Somethings happening...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

heyvern wrote:You guys might want to look into print on demand self publishing. it gives you all the control AND more of the money.
I'd second this for small run books - especially if you have access to software which can output pdf x1a format. I published a limited run book several years ago, using PagePlus DTP because I couldn't afford Quark (the cost of the Quark license was the same as the total project cost).

I still have PagePlus 9 on my machines and still use it - best $100 dollars ever spent. I use it now for storyboard presentation.

Rhoel
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

heyvern wrote:If not to make a fortune at least to please your fans desperate for the magical book! ;)
I'm desperately waiting for your own magical book/site too, vern :wink: .
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

I agree that there are a lot of advantages to going down the self-publishing route. However, if the book is going to be as big as they want it to be, it's going to take a great deal of time and effort it put it together, and GK probably don't want to commit to that without some money up front.

Just brain-storming here, but what about a subscriber's only site that lets people get access to animator's tutorial blogs and videos that document the development process during the actual production. That would give GK some supplemental income during production and then they could release the book, and perhaps even a DVD at the end.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Just brain-storming here, but what about a subscriber's only site that lets people get access to animator's tutorial blogs and videos that document the development process during the actual production. That would give GK some supplemental income during production and then they could release the book, and perhaps even a DVD at the end.
Yeah, or even produce the 'book' a chapter a month to subscribers as a PDF download and then release as a complete (printed) book at the end of 12 months or something ? This would spread the production of the book into manageable chunks and bring in a little income atleast while it's being created. I used to be a member of the Don Bluth animation club which released a magazine every 2 months or so giving animation hints and tips. It was great at the time and I still have all the mags now.
blacksunproject

Post by blacksunproject »

I love this thread!!!
Seriously guys, keep on posting!
We'll make them feel "guilty enough" to publish the dang book!!!
(PDF of course, we want make sure it's cost effective for you Greykid)
Sorry, but, we recognize great work and we are loyal fans!!!

Gustavo
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

@ Baterfield

Yes, Williams' book is a gold resource that covers absolutely everything you need to know about timing, weight, motion, lipsync. If no one has it who's reading this thread then you need to get it now! (or we won't publish our book - heheh)

The book plans to cover everything that we've done in the 3 years since we started work on La Reine Soleil. We intended to include all artwork that you don't usually see. The designs that were rejected and why, how we comp a shot, why I comp it that way (yes, as owner of the company, and creative director I am present at every comping session - doing many of them myself to get everything I want in a shot)

It would include the company history, what we produce for presentations and pitches, how I pitch. How we don't understand the words 'I think thats enough!'. everything.

I really wanted to produce a definative guide to produce - I intended to include every panel of our storyboards and the latest versions of our digital boards... EVERYTHING!

@blacksunproject

Thanks man, thats very sweet. But you keep praying to that big animator in the sky!

If we decided to sell artwork (actual original artwork from productions) would you guys buy it? It may be another way to raise funding for the book.

@heyvern

Hey...Vern!

Being a production studio I'm afraid, 'making money' plays a massive factor in what we do and when we do it. But I have looked into the self publishing in the past., if we don't get a publisher it would probably be the way we went.

@Rudiger
You hit it right on the head - we don't want to make something thats below our own standards. As you all know we have really high marks we like to hit and only feel that doing something this big needs to be done properly. Unfortunately that costs money.

One of the reasons that no interest was taken is perhaps the fact that we are not as well known as other studios. Could you image how many publishers would be jumping over each other to produce the same kind of book for Pixar? (I'm not comparing us, just making a point of our relatively unknown name)

The subscribers site is an interesting idea, maybe something to look into. Once again though the cost of setting up a site like that could be quite expensive.

DVD tuitions are quite interesting as well but for me (I hate any kind of teaching - I prefer self tuition) I'd rather give you a mouth watering book full of so much goodness the world explodes!

@AmigaMan

Again, interesting idea (man I used to be addicted to all that Don Bluth did - he was my idol when I was a teenager - he made his first animated short (after leaving Disney) in his garage.) But again, I wouldn't want to split it up at all. It'd be too frustrating!

@blacksunproject

Yeah keep posting - its good to hear all your thoughts (even though, unfortunately, it seems to be the same guys!)

Get that petition of names - I'd really be interested in seeing how many people would actually buy the book.

GK
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I'd be very interested in a book as well. Do you have any idea of the retail price range? I'd imagine that people who only paid $50 for AS standard would only be willing to cough up something relative to that, but I know good text books are usually priced around $50.
KenW

Post by KenW »

You can add my name to the petition. Your work is truly inspiring to me ! :)
PatrickS

Post by PatrickS »

Hey guys, I thought something was "happening"?
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Good luck with Baby GK -- "Grey Grandkid"?
masterx

to the folks at GreyKid:

Post by masterx »

As you are already in the production business, you have your hands full with a production... When you get your production to the channel, then by all means PLEASE consider a retry of the publishing dummy for your book. BUT this time consider creating a team to self publish the full text proof ready complete with cover art. Then consider one of the online publishers that can put the book online for pay-per-download. As I was reading all the encouragement from others, I almost wanted to jump up and say PICK ME... unfortunately with all I have on my plate all I can do is attempt to point to a source and say 'try that'. When you said "some companies don't recognize gold" I would say most certainly they don't recognize PLATINUM. What you describe for your book in the notes I see pub'd here in the forum say that this is something that would sell in Amazon's list! Don't give up. Finish the Nick thing THEN put together a team and get the FULL dummy made up! Get some folks cranking on some LyX enabled machines and do it. Also as a note: Have you considered connecting with Amazon's staff on this matter, they have a number of resources available for people looking to publish...? Go for the jugular!
"Whaddaya mean I don't have DLL'S in Mac???"
sfb

Add my name too

Post by sfb »

I would definately buy this book for myself. If the price was in-line with other animation books I've purchased, I would also buy a copy for my local library to add to the count :lol:

Scott
BunyanFilms

Post by BunyanFilms »

Deal me in!

Your book would be excellent.
mn8

Post by mn8 »

Hello all,

I have been lurking on these forums for month and months waiting for the release of GreyKid's book.. please don't give up on making the book.

We, the fans demand it!! :oops:
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

its 4 am in the morning and I'm still working on my show...

Does anyone else ever get the feeling that we artists are complete lunatics?