Anime Studio Quality

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello again!

Sorry if I appear like the bad guy again, but I cannot help it :)

In a previous post I mentioned several tv shows and movies made with Flash, like Atomic Betty, Quads, Chaotic(Who I believe is made with TB now) and many more.

Flash has a huge user base, hense it's many use in the field of tv series production.

Toonboom has a studio oriented set of tool, and true AfterFX has better composition, but Toonboom comp is adequate for the most part and it is already integrated in Toonboom pipeline.

I am sure ASP is used in many studios, but never heard of any making large scale tv series with it.

And yes I do believe that asp will ammount to an incredible studio tool, it is impressive as it is, but at the moment, as far as I know, except for a few studios like you guys, not so many uses ASP in tv series, and even then, those are small shorts in limited quantities.

It is really about the artist not the tools, but specialized tools will always have the bigger parts in productions, at least, from my experience.

I work mostly in 3D. At work, we use 3D tools that sells in the many K, even though there are free 3D package out there, that is because these expensive tools can chunk out the job much faster, same goes for 2D, again, from my experience.

BTW, the reason I am writing this, is because I use ASP, now, if I thought other tools we're best, i'd use them instead! :)

I think it is important not to idealize a piece of software and be truthful about it. ASP rocks, but it has shortcomings that needs workarounds, this said, it really does rock!

One last thing, what could make ASP a better contender, in my opinion, would be a better workflow for point animation, a bit tedious at the moment, just my two cents here, plz do not throw rotten banana's my way! :)

G
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

I remember when Flash first came out - actually a few versions on. John K was spearheading it for animation production and no one would touch it. It's exactly the same for ASP (and I know that some major productions use it in their pipeline).

And 3d is not the same as 2d in production. Mainly because the TD's needed for 3d is massive in comparison as literally the software generates the whole deal.

Not so with 2d. All work is still drawn by hand then 'built'with the drawing tools which are all variations of the original Illustrator tools.

So I hear what you are saying but it's in now way the same as 3d. Never will be otherwise digital 2d production would cease to be made as it would be far too timeconsuming and expensive.

Anyway the point is that producers do use this software - even some of the massive sweatboxes in the east. They dont use it solely but no production should rely on one package to make their show.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Freakish Kid wrote:but no production should rely on one package to make their show
Totally agree with you on this one, we use tons of tools, even varies depending on the job.

True 3d and 2d are different beast altogether and hell, I remember using AFX for 2D animation, so it says allot.

Anyhow, I am sticking with ASP for 2D, even trying to convince the boss to buy a few licences for some in house projects we have, as part of our pipeline.

It is only by using ASP that it will get it's share of the production pie and I hope to be part of it.

Keep at it, let's encourage Smith Micro to keep at it too and it will have a brilliant present and future.

Love Cluckie btw! :)

G
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

GCharb wrote:
Freakish Kid wrote:Anyhow, I am sticking with ASP for 2D, even trying to convince the boss to buy a few licences
Two questions -

1: are you using 5.6 or 6.1, and
2: If you are using 5.6, will you get 5.6 new licenses.

Reason being - if you are working on a series, you are stuck in that version groove until you finish. And that can be a year or more for a series - no production chief will allow a switch mid-stream, especially since 6.1 is not backward compatible with 5.6.

Which raises the question whether SM will sell 5.6 licenses to existing 5.6 studios.

Rhoel
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Rohel wrote:6.1 is not backward compatible with 5.6.
Still 5.6 here, plan on upgrading soon, just been busy with some other work.

G