Obj in ASP

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Atout66

Obj in ASP

Post by Atout66 »

Hi all,

I see in the comparative chart between AS and ASP that ASP can load 3D object in obj format.
My question is: what is it for ?
Is there, like in MangaStudio EX a plugin to draw the outline of the object ? They say, about MangaStudio EX:"...use EX's 3D Line and Tone Rendering to convert them to backgrounds and props for your comics"

Is it the same in ASP ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english ;-)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The 3D layer feature in AS Pro is fairly limited. It only imports .obj files. You can't do much "animating" with 3D layers beyond very simple warping. You can distort the object with bones, sort of like warping an image layer with bones. You can't place bones in "3D" space for creating true 3D characters but you can do simple heads or objects.

I have never used it much myself. Not an expert with it. I do know that some people seem to have trouble linking the textures when importing .obj files.

-vern
Atout66

Post by Atout66 »

OK, thanks heyvern. I've found some more info in the User's Manual also.

Cheers.
chucky

Post by chucky »

The obj import is just too limited at present,I've had a few plays with it, with the will to get excited about the possibilities.
Unfortunately it always ends in a mournful sigh and a comment like" I don't think so" or some such.
It could make a decent reference layer, if it did a nicer toon render then environment and props might be good , at the mo' I think it just so happens that you can import obj..... :roll:
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Yep.

You could import an obj building to rotoscope for a crane shot for example,
but frankly you'd be better off rendering out in your 3D app and importing the video file and using THAT for reference, I reckon.
Atout66

Post by Atout66 »

madrobot wrote: ... but frankly you'd be better off rendering out in your 3D app and importing the video file and using THAT for reference, I reckon.
That's the way I see it too :wink:

Thanks to all.
chucky

Post by chucky »

... but frankly you'd be better off rendering out in your 3D app and importing the video file and using THAT for reference, I reckon.
Soooo many middle men in this world eh?
I guess a few more can't hurt.
I only said it could make good reference I was trying to suggest ways it COULD be useful, madrobot. :wink:
Flame on dude :P
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

:D

I was agreeing with you.
You know, like you and Atout66 are at the bar having a polite conversation,
and some dork weights in over your shoulder, basically paraphrasing
what you already said, but throwing a few words of his own on the end
thinking that makes him look smart. Silent farts, leaves.

That's me dude. :)

I was actually thinking of doing my opening shot that way, hence the example. But I think I might do it a bit simpler (straight up track in.)

To finish in character:
I think it's important to involve as many middle men as possible, can we script import from Zbrush and Motionbuilder 5.5 please. I'll use Modo to model objs, and swift for flash. Yay
phastraq

Post by phastraq »

I have actually been working on a feature length animated movie for a couple of years now and I have been forced to do some unconventional things with ASP.

While I agree that the 3d is limited it has proven VERY useful to me.
I have an opening scene in my movie that features a car driving through a city. I wanted the 3d feel so we built the city out of flat layers in ASP. There were a few problems related to the complexity of what we wanted to do but the results were not that bad.

Further to that we decided to load a real 3d vehicle into our suedo 3d world. That worked better than we expected. I was able to add cartoon outlines to the 3d object. Not only that but using the shadow feature I was able to add a permanent "cartoon" outline regardless of the angle of the camera.

3D is useful in ASP, it just depends on what you wanna do with it and you can't expect the full functionality of a 3D prog like 3DS Max or Maya.
phastraq

Post by phastraq »

Just thought I would show a few examples of 3D in ASP from what i have been working on.
[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/1789352[/vimeo]
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

That looks really cool, phastraq!

Could you possibly elaborate a bit more on how you were able to add cartoon outlines to the 3D object?
phastraq

Post by phastraq »

It's built in to the prog already.

When you import a 3D object just go to the properties and you will see a "3D Options" tab.

In there you will see options for default colour and edge colour.

Edge offset sets the thickness of the outline. You can also choose to warp the objects using bones but I have never really tested that feature.
chucky

Post by chucky »

unfortunately if your obj is textured the lines don't show , so you will have to trace over it with a vector layer to create the lines .... as in this topic.

viewtopic.php?t=11957
phastraq

Post by phastraq »

If you use a textured object you can still add outline by using shadow.

It won't trace all the contors but you will have a nice solid line on the outside of your object.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Unfortunately phastrak, this hasn't worked for me - maybe there a different version of the script.
What I have been getting is a copy of the model with the faces shaded, but the image texture disappears,and is approximated by the simple shading the more increments of the shading you use both slows down the process and looks chunky and a bit nasty.
Do you have a different script?