What are 3 top animation programs used today?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Zefyrie

What are 3 top animation programs used today?

Post by Zefyrie »

What programs are the top animation programs used today?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

uhm, today i have used anime studio pro and pap free, but the last one not too seriously. i suppose these are my top today, i don't know tomorrow.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

The top three that are free;

Daz studio
http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/studio/-/

Art of illusion
www.artofillusion.org/

Alice
www.alice.org

Just kidding:)

Everyone has their favorites. For me, It will change according to what I'm doing. Their is no one or three programs that can do everything extremely well.

Dale
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Please have a look here:

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=page ... le_no=3583

Cheers
Nolan
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Depends on how you define "top" (which someone kind of alluded to here by mentioning free programs).

If you mean "used by the major animation houses" then the answer would undoubtably be custom software. Nearly all houses (like Pixar) use custom written software for their animation, or at least *some* custom software (the other rule is that all major studios use lots more than just one software program to put together their work). If you mean by hobbyists then you will get a quite different answer.

If you mean "top selling" then you also have to define whether you mean number of units or total dollars.

Finally, you probably should clarify what you mean by "animation programs". Do you mean 3D, 2D or both? Do you mean producing animation for web use, for television and/or movies or both?

Now -- if you just mean what are the "top" programs used by people on this site the answer is very obviously going to be Anime Studio first. Then I would think Toon Boom would be second, and perhaps that free 2D software that Genete (I think) keeps on about.

(My own top programs are AS first, then 3D Max, and then perhaps FantaMorph).
kashak

Post by kashak »

Hhhmm, thanks for interesting link - I never read such a survey, it was interesting and if we believe to author, results are unexpected :o
I primarily use 3ds max for 3D but now for a while ago have made good friendship with Anime Studio and 2D generally.

After reading this post I was convinced for what I felt inside me - pencil rocks the world!
chucky

Post by chucky »

What about RETAS looks fairly top notch to me, Maya and 3dmax?
marcotronic

Post by marcotronic »

Hi,

in the 3D field it´s undoubtedly Maya which is most often used in professional production houses. It has been used in most feature films you see nowadays. I would say it´s followed by Softimage XSI and 3DSMax (ordered by occurrence in production houses for this special purpose I suppose)

Marco
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

The Combine power of Anime Studio, Macromedia Flash and Adobe photo shop beats every thing in 2D animation field.

- Much better out come in very short time.
- They hav Every thing u need to make any type of cartoon anime etc..
Visit: My blog
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

realsnake;

Add Aftereffects if you got the money.

If you can't make 2d animation with these programs start looking at the animator not the software.

Dale