Anime Studio Manual Arrives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

human

Post by human »

I got the book today on order at Powell's Technical and read half of it in one sitting.

I've been reading, but not mimicking the lessons on the PC while I read. Can't vouch for the accuracy of the lessons; can't report on the contents of the disc.

I have to say the book is quite a good fit for someone like me.

I know and use lots of other software, most of which works wholly as expected, but AS is such an exceedingly odd duck that I find it hard to get into -- especially when I've got every function of an animation production house to do simultaneously, and many of them can be done outside of AS.

It's clear and readable.

It generally meets the standards for good practices in software training.

Probably the most important thing is that it explains a lot of little odd-duck things that would be very tedious for the newcomer to figure out on his own.

One drawback is the careless approach to the art, which I find detracts from the perception of the application as suitable for worthwhile production.

So, while it's by no means perfect, I would like to see this book shipped with every copy of the software.
Last edited by human on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blacksunproject

Just received my AS manual!

Post by blacksunproject »

I was surprised at how thick the book is and the quality of the printing.
I am going through the book and so far I like what I see.

Amazon.com also sold the book at a discount.
This book should definitely ship with the software.

Glad to have a reference manual with such a great program.

Cheers,
Gustavo :D
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

It's okay -- as I suspected, most of what's in it can be understood from simply working through the online tutorials. There are a *few* tips in it that a diligent person might not have picked up.

I think the book is great for beginners -- for anyone even intermediate it's way too entry level and barely touches on what and when someone might do something. Worse yet, the example images aren't very clear cut in what they are trying to illustrate (the one on the limb bend problem immediately comes to mind -- illustrations on threads here were MUCH clearer in understanding the problem as well as the solution).

It definitely reminds me of a beginning manual rather than an in-depth book (which only someone like Vern could write). Because the market is so small I doubt whether we'll see any other book on AS, so in some way it's a shame this is the only one, but if you do consider it as the manual you won't be disappointed.

Not only is there still a need for someone to put together great tutorials (like Gary is doing) but I'd still like to see someone tackle a complete project step by step (this book specifically says it's NOT going to do that so you won't get your hopes up). So much more of why you'd do something (why you would use a certain key interpolation, for example) would be explained in that manner. (Unfortunately, most of us who could do this are WAY too busy animating and having fun with AS to sit down and take the time -- but as Gary's stuff grows perhaps that will be the case).
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

most of us who could do this are WAY too busy animating
Well, I'm not - but I'm also not getting paid for just sitting around, or writing a book ...
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

heyvern; you should buy the book just to see your name in print.

Dale
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Just received mine for Amazon. Pretty quick and at $24. Can't look it right now, I have to wire my new home dedicated dsl line the phone company just strung up...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

dueyftw wrote:heyvern; you should buy the book just to see your name in print.

Dale
I should get a FREE copy just to see my name in print. ;) My mother gets quoted in articles and books and always receives a free copy.

I'm sure the book is great, but... I just don't know if I need it. It's still 25 bucks and that's a lot of Diet Pepsi Max! (the only super bowl commercial that made me go out and buy the product. ;) )

I wonder if it is on the shelf at Borders or B&N? I could just look at my name and save the money. ;)

-vern
human

Post by human »

I think you should read mkelly's comments in conjuction with my own to get a broader take on the book. They are not contradictory but complimentary.

I feel the most serious shortcoming of the book is the lack of a deep (foundational) discussion of various rigging strategies.

If mkelly implies that some of this forum's tutorials should have had a strong influence on the book, I couldn't agree more.

This book should have served as an umbrella to house them and analyze the pros and cons of different techniques!

On the plus side, I agree with those who are impressed by the physical production quality of the book. It's a thick, heavy, expensive, glossy book on heavy, expensive, glossy paper. (Give the devils their due -- they ARE trying).

I would also like to point out that the page layout and the typography are very good. Nice large clear type with plenty of leading. Once your eyes get to be 50 years old, they really appreciate it!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I wonder if possibly the author tried to avoid using tips and techniques from the AS community on purpose? Maybe he didn't want to "steal" those ideas?

Let's face it, he had to "learn" AS in the time it took to write the book. It takes some time to really grasp some of the subtle techniques possible.

The good thing (or bad thing?) is that it leaves plenty of room for someone like me to write a book (or web site). Mine won't have glossy paper and color images though (keep the cost low. ;) )

I'm in the process of designing my new "site" for all of my AS tutorials.

Just a warning though, this site will focus specifically on ADVANCED topics (and the Pro version). I plan to have links to Fixiwig's (Gary) site and the online manual for beginner information.

-vern
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Everyone is saying that the quality of the printing is good. Not really. It looks like a pod book printed with a very expensive copier. The paper and ink quality is the only thing that is ok. The outer edge is slightly ruff, but the glue binding is crap and if you brake the spine the pages will be falling out. There is a huge gutter that is only filled with short picture comments. Once removed the page count would drop by 30 pages.

Dale
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Vern,

I specifically wrote what I did in an effort to encourage you to continue with your efforts -- this book is in no way something that can take the place of some advanced techniques, and I can quote a couple dozen threads you (and others) have written here that were so much better in how they explained the hows and whys of doing things this way or that.

If this book came with AS we'd think it was a terrific manual -- it IS the official guide so I'm guessing that it satisfies that niche/need perfectly.

You should be encouraged in another light -- now there is absolutely no need to go over the basics. They are all explained, and anyone wanted to write tutorials can just go right to the meat of anything and point people to the online stuff as well as this manual without apologies. So, no need for warnings -- I'm going to support you in anything you do (I'll certainly pay for it).
loczster

Post by loczster »

Hey guys...I just got the book..well bought it from a store. Wow..i didnt think the book was gonna be sooo thick. So far all im doing is just skipping thru (im at work) and i like it alot. ALot of stuff on the CD.
This book is a really good start for noobs like me. I cant wait to ge back home to mess with AS.

Good job on the book!!!!
jpos

Post by jpos »

I got the book.
Good Job!
Thanks!
sfb

Mine arrived today!

Post by sfb »

Amazon.ca delivered the book to my office this morning. I likely won't get much chance to look at it until tomorrow night, but I did peek. Unfortunately I have an appointment after work and I won't get home until about 8 pm. Well, maybe I will look then.

Looks good to me! Keep in mind it's a first glance, but it looks really good. Beginner class user.

Hopefully there will be enough sales and feedback to the author to continue to develop the book for future versions and to refine the scope if needed.

Scott
fugdabug

Post by fugdabug »

Hello!
I saw that the book was listed in Amazon.com's anime books and thought I would wait until March or so... but I am getting on in AS Pro now a lot better, after having to find out various methods by trial and error... much error!!! And ranting!!!
But if I get some cash I might just pop over to the link. Thank you for sharing that...
By the way I think we's in big bad trouble for support... I wrote SmithMicro about an ASPro issue... the person that wrote me back told me:"that is supported by e-frontier we don't support technical questions" something very close to that. And YET the SM label is bannering the former e-frontier site... ya know I think there is something really off there... hmmmmmmmmm.
Well thanks for the link!!! :D
"'member boys and girls,...mr. Grenade is our friend and will protect us! BUT when we pull the pin on mr. Grenade, we want him over there with our enemies far awaaaay from us,.. because he isn't our friend any more!!!" -sum flung dung the wise.