Version 5.6

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Genete wrote:Genete just PMed to LostMarble:
Will be a linux version update?
he immediately replied:
Yes, there will be a Linux update, but I'm afraid I don't know the release schedule.
Thank you very much Mike for the kind response. At last I know Linux is not forgotten.

:)
I just got this answer from SmithMicro for an question a few days ago;

I apologize. There is no Update for the Linux Version. No additional development for
that platform is planned.

As always, contact me if you have any additional questions or if you need additional
assistance.

Thanks

John Csaky
Customer/Tech Support Staff
Smith Micro/Content Paradise

aka ratscloset
So... One says yes, the other says no, which one should we listen to?
:?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Sorry, there's a little miscommunication going on internally. The Linux version of 5.6 was built along with Mac and Windows. We just need to figure out distribution.

As far as I know, this will be Smith Micro's only Linux product (it was the only one for e frontier too), and it always seems a little awkward to find a place for a non-Mac, non-Windows product.

Even though the self space is virtual, you still need to figure out how to fit it in there...

-Mike
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Lost Marble wrote:Sorry, there's a little miscommunication going on internally. The Linux version of 5.6 was built along with Mac and Windows. We just need to figure out distribution.

As far as I know, this will be Smith Micro's only Linux product (it was the only one for e frontier too), and it always seems a little awkward to find a place for a non-Mac, non-Windows product.

Even though the self space is virtual, you still need to figure out how to fit it in there...

-Mike
Perhaps I shouldn't have posted this here, sorry. It might have been better if I just PMd you directly Mike but I thought this was in all (linux) users interest.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Here's Where you can get the Linux build of version 5.6 immediately:

http://www.lostmarble.com/downloads/Ani ... 5.6_EN.zip

I'm not sure when we'll find a spot on the Smith Micro site, but the build exists, and you can start using it right away.

-Mike
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I've been using the software for a little while now, and I must say that it is much more stable than before, and a lot of the bugs have been fixed.

I'm especially impressed by the texture filling, which, finally, makes it possible to animate bitmaps using bones and onion skinning. You can either draw a vector image, export to a paint program, and import the bitmap as a texture filling of the original vector image. Or, vice versa, import and trace something your drew as bitmap, and set the texture filling of the resulting shape with the same bitmap image. Either will work, as long as you don't scale/resize/crop the external image file or the vector layer in Anime Studio (you can scale a bone layer containing the texture filled vector drawing, though).

I think this is a neat piece of programming, well worth waiting for.

Thanks Mike!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Rasheed wrote:I think this is a neat piece of programming, well worth waiting for.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

-Mike
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Rasheed wrote:I think this is a neat piece of programming, well worth waiting for.
I second that! ;)
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Lost Marble wrote:Here's Where you can get the Linux build of version 5.6 immediately:

I'm not sure when we'll find a spot on the Smith Micro site, but the build exists, and you can start using it right away.

-Mike
Trying to install on Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64, I get the following error...

"error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

So I tried installing it but it says I already have a later version of it (libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0)?
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Lost Marble wrote:Here's Where you can get the Linux build of version 5.6 immediately:

-Mike
Thank you!, thank you!, thank you!
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Hmm, there's no version 5.6 listed in my assets on the CP website for download :cry:

Does anyone know where I can download the elusive V5.6?

**EDIT..It's okay...got it :D
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

So, did I understand correctly that the lagging behind in release date of the Linux version of Anime Studio Pro is because of vendor issues, not because of development issues?

Isn't Linux the third desktop platform behind Mac OS X and Windows (in that order) in the world of creative professionals? Read this article in Linux Loop. Windows is (still) on top of the world in business software, but for creative suites it is another matter.

Because it is open source and less "bloatwarey" than Windows and Mac OS X, it offers great opportunities for vendors to offer tailored solutions, from single applications to complete machine parks with dedicated workstations, for a fraction of the price of "commercial systems", and still a relatively high profit margin. I guess one could partner up with a hardware vendor for supply and support.

You can't do this with Windows and Mac OS X, because the costs of the OS are so prohibitive.

Is it just stage fright?

Just wondering...
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I just noticed that the new version is missing the default swatch PNG. You can always copy or rename one as 'default.png'.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

synthsin75 wrote:I just noticed that the new version is missing the default swatch PNG. You can always copy or rename one as 'default.png'.
It's there on my Windows version.

Finally got the Image texture + Bones working. Do like the transparent png option - I imported a shadow map on Effect 2and applied it to an area which previously looked flat: The new render looked great, the original texture pattern showing through.

Rhoel
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Rhoel wrote: Finally got the Image texture + Bones working. Do like the transparent png option - I imported a shadow map on Effect 2and applied it to an area which previously looked flat: The new render looked great, the original texture pattern showing through.

Rhoel
Hi Rhoel!

It would be nice if you could explain what you did with this "shadow map" on second effect, do you have an example?

cheers / ulrik
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

slowtiger wrote:They want to test their forum user's intellectual capabilities. The first one who can name all new features wins a ride through an unamed vietnamese animation studio.
This kind of reminds me of how new content comes out in World of Warcraft, and everyone needs to cooperate to get the keys to gates so that everyone can enter.

jorgy