Post by El Samo »

OK, so let's jump ahead.

Jackass:
a) Grab your script, read it aloud with some good friends, rewrite as hell.
b) Register your screenplay.
c) Record (as fast as you can) all the lines from all your actors. Try different modulations, different volumes. Record all the variations that you can think of. You never know. Do it in a basement, 2:00 in the morning to avoid street noise.
d) Get some friends at some art institute to paint some backgrounds. As many as they can (it will never be enough). Remember that a simple stroke of paint can work as a BG. Your characters and their emotions will fill the sceen, don't care much about the backgrounds.
e) Phew! That's it. Get releases from all the people involved, take some rest, a good nap. You'll be way, way ahead in your dream.

From then on, the time will work in your benefit. You'll work, you'll learn, you'll redo some things, you'll advance. It will be times, weeks maybe, in which you will not find the time to animate; in other times, you'll work like crazy. Who cares? It's your dream, after all. Go for it.

Never forget the words of Rhoel: go for classic narrative. Do drama. A funny movie is something woth trying, but without drama, nobody is going to care aboout your characters. Make them likable; make them suffer. You don't need money or experience to accomplish that (altough they may came in handy, eh?).

(If I had fifteen and had computers and had Anime Studio, what could have stopped me?) And, above it all, good luck.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Go jackass, go jackass, go jackass.

Good luck buddy. I look forward to hearing about your success.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Jeffrey wrote:
Rhoel wrote: Image
Looks really awesome, I always love these cross-eyed things.
Thanks, setting it up was fun in the head-hits-wall kind of way. I am working on a new website on 3dtv animation, with tutorials and tools on it - was to go be launched today but there has been a server glitch ... even I can't ftp onto the site. The site has a page where you can upload a ASP camera file and get two left and right camera files back. I'll post the link as a new topic when its live again.

But the key thing to note is ASP does 3DTV well, and its not difficult - just use the Z axis to arrange the background elements on the Z - scale, characters and their props at Z 0. and any overlays/foreground elements at Z +. Anything Z+ is float off screen.

Rhoel
Farbklecks

Post by Farbklecks »

Hi Jackass

If you still want to make your own movie...
Here's something to motivate.

This guy here made this movie alone, - nearly alone, with a 3D software.
30 minutes.
(Allright, he had work before at "Final Fantasy", so he's a prof.)
On the DVD which I have seen, was a "making of" and obviously he didn't use any stuff from Autodesk.

"Yonna in the solitary fortress"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P9R4g-D ... PL&index=3
japanese with spanish subtitles
But that doesn't matter, the story is... confusing, not to understand can help.
:P