Should hands be a seperate layer from each arm?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

salp42

Should hands be a seperate layer from each arm?

Post by salp42 »

I was wondering if each hand should be its own switch layer (one open hand, other closed hand)
Also are there any tutorials on making hands? because i think they are the hardest thing to make.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

It depends on the animation effect you are after.

I always use switch layers for my hands -- in actual practice, with enough hands, this seems to be fine for the animation style I try and emulate ("Family Guy/American Dad") although it's not actually what they do (they do some very simple cell animation between hand positions -- although, with enough switch layers, this can be done too).

Some folks here use bones -- both Vern and Wes have some very cool bone rigs. But it's a different style of animation.

In the end it's what looks and works best for you.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Generally yes, the common approach is to make a switch layer for each hand that contains many (usually upwards of fifty) different hand poses. To cut down on some of these layers, some people create a few views in their own bone layers so that each can be easily animated.

Either way it is difficult to interpolate between views, especially while trying to use a bone structure. If you're adventurous, or pretty familiar with AS, you might take a look at my latest approach.

viewtopic.php?t=12808

I do plan on making a complete tutorial one of these days, but for now the example file and posted gifs will have to do.

:wink:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Smoothly interpolating hand shapes is a beast. It's really a pain. If you want smooth interpolation the best bet is bones... or as was mentioned a bunch of "inbetween" switch layers. Even keying the point motion for changing hand shapes would require almost frame by frame animation for the transition.

You just can't rotate points (fingers) and expect the finger to rotate from one position to the next. Point motion is a straight line so you would need frame by frame animation to make the fingers rotate correctly.

A very simple bone set up for hands/fingers might not look as good as hand drawn hands for that exact position but it will give you more variety in what you can do with the hands and they will smoothly interpolate.

-vern
salp42

Post by salp42 »

alright switch layer it is thanks