It's been long enough Smithmicro

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

banjar

Post by banjar »

I learned Flash, Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, Poser and a variety of other difficult-to-learn-and-complicated softwares from tutorials. So, as an experienced dumb-ass and idiot, I can say that one of the biggest mistakes software companies make is in their tutorials.

The idea seems to be that "It's our software so who would know it better than we?" Not necessarily true. By being so close to their own work, they make false assumptions about what the user knows and overlook the mental links that the user needs to understand how the software works.

In graphics art tutorials, especially, there is also a very important difference between whether the teacher is merely a computer geek working at a software company or an actual graphic artist who knows how to use the software. I have studied tutorials from both kinds of teachers and those from people who actually use the software to produce art, are far superior to those by people who only know how to click the buttons and make things go. That vital little attribute called "insight" can only come from a real artist who knows what it takes to create art on a computer.

But also tutorials have a voice-over, so a pleasant voice is a plus. And being able to explain the software without either cutting corners or going the other extreme and plodding along with wordy BS, is an art in itself.

So, don't think that doing a tutorial is easy. It takes as much planning and script writing as any other kind of video production. But if any of you artists make a tutorial for Anime Studio, I'll be the first to buy it.

It's not enough to have all the tools in the shop; if you don't know how to use them, what's the use?
tiannaidan

new version of AS

Post by tiannaidan »

Ok..I'm new to using AS from other software like flash and 3D.I am still trying to figure out most of the features because they are different from what I'm used to.My only real complaint is the basic tutorials are a little too basic.That's why I'm here bugging others on how to do even simple things.But I have seen a lot of great examples of animation done by those who already understand how it works.I've seen what it can do.I just have the standard version now but will upgrade to pro later AFTER I learn how to use it.It's a great program as is.Maybe there could be some things changed to make it more flow productive, but considering how cheap it is compared to most other programs that require you to get a government bail out to purchase then have a new version of that come out the next week.Go animate.Otherwise just do something else and forget it.
Mark Bremmer

Post by Mark Bremmer »

Hi All,

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi. Please let me know if you have any questions about the tutorials I did on ASP and I'll see if I can help out.

Back to deadlines! :D

Mark
I have a dysfunctional need to create images and animations.
- - - -
Anime Studio Pro tutorials are here: www.markbremmer.com
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Your a good man Mark and your tutorials are top notch.

As far as the next version of AS goes, the longer it takes the longer I get to keep what is in my wallet.
human

Post by human »

Mark,

Just to repeat what I already said in the VTC thread, your work on the VTC tutorials is phenomenal.

You have a fine, pleasant voice, you're very articulate and also very precise, and you try to avoid flubs. Your lessons are well-organized, and the audio and video quality is excellent. The coverage is quite well-rounded . . . You were even diplomatic about the shortcomings of the user interface while showing people how to work around them. And to top it off, the amount of training provided is amazing.

I'm known for being, ahem, opinionated. Obviously, I complain freely when I think I should, but by the same token, I also like to recognize dedicated and talented efforts.

I hope everybody gets behind your unique contribution.

(My idea of nirvana would be another version of AS that addresses my concerns with usability, and which bundles an updated training course from you.)
Mark Bremmer

Post by Mark Bremmer »

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Glad the tuts helped out.

I have yet to meet the "perfect" program. It's probably a good thing I haven't or I might never leave work. The cumulative software frustrations build all week which makes leaving the office on Friday that much sweeter. :D

I try to help out here but heyvern, slowtiger and others are pretty speedy with great replies and typically beat me to the answer. This has to be one of the most user friendly forums I've ever come across.
I have a dysfunctional need to create images and animations.
- - - -
Anime Studio Pro tutorials are here: www.markbremmer.com