General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

The Linux update is now available on the Smith Micro site:
http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/animepro/updates.html
kirkmona

Post by kirkmona »

So did they fix the biggest bug of all in the Mac version? The fact that it crashes every time you try to export?

Still seems like a beta release of an animation program if you can't even render an animation without crashing. I got a refund for Anime Studio and they were nice about it but come on, the product has to work as advertised.

I'm hoping this update fixed that major bug so I can re-buy the product and actually use it.

Anyone know if it works now? I could not use the batch render option as I had the standard version.

~Kirk
tonym

Post by tonym »

I use a Mac and I just tried export and batch export and they worked for me.

Using 5.6.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

kirkmona wrote:So did they fix the biggest bug of all in the Mac version? The fact that it crashes every time you try to export?

Still seems like a beta release of an animation program if you can't even render an animation without crashing. I got a refund for Anime Studio and they were nice about it but come on, the product has to work as advertised.

I'm hoping this update fixed that major bug so I can re-buy the product and actually use it.

Anyone know if it works now? I could not use the batch render option as I had the standard version.

~Kirk
There have been reports on other forums about something in the later versions of QT - seems there might be a DRM problem, designed to stop piracy but is accidentally affecting genuine content producers. Older versions of QT do not have this glitch.

I have avoided upgrading any of the QT files specifically because of this problem.

Just a thought - it might not be a Smith Micro problem but one of the third party suppliers.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Many updates of software I use have problems with QT from v7+. At one point I installed it and had to jump through MAJOR hoops to go back just to use any of my animation programs.

It is not just AS for me.

I will not update QT till I am sure that these problems have been fixed.

DRM sucks. It is the scourge of creativity if it is causing these types of problems. Besides which... DRM doesn't even work. It only works for the people who follow the rules. The people it is suppose to stop are devious enough to get around it anyway.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

And even Apple isn't too blame as well. It is the MPAA and the RIAA who insist on behalf of the parties they represents (motion picture industry and music industry), that Apple puts DRM on the media they sell through the iTunes Store.

I'd rather have Apple fork Quicktime into a consumer and a content creator version (one with and one without DRM). But I guess this will never happen, because you could bypass DRM through a content creator version.

The solution seems to be that both the music and movie industry should grow up and stop playing games with their customers. The ghost is out of the bottle, and the respective industries should become less greedy and more consumer oriented (give them what they want). Of course, the US government should also back off, and draw back the DMCA, which is equally ludicrous.

This isn't as easy as you think. It is a complex matter, which hurts all parties, because some parties won't budge. Some dinosaurs think that computers are just copy machines and the Internet a piracy medium. In their view, both should be outlawed.

'Nough said.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Rasheed wrote:And even Apple isn't too blame as well. It is the MPAA and the RIAA who insist on behalf of the parties they represents (motion picture industry and music industry), that Apple puts DRM on the media they sell through the iTunes Store.
I don't have a problem with DRM and attempts to prevent copying. I do have a problem with shoddy DRM programming which isn't properly tested and directly affects the people who the DMA is trying to protect. In Europe, we have very powerful consumer laws which Apple are running scared of, having been pursued over illegal pricing practices and other EU fair trade violations.

Apple are playing a dangerous game - there will be a case against them if this crashing of 3rd party software is proved to be deliberate policy: It would be unlawful. Apple are not Microsoft, they do not have the vast finances to ride roughshod over the EU regulators. They should note too that even Microsoft are now smarting at their billion dollar fines and are in full knowledge Brussels have Vista in their sights; any Vista fine will dwarf the 2007 world record penalty.

Piracy is a problem but breaking other people's legal software is not the solution.

For those with QT problem, search out back-issue cover discs - the older QT installers are often there.

Rhoel
tonym

Post by tonym »

My version of Quicktime is 7.4.1, and it didn't cause any problems that I am aware of. I have the $30 Pro version, though.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

tonym wrote: I have the $30 Pro version

:shock:

Damn! The world is full of surprises: Get the cheque books out lads, prices have been slashed since Smith Micros took over from eFrontier. :wink:

Rhoel
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Er...I think he's refering to Quicktime Pro :?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Rhoel wrote:
tonym wrote: I have the $30 Pro version

:shock:

Damn! The world is full of surprises: Get the cheque books out lads, prices have been slashed since Smith Micros took over from eFrontier. :wink:

Rhoel
:lol: That's funny! :lol:

I assume he meant Quicktime Pro. :roll:
tonym

Post by tonym »

Yeh, I meant QuickTime Pro. :D

Dang. There would have been no confusion had I followed my instincts and used a semi-colon instead of a period between the two sentences. I always chicken-out when it comes to using a semi-colon.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Grammar Girl alert. ;)
tonym

Post by tonym »

Hey, the 2D-looking "Grammar Girl" character on that website looks like she was could've been designed in Anime Studio. Quick! Somebody offer their services to animate her into a cartoon!

Boy, this thread is veering off-topic. :oops:

How about...Quick! Somebody offer to animate "Grammar Girl" in the Anime Studio version 5.6, now available!

Yeh, much better! :D
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

tonym wrote:Hey, the 2D-looking "Grammar Girl" character on that website looks like she was could've been designed in Anime Studio. Quick! Somebody offer their services to animate her into a cartoon!
AFAIK, the design was done by Podcastdesigns.com. I believe they do all their designs in Flash.