Dual Monitors

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pixelwks

Dual Monitors

Post by pixelwks »

Has anyone tried to run MOHO on a dual monitor system? I'm considering purchasing the hardware and would like to hear opinions.

Thanks
saintmovius

Dual Monitor

Post by saintmovius »

I run Moho on dual monitors sitting side by side. I put all my open tool, layers, etc. windows on one monitor and use the other one as my main viewing window for drawing and animation. In my opinion it is well worth it. You'll be glad you did!

Good luck!

Garrick
pixelwks

Post by pixelwks »

Thanks
Just what I wanted to hear!
gochris

Post by gochris »

Yeah, I do the same thing. After animating a fairly large project in Moho 5 with a single monitor set up, I realized it would be much easier to do with a dual monitor set up. Mostly I keep the layers panel and timeline panel on one monitor, and the main panel, styles and tool panels on the other.

Being able to see all of the timeline while animating makes a big difference to me.

Go for the dual monitor set up -- you'll be glad you did.

Chris
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Is anybody doing dual-monitor in linux?

For that matter, am I the only linux user??
myles

Post by myles »

jorgy wrote:Is anybody doing dual-monitor in linux?

Yes - dualhead Matrox G400 video card, Mandrake Linux 10.0 (will upgrade to 10.1 sometime in the next few weeks).
jorgy wrote:For that matter, am I the only linux user??
I doubt it - I don't think Lost Marble are maintaining a Linux port just for you. :shock: :lol:

Currently my home system is set to dual-boot as I slowly ease across to Linux, but I'm still mostly booting into Windows :roll: (for some other software and the Quicktime support in Moho).

I'm currently saving my pennies to buy MainConcept's MainActor video editor, and Win4Lin, after which I expect to spend the majority of my time using Linux. :D

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
mel

Post by mel »

dont you have any problem wih the dual monitor mode??
ive jsute bought an other monitor and since my quiktime sometimes doesnt open,and when i turn off the second screen , no prob with quicktime!
now it's Mohos' turn to close up suddenly when the botch monitors are turned on ..
can anyone help?
***mel***
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

myles wrote:
jorgy wrote:For that matter, am I the only linux user??
I doubt it - I don't think Lost Marble are maintaining a Linux port just for you. :shock: :lol:
I wouldn't have thought so, but it seems that linux specific questions here are only answered by LM. It's nice to have company. :-)
myles wrote:Currently my home system is set to dual-boot as I slowly ease across to Linux, but I'm still mostly booting into Windows :roll: (for some other software and the Quicktime support in Moho).

I'm currently saving my pennies to buy MainConcept's MainActor video editor, and Win4Lin, after which I expect to spend the majority of my time using Linux. :D

Regards, Myles.
I hear you there. The quicktime support in moho is, well, essential. I've been experimenting around with VMware (nice alternative to Win4Lin, with a free 30 day download) and so far moho seems to run okay under it. I do quite a bit with moho natively in linux, and it's great to have it as an alternative.
myles

Post by myles »

mel wrote:dont you have any problem wih the dual monitor mode??
Sorry, mel, I don't get any of your problems. I run a Matrox G400 dual-head rather than two video cards.

I have it configured as one extended desktop rather than a clone or zoom. I do sometimes have it configured to play back movies in full-screen on the second monitor (only seems to works with certain codecs), but often I just play them back in a window on the primary monitor.

Regards, Myles.
-- Groucho Marx
myles

Post by myles »

jorgy wrote:
myles wrote:Currently my home system is set to dual-boot as I slowly ease across to Linux, but I'm still mostly booting into Windows :roll: (for some other software and the Quicktime support in Moho).
I hear you there. The quicktime support in moho is, well, essential. I've been experimenting around with VMware (nice alternative to Win4Lin, with a free 30 day download) and so far moho seems to run okay under it. I do quite a bit with moho natively in linux, and it's great to have it as an alternative.
Well, once I've got a decent timeline-based multi-layered video editor (see MainActor, mentioned above), I'll be willing to forego the Quicktime support most of the time.

Win4Lin will hopefully give me decent background editors (Xara X and Expression).
All the reviews and word-of-mouth I've heard have put Win4Lin as significantly faster than VMware if you're willing to settle for Windows 98, although VMware is a far more complete virtual machine implementation (will run mutiple versions of Windows, etc).

Since I'm still, for the moment, running Win98SE on an Athlon-750, I'm happy to settle for Windows 98 in return for increased speed.

Regards, Myles.

Edit: Sample comparisons of VMware and Win4Lin:
http://www.computerworld.com/softwareto ... 49,00.html
http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2362/lw-12- ... index.html
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid ... 17/1612248

Note: Win4Lin Pro will now run later versions of Windows (2000 and XP)
Last edited by myles on Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Groucho Marx
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

mel wrote:dont you have any problem wih the dual monitor mode??
You know, another problem came up recently regarding dual monitors. It was a different problem, but I recommended downloading and installing the latest drivers for that person's graphics card, and that seemed to fix the problem.

If I were you, I would try that as well.
LittleFenris

Re: Dual Monitors

Post by LittleFenris »

pixelwks wrote:Has anyone tried to run MOHO on a dual monitor system?
I run Moho 5 (demo for now) on dual monitors on multiple machines and it works great on all the machines I have tried it on. All the machines are running Windows XP Pro SP2 and nVidia graphics cards.