Some benchmarking results

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

pixelwks wrote:Not trying to be confrontational but seeing no use for render farm capabilities is thinking small.
I'm saying that there are plenty of other features that would benefit current users now much more than a renderfarm capability. I'm not saying in the future that wouldn't be a good addition to the program, just that right now there are other tools that would serve us better so LM spending time on a renderfarm tool wouldn't be the best use of there time right now.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Well, I know too little to dig into this conversation but I have seen several 'setup your own renderfarm'and free renderfarm projects around. Not sure if they are suitable for Moho or only aimed at 3D but on a quick search I turned up this one; it seems -with my limited understanding- toi be a system that might be adapted but someone brainier will know.

http://www.drqueue.org/
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

LittleFenris wrote:Barry Baker seems to be the best I've seen so far with that Health cartoon he did (with the cat and pig in it). Other than that I haven't seen anything near that level of quality. I'm sure Moho is capable, just needs the right users behind it. If you have any other good examples please let me know, I love watching quality animation.
Just wait. heh heh heh :P

(Maybe I'm anal, but I have it all planned out - a long series of animations, each with a series of "goals", each getting progressively harder, ending with a full length feature musical. I got plans!)
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

bupaje wrote:Well, I know too little to dig into this conversation but I have seen several 'setup your own renderfarm'and free renderfarm projects around. Not sure if they are suitable for Moho or only aimed at 3D but on a quick search I turned up this one; it seems -with my limited understanding- toi be a system that might be adapted but someone brainier will know.

http://www.drqueue.org/
This might be more feasible for Moho once a non-GUI batch rendering mode is available. It would be easy to wrap Moho in, say, a Perl or Python script, and send jobs out to networked machines (something like the little farm script that was bundled with Blue Moon).
7feet

Post by 7feet »

One of the things I would have to say is that just because it hasn't been posted here doesn't mean it isn't being done. I have one piece in particular that I've been working on that involves a few hundred layers all translated in 3d, where a 10 second shot takes 10-12 hours to render (P2.4 gig, gig ram). I have a pile of old corporate salvage pentium II 233's that would make a perfectly servicable render farm. So if it was possible to set one up, I would love it. A command line renderer would make it all cake. Now, for myself, what I'm working on I'm rendering with the intent to be able to transfer it to 35mm, so it's a bloody huge resolution. And that takes a godawful amount of time to render. Sending off individual frames to the doorstops would be a Great Thing.

I strongly second the idea that being able to do this would help with real shops getting with the program. I've been happily pimping Moho to everyone I know who's even peripheraly related to animation since I found it. Hell, I wouldn't have spent so much time scripting if I didn't think it had become a proper tool. So, beyond the occasional bug fix, I would put this right about at the top of the list for things I would like to see. I suspect that Barry isn't the only pro on the ball. Just because you don't see it here doesn't mean it ain't being done.

--Brian
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

7feet wrote:I suspect that Barry isn't the only pro on the ball. Just because you don't see it here doesn't mean it ain't being done.

--Brian
I'm sure he isn't the only pro using Moho, he's just the only one I would consider pro quality that I've seen on the forums so far. If you know of more please let me know, I would love to see what else Moho has done.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

LittleFenris wrote:If you know of more please let me know, I would love to see what else Moho has done.
There's lots of pro-quality stuff in the gallery:

http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/gallery/index.shtml
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

LittleFenris wrote:
7feet wrote:I suspect that Barry isn't the only pro on the ball. Just because you don't see it here doesn't mean it ain't being done.

--Brian
I'm sure he isn't the only pro using Moho, he's just the only one I would consider pro quality that I've seen on the forums so far. If you know of more please let me know, I would love to see what else Moho has done.
Some of the stuff done in Europe (the gallery samples) is pretty damn good, like the one of the two girls sitting on the couches or the farting pig song or the one with the girl singing in Hebrew. I think those are all pro quality productions.
jorgy

Thanks to Moho for command line rendering!!!!

Post by jorgy »

Having command line access to rendering makes batch and renderfarm all possible! I can't wait to set all of my stuff up with "make"!!!

Thank you once again, Lost Marble! You rock!