Anime Studio Manual Arrives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nanticokerailroad

Anime Studio Manual Arrives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by nanticokerailroad »

Don't shoot the messenger if it's not true but a store front called SAMY3 on amazon claims they have the AS manual in stock, who ever is interested. It says they are from Maryland. Take care: Mike. "BANG!"
Last edited by nanticokerailroad on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nanticokerailroad

Manual

Quick update; I called the publisher and the manual was released on January 18, 2008 so it should be available. You can also order direct from the publishers web site.
Cengage Learning; look under Course Technology and type in Anime Studio in the search window.

Or here's a direct link to the manual on their web page:
http://www.course.com/catalog/product.c ... 9863-432-7

I found this additional info on the publishers web site about the manual if anyone is interested, it's a brief description along with each chapters description. The author is listed as the same guy who wrote the Poser manuals. The book is around 500 pages so it must have a lot of info; can't wait for it to arrive! Hey I'm one of the new guys; I'm excited!!! Mike.:

Discover all of the unique capabilities of Anime Studio, a 2D animation software program with some amazing advanced features such as the ability to move the camera in 3D, a bone-based rigging system for manipulating 2D images and vectors, particle systems, dynamic bones, and the ability to import and view 3D models with textures. "Anime Studio': The Official Guide" shows first-time animators, hobbyists, and digital enthusiasts how to create, render, and animate characters and even entire scenes that can be exported to various video, TV, and web formats for viewing and sharing. Using clear examples and step-by-step tutorials to help you conquer each feature and new skill, the book includes instruction on managing and configuring the workspace, working with layers, using drawing tools, editing curves, working with bones, and adding sound. You'll even learn how to render a final scene and export it, import and integrate 3D models and textures, video, and Photoshop files, and add special effects. "Anime Studio: The Official Guide" will help you master all of the essential features of the software as well as give you creative inspiration for your own projects when you are ready to go beyond the basics with this innovative animation program.
To Top
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting Started with Anime Studio
Chapter 1: Understanding Anime Studio
Chapter 2: Exploring the Anime Studio Interface
Chapter 3: Managing and Configuring the Workspace
Chapter 4: Working with Layers
Chapter 5: Getting Help

Part II: Accessing Existing Content
Chapter 6: Working with the Content Library
Chapter 7: Importing Content
Chapter 8: Downloading New Content

Part III: Drawing in Anime Studio
Chapter 9: Using Vector Layers
Chapter 10: Using the Drawing Tools
Chapter 11: Working with Text
Chapter 12: Editing Points
Chapter 13: Editing Curves
Chapter 14: Filling Shapes and Using Outlines
Chapter 15: Setting Object Style and Using Vector Modifiers

Part IV: Working with Image, Group, Switch and Note Layers
Chapter 16: Adding Image Layers
Chapter 17: Organizing Layers into Groups
Chapter 18: Using Switch Layers
Chapter 19: Commenting with Note Layers

Part V: Using Bones and 3D Objects
Chapter 20: Changing the View with Cameras
Chapter 21: Working with Bones
Chapter 22: Using 3D Layers
Chapter 23: Using Anime Studio with Other 3D Packages

Part VI: Adding Special Effects
Chapter 24: Using Particle Layers
Chapter 25: Using Motion Blur and Depth of Field

Part VII: Animating in Anime Studio
Chapter 26: Understanding Keyframes and Tweening
Chapter 27: Working with the Timeline
Chapter 28: Manipulating Animation Graphs
Chapter 29: Working with Sound

Part VIII: Rendering and Exporting
Chapter 30: Rendering the Final Scene
Chapter 31: Exporting to Flash
Chapter 32: Exporting to AVI and QuickTime

Part IX: Extending Anime Studio with Scripts
Chapter 33: Working with Actions
Chapter 34: Using Pre-Built Scripts
Chapter 35: Using Lua

Appendix A: Anime Studio Keyboard Shortcuts
Glossary
Index[url][/url]
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

...and we get to find out about this by accident. What a bunch of fools Smith Micro are! (I feel secure in saying this, because I know they're not listening...)
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
laniangeline

Post by laniangeline »

:x :oops: I just found out my copy of the manuel has been back ordered to March 26th on Amazon.com :roll: I guess I'll cancel my amazon order and get it from the link!! :shock: Thanks
Tashi

Post by Tashi »

I'm new to the site as far as this being my first post, but I've had AS (impulse buy at Target) and AS Pro for about 3 months now. I've poured over this forum for many hours, usually in frustration but always finding a solution eventually.

I received the book today even though I got a delay notice going into March.

I have to say it is a steal for the price at Amazon! This is a very well designed book with excellent layout, glossy pages, tons of pictures and every picture in color, color marked chapters and it's crammed with info at 487 pages including the index. I really got way more than I was expecting. :D
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Thanks for the report.

I'll probably pick it up even though I'm pretty sure I won't find much new there. It's good to support the program and there may be some tricks even forum members haven't posted (although with folks like Vern, DK and Genete around it's hard to find something they don't know).
nanticokerailroad

Anime Studio The Official Guide

It arrived yesterday. I read the first 100 pages last night. It covers the program in fairly good detail with examples done up in screen shots. All in full color! Nice! Fairly easy to read too.
Covers the underlying settings for various parts of the program; i.e.: layers, which is very helpful with examples showing how the look changes with various setting changes. There's a lot of TIPS, NOTES, AND CAUTION hints in boxes that are very useful along with the quarks associated with the program. It covers the subtle differences in the Windows & Mac versions also. There are also some tutorials within the manual.

The title is a little misleading. This guide is for Anime Studio PRO also!!!!!! It covers both versions. All the advanced tools and settings in ASP are covered in good detail with examples. I was really surprised at how many example screen shots there are. If a feature or tool is not present in the basic Anime Studio version it's Noted in a hi-lighted box. Nice Job. My opinion.

There is a CD that comes with it that has a 30 day trial version of the software plus all project files and final examples for the tutorials in the book. (Didn't mess with the CD yet)

heyvern is even mentioned!!!
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Dang, I ordered my copy from Amazon back in October and I looked this morning and not only has it not shipped yet it isn't even in the preparing to ship category. How are the tutorials? Are they on the disk or in the book? Any extra content on the disks to talk about?
nanticokerailroad

Manual & Disc

I just popped the disc in to check it out. Most chapters in the book have small basic tutorials covering a specific tool or feature. The disc has the exact Anime Studio projects on the CD in folders named by the corresponding book chapter that you can load into the program and go thru the motions like the author does in the book or manipulate anyway you like. Included is a project file for each tutorial showing the final result of the tutorial that you can also load into the program to just look at or manipulate even further if you so choose. You can save these tutorial animations to your hard drive to work on at a later date if you only go so far within a tutorial. Most seem fairly short and to the point. They are pretty basic but good enough to cover all the features of the program.

NOTE: I found that some of the tutorials don't start up properly. I clicked on them at random and found that a link to a layer or layer itself maybe missing. You get the pixilated boxes that show up when you move a file around to a new location and then try and reload a project. Not sure how many of these have the glitch. I made another post about getting rid of the startup character that appears when you launch the program. This is not what i'm talking about! These were with tutorials that don't have anything to do with him. He is used on some of the tutorials so deleting him or moving him may cause a problem also. I'm not sure if the author is accessing this character from the StartupFile or not, so user beware!
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Thanks for quick reply. Weird things are happening here. I wrote a couple of replies on the Papagayo forum and now when I try it says that I can't post to that forum. Very strange...
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

OK, just got off the phone with Amazon. I ordered five books back in October with the FREE shipping option. They send some of them to me others are awaiting publishing. Apparently they grouped Anime Studio with a Manga Studio book that isn't even due out till May 08 and they were going to hold up the order till the other book is ready to ship and ship them together. I told them it was stupid and I order five books and it wasn't me who grouped them together like that. So she said the only thing she could do was drop the other book and I would have to reorder it again to free up shipment of the Anime Studio book. So I should be receiving it a week or two...crazy!
zbme

Re: Manual & Disc

Post by zbme »

nanticokerailroad wrote:I just popped the disc in to check it out. Most chapters in the book have small basic tutorials covering a specific tool or feature. The disc has the exact Anime Studio projects on the CD in folders named by the corresponding book chapter that you can load into the program and go thru the motions like the author does in the book or manipulate anyway you like. Included is a project file for each tutorial showing the final result of the tutorial that you can also load into the program to just look at or manipulate even further if you so choose. You can save these tutorial animations to your hard drive to work on at a later date if you only go so far within a tutorial. Most seem fairly short and to the point. They are pretty basic but good enough to cover all the features of the program.

NOTE: I found that some of the tutorials don't start up properly. I clicked on them at random and found that a link to a layer or layer itself maybe missing. You get the pixilated boxes that show up when you move a file around to a new location and then try and reload a project. Not sure how many of these have the glitch. I made another post about getting rid of the startup character that appears when you launch the program. This is not what i'm talking about! These were with tutorials that don't have anything to do with him. He is used on some of the tutorials so deleting him or moving him may cause a problem also. I'm not sure if the author is accessing this character from the StartupFile or not, so user beware!
My disk is not working correctly. :( same as you described.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Has anyone contacted the publisher about it yet? If you bought it on Amazon you can post this problem in a review of the book and I bet the publisher gets it fixed real fast.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I got the book today. The back says that the disk contains a demo. Not!!!. And because the demo is not there some of the copy write content is also not there. That is why I think the missing link boxes are coming up.

The book is a good start and reference. The last chapters seemed rushed. No advance head turns. An almost complete coverage of all the tools and how they are used.

Dale
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

No advance head turns.
Good grief! You're kidding?

That's very odd. Of all the techniques to leave out... that would have been the first to put in.

-vern