Hello

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

knunk

Hello

Post by knunk »

Hi
I'm back to give Moho 5 a go. I had Moho 3 but was a bit freaked out by how it deformed things. Things didn't retain their mass, things were a bit bulgy...?

I've seen some great stuff done with it though.

I thought I must have dismissed it too soon. Anyway, if you can forgive me I thought I'd pop back and have another look. I just upgraded to 5.7, opened it up, and man....what a lot of scary buttons!

(I hate that new software chill!)

It looks very nice though.

The 3d/2d/2.5D sounds bonkers! How the hell does that work!?!

I work mainly in TV and Film, but do a lot of freelance stuff in between/at the same time. The Dave and Barry stuff I've seen looks scary. I'd like to use it in a broader (crapper) way but take advantage of the 3d-ness of it.

I use After Effects a lot and comping in 3d can be a headache. As a first (not looking at the tutes only having opened moho 5 once kind of) question, Can I still output everything as separate layers? So I can still fiddle in AE? Does it export to AE? Camera data?.....

Cheers

Jez
7feet

Post by 7feet »

You can certainly export a project (or individual layers if you make them the only things visible in the project when you export) for post compositing as long as you use a codec that supports the alpha channel. So you can export various Quicktime and AVI formats, or PNG swquences to bring into AE.

I wrote a camera export script for Moho to work with an existing Maya camera info importer. All the info on that is here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589

I don't really know anything about the scripting in AE, but as a workaround you could import the camera into an empty project in Maya (if you've got it, I imagine even the Learning Edition (free) would work fine) and then export a Maya ascii project file with just the camera data for import into AE. A little roundabout, but it should work just fine.

Additionally, you can import video files into Moho that have Alpha channels and you can do a bit of compositing in Moho, so some interesting back and forth is possible.

An awful lot of people have had that "Omigod, there so much stuff here!" reaction, and the best answer possible is, "Go through all the tutorials". Really, they're very well set up to give you a good working knowledge of what the program can do, and how to do it. And if it's not there, it's probably here on the forum. Ask all sorts of questions, we don't mind.

One thing that can be a little tricky in Moho is how layers are sorted in 3D. Each layer has it's origin, and the depth of the origin, and not what is in the layer, will determine how the layers are sorted. The one exception is imported 3D object layers, which interact with each other about how you would think they should. If you keep this in mind there's a lot less initial confusion.

Simple, insanely complicated, whatever you choose. You don't need to go completely nuts to do cool stuff. Welcome back, and feel free to throw some questions out.

--Brian
knunk

Post by knunk »

Thanks Brian
7feet

Post by 7feet »

No sweat.