VTC Anime Studio Pro Video Tutorial

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Mark Bremmer wrote:I actually haven't upgraded yet and am still on ASP7.
Hi Mark,

Are there any thought process in doing a ASP 8 Quick Start for VTC or a totally new full tutorial. I haven't even looked at ASP 8 yet but I have been told the UI has dramatically changed. If true, that would certainly be grounds for a new complete tutorial.
banjar

Post by banjar »

Mark Bremmer wrote:I actually haven't upgraded yet and am still on ASP7.
It's hard to believe that it's been almost two years since I last annoyed you folks with my posts. All this time I've been wrestling with ToonBoom Animate and now ASP8 has made me do a U-turn.

It has always been a pain to me that ASP didn't import Illustrator and Flash files more elegantly. Version 6 used to import my Illustrator files into a single pile of twisted spagetti but Version 8 brings them half way in with the error message "Too many points" -- the same file that ToonBoom Animate imports with ease. So, there is some improvement, I suppose. But now with this ability to import Poser figures, I gotta give the program another look.

So, I have been going through Mark Bremmer's two previous tutorials with a good deal of pleasure. What a great teacher! What a golden voice!

But he ought to be better informed by the Anime Studio boys of their progess in upgrades. Why they don't let their tutorial authors have first look at new products, is a mystery to me. What better way to promote ASP than to also teach people how to use it? And now VTC is two versions behind in their tutorial library. Is that progress?
Last edited by banjar on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark Bremmer

Post by Mark Bremmer »

I'll ping the folks at VTC. Like many businesses, they pulled back in the rate of new tutorial releases because of the economy. But I think ASP is due now.
I have a dysfunctional need to create images and animations.
- - - -
Anime Studio Pro tutorials are here: www.markbremmer.com
Tori

Post by Tori »

Mark Bremmer wrote:I'll ping the folks at VTC. Like many businesses, they pulled back in the rate of new tutorial releases because of the economy. But I think ASP is due now.
Mark - Let us know if you need anything from us at Smith Micro, we'll happily get you the new version - send me a message with your email address. :)
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

That is very cool Tori! ;)
Mark Bremmer

Post by Mark Bremmer »

Thanks Tori. I've PM'd you. Very nice to see you in the forums!
- - - -
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Hi Mark, does it help to vote in the VTC wishlist? Do they use these numbers to determine when to make tutorials?
Mark Bremmer

Post by Mark Bremmer »

Hi Info,

They do consider the votes. But I also have been told that ASP sells pretty well for them - which is a big vote. The combo could be good!

I did ping them earlier this week and was told that they will be creating new assignments on July 12, so I may have an answer sooner rather then later.

Mark
- - - -
AniPierre

Post by AniPierre »

While I love the existing Anime Studio tutorials on VTC, I would love to see a tutorial that firstly covers the new additions (naturally), but also takes a single project from beginning to end, much like the Anime Studio Pro 5 tutorials.

In other words, let's just assume that you are producing a 30 second commercial. You need to create all the art assets from sketch to final, usable artwork (a good opportunity to showcase the autotrace function). Then you can show the "best practices" in setting up a number of types of shots; a two person dialogue shot, a walk cycle, the integration of Photoshop into the Anime Studio workflow (lets say to feature the item being advertised), point animation and so on.

It would certainly benefit me to see this kind of "real-world" scenario as well as show Anime Studio being used in a "professional" light.

Just my two cents!
Pierre
banjar

Post by banjar »

AniPierre wrote:While I love the existing Anime Studio tutorials on VTC, I would love to see a tutorial that firstly covers the new additions (naturally), but also takes a single project from beginning to end, much like the Anime Studio Pro 5 tutorials.

In other words, let's just assume that you are producing a 30 second commercial. You need to create all the art assets from sketch to final, usable artwork (a good opportunity to showcase the autotrace function). Then you can show the "best practices" in setting up a number of types of shots; a two person dialogue shot, a walk cycle, the integration of Photoshop into the Anime Studio workflow (lets say to feature the item being advertised), point animation and so on.

It would certainly benefit me to see this kind of "real-world" scenario as well as show Anime Studio being used in a "professional" light.

Just my two cents!
Pierre
That would probably make an entirely different tutorial. Personally, I like Mark Bremmer's approach on the ASP 5 and 6 tuts -- straight foreward, no nonsense, and precisely covering all aspects of the software in a logical and useful manner.

I like your idea, but my two cents is that he stay the course, do what he has been doing, and maybe offer what you are suggesting as a secondary tutorial.
Ronbo

Re: VTC Anime Studio Pro Video Tutorial

Post by Ronbo »

I've noticed that a new tutorial for Anime Studio Pro 9 is currently in production at VTC. It does not say who the author is, but I'm guessing it's our friend Mark Bremmer. Looking forward to it! :D
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I remember him saying he was talking about doing an update with VTC on ASP8 and they were interested in doing it but wanted to wait. I guess they know the development cycle for ASP and are now choosing to due one every third or forth cycle.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
Mark Bremmer

Post by Mark Bremmer »

Hi Folks,

This thread was the first that I was aware VTC was doing an ASP 9 tutorial. Over the last couple of years, VTC scaled back all of their creative software tutorials in favor of business packages because of the economy. I was told I would be contacted when they ramped up again.

VTC also migrated to a "subit a proposal for a tutorial" model from the authors. I, being stupid and assuming that they would re-engage past authors when things picked up again, didn't submit a proposal for ASP 9. Oooops. After seeing this thread, I got in touch with VTC and had the new rules fully explained to me.

So, I'm a free agent now and am talking with a couple of other firms regarding some tutorials I've done historically. I'm sure that the VTC ASP 9 author is competent but I don't know who it is.

Regards,
Mark
- - - -
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I'm sorry to hear that you're not working on this one, Mark. You did a great job with the previous ASP tutorials.

Just out of curiosity, have you spoken with the people at lynda.com? I've requested a couple of times through the years that they produce more 2D animation tutorials for programs other than Flash, such as ASP, Toon Boom Animate, and TVPaint Animation. But they continue to focus primarily on 3D and confine their 2D tutorials solely to Flash (and After Effects).
Mark Bremmer

Post by Mark Bremmer »

Talking to several firms. ;-)
- - - -