Frequent Crashes

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TSanders

Frequent Crashes

Post by TSanders »

I'm not really sure if this is where I should be asking this sort of thing... but I'm having trouble with Studio (Pro on Mac) crashing... quite frequently (every half hour or so). I love the software but am wondering if this is a common problem... and if there is a patch or something I should be downloading? It doesn't seem to be a problem that's restricted to certain actions or processes.

Also having trouble with scroll buttons ceasing to function from time to time (in the layers menu, timeline, etc). This problem is especially bothersome as I'm working on an animation but can't access my top layers in the layers palette.

I'd appreciate any help/advice. Thanks. :)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There is a mac specific update (for Leopard I believe not sure) that is floating around in one of the threads here. It is a version of 5.6. I don't know if it is "official" yet. The developer put this version up that fixed some mac issues that couldn't be completely varified. Be aware that this update changes some other things relating to rendering of image layers. Some people didn't notice it or weren't bothered by it... others were.

---------

Watch carefully as I transcend time and space, search for the link and instantly paste it right here:

viewtopic.php?t=10914&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

-vern
pinar

Post by pinar »

I had a similar problem. When I was rendering on Mac the program shut down all of a sudden. It hurts to use AS in windows on a Mac...
pa
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

pinar wrote:I had a similar problem. When I was rendering on Mac the program shut down all of a sudden. It hurts to use AS in windows on a Mac...
Have you tried the update link above?

-vern
areyouguystwins

Post by areyouguystwins »

Yup. We have the same problem of frequent crashes using Anime Pro 5.5 (we have 5.6 but we haven't used it yet, as we didn't want to interrupt our large animation project with going to the new version).

We have the crashes on Vista and Windows XP. Come to find out, the majority of the crashes are when one imports into the layer box or when one moves layers around in the layer box. We have also had crashes manipulting bones. We have never had crashes using point animation (drawing tools).

Oh well, we have learned to live with it by saving every 1-2 minutes and saving after we import anything into Anime and saving after we move layers around.

We also save a bak file every 5-10 minutes while we are working on the animation.

On Windows -- CTRL S becomes your friend while using Anime.

With regard to the scroll bars missing, we get that funky problem every once in awhile. The scroll bar will disappear from the layers menu. All you have to do is expand the menu box and the scroll bar comes back -- kind of irritating, but it is what it is.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I would suggest you at least have someone test out 5.6 to see if it stops the problems. It is true that you shouldn't change versions during production but if the problems are THAT bad it would be worth it. 5.6 is a free upgrade and the changes in it are not that extensive. I've been using it on both Windows and Mac for awhile now without crashes... and I create some pretty wonky files.

It might be caused by something else. Are these crashes on multiple systems? Like a team? 5 computers with AS all crashing? Have one person on your team do a selective test to see if the very latest version reduces the problems. No risk.

I noticed from one of your other posts that you were creating extremely large files with very long time lines. This will definately put a strain on AS and potentially cause issues.

-vern
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Not to hijack the thread (because the OP was talking about the Mac version) but when "twins" chimed in about problems on XP in terms of moving layers around I thought I'd mention this.

I have indeed noticed that using the move layer tool can pretty consistently cause crashes when the layer intersects with the vector image below it. This is particularly true when you are zoomed out (that is, where the image you are moving on that layer is fairly small in relation to the screen).

I've gotten to the point where when I need to move layers I zoom in and then save -- I almost never get a crash then (of course) but if I don't do this I can get AS to crash about 50% of the time.

(To qualify -- the layers I'm moving in these cases are nearly always switch layers contained in a master bone layer. I don't experience any crashes in AS under any other circumstances).
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I suggest trying out 5.6 for Mac. It won't hurt your project as far as I can think...

With raster layers, I also get crashes every now and then when I'm using the translate layer tool and I hover over a point trying for accuracy (Happened with Windows and Mac). So I save often. But I somehow think you'll have better luck with the 5.6 application. Use the update link vern supplied. I think that's what I'm using, and I'd say I have crashes about once or twice a day, sometimes never, sometimes a couple times a day, and I use AS quite a bit. Come to think of it I can only remember AS crashing when I'm using the translate layer tool with raster layers. Can't remember it crashing when translating vector layers though. I could be wrong.