Version 5.6

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Manu

Post by Manu »

slowtiger wrote:The first one who can name all new features wins a ride through an unamed vietnamese animation studio.
Probably a one-way ticket...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

For those curious about the texture fill expanded features... here goes...

Before the change to Image Texture effects, in order to have an image "inside" a shape AND be distorted by bones, it required an image layer and masking.

NOW, you can use an image texture effect, choose your image, set it to "stretch" and it distorts with the bones. This means NO MORE MASKING OF IMAGES to get that effect. You can have just one shape and using the two effects in it and 4 more from named shapes you can have up to 6 layered images inside one shape, all on one single layer.

The big difference is that this is MUCH easier, no masking, no multiple image layers... it is a thing of beauty.

I plan to create a "brushed fur" texture as a base for my drawn hair effects on my furry characters. Adds some subtle detail with very little effort or added complexity to the file.

The image texture effect for strokes works in a similar way but I have not played around with it yet.

----------
This is not a great example... but... the key is that there are 3 images inside one single shape on one layer AND it has a Halo Effect applied within AS. The file used to render this has 2 layers, a bone layer and a single vector layer. I've applied 3 images using 2 named styles. The order of the image layering is determined by the order of effects and styles.

http://www.lowrestv.com/anime_studio/im ... tures2.mov

-vern
Last edited by heyvern on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

5.6 upgrade for Mac

Post by slowtiger »

OK, I've successfully registered my serial number (I thought I'd done that since I've got mail from SM) and thought I got access to the Secret AS-pro5.6 file. But the download link they wanted my serial number for only lead me to an URL:

http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/animepro/updates.html lists the Pro upgrades. DL is 200 MB - means I get all this useless stuff again.

Despite the "mac" in the URL the Windows version is here as well - and only 110 MB.

Installing was as easy as other Mac installs. Version 5.6 starts no differently than 5.5, I had to look up the "about" screen to verify the new version.

Layer ordering was the first thing I tested. Note this:
- It only works with layers inside a group or bone layer.
- The keys for changing order show up only in the group or bone layer, like keys of a switch layer.

It works!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I'm glad a lot of things didn't change. Have you seen what they did to Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop? Luckily, the same old Moho user interface, we've grown to love.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Genete just PMed to LostMarble:
Will be a linux version update?
he immediately replied:
Yes, there will be a Linux update, but I'm afraid I don't know the release schedule.
Thank you very much Mike for the kind response. At last I know Linux is not forgotten.

:)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I wonder why the Linux version is always lagging behind. I thought that programming for Linux is so much easier, because it is open source, and you don't need to follow an API (Windows, Mac OS X), and it is much more stable than the other OSes.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I live in dial up hell, NO way that I will down load 109megs. I going to a friends house that has roadrunner and try.

My serial number is coming back as invalid. Sent a not to smith. See what happens.

SM has a forum on content paradise,

http://www.contentparadise.com/forums/f ... y.php?f=50

Dale

What????????

Post by 1999 »

This might not be the right spot,what the hell is Deletefile failed;code 5
access is denied :roll:.Downloaded 5.6,did stuff with the numbers,had 5.0 did the upgrade to 5.5,that was easy,quite clear :lol: look in the about thing and found 5.5 :shock:
Nice!
Rhoel

Re: What????????

Post by Rhoel »

1999 wrote:This might not be the right spot,what the hell is Deletefile failed;code 5
access is denied :roll:.Downloaded 5.6,did stuff with the numbers,had 5.0 did the upgrade to 5.5,that was easy,quite clear :lol: look in the about thing and found 5.5 :shock:
Which operating system. looks like a file permissions error.

Post by 1999 »

XP,is the thing,sorry i was sleep. :oops:
Nice!
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Genete wrote:...Thank you very much Mike for the kind response. At last I know Linux is not forgotten.
Great news!
Genete

Post by Genete »

Some questions regarding the new features:

1) Would be a script interface for them?
2) Would the new features affect to the scripts written with the old versions?
3) Would be an option in the new version to save the anme files compatible with older versions? (I guess no, but have to ask meanwhile the linux version update is released)

-G
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Genete, I think that layer ordering will be a big think, and used prolifically by ASP 5.6 users. You can't expect them to drop this feature, can you? The layer ordering is the main reason for the backward incompatibility. I've already described how to remove it from the .anme file (with a text editor, just remove the layer_ordering entries from your file, and change the version from 15 to 14). However, if layer ordering is used, the file can't be used in older versions without major modifications.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

As far as scripting... I haven't checked yet but I don't think there is DIRECT access to the animated layer ordering (the other features don't concern me as much for scripting).

But consider this... layer order is ALREADY SCRIPTABLE right now. You can access layers in the palette and change their order via scripting. I had a rough prototype script and was able to do this (using a bone's position) but gave it up because it screwed up the layer order on frame 0 and was impossible to store the original layer order. If you jumped around the time line there wasn't a solution I found to know which layer should be on top or where it should be.

With KEY FRAMES for layer order this means that layer ordering is stored internally with the file. The layer order on frame 0 should always be the same (as long as there are keys elsewhere) I should go back and experiment again.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I did a little test with image texture. I created a vector drawing of a toadstool in ASP, exported it as a PNG, imported and painted in Artrage 2.5, and exported to PNG, for import as texture image for the shape I created. I stored the file, removed the layer_ordering tags, changed the version of the file to 14, using a text editor, and opened the file in Anime Studio Pro 5.4:

That doesn't look very good.

Now, the file, as animation in ASP 5.6:

So, when are we going to see those textured vector animations? It is now fairly easy to do.