Moho 13.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

exile

Re: Moho 13.

Post by exile »

Just a short recap.
1) There was major turbulence at Smith Micro, the graphics division was sacked.
2) Since then, SM has done the minimum to reassure customers, but not more.
3) Lack of information gives rise to speculation, from overly positive (4 teams rumor) to overly negative, which would be to write off the future of the software.
4) - This is an opinion - The most sober approach is to wait and see.
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I would say wide speculation as to the consistency of the "team" or "teams" but for the future of the software SM has said they are working on the next release. Just how long that will take is again up for speculation. :)
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

I've got a pretty big commercial coming up which i have to finish until the end of December. I'm contemplating if i even should still use MoHo or go with another software entirely... I'm so sad about the lack of Updates recently and that it has slowed down so much... Any News in this regard?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

OK, I can't hold it any longer.

What is wrong with you people that you always ask for a next version as if your recent one has expired yesterday? Are you really that dependent from the newest of all new features, without which you can't even start your project? Smart bones work since when, version 9? What do you expect from a newer version? No, don't answer.

Of course each version was improved, but it's not as if essential tools are missing. For the record: I still start all my projects in version 8.2 (since I don't use smart bones) and only switch to 11 if really necessary. My basic workflow hasn't changed for 10 years, and the basic tools as well. Of course I have my own wish list of stuff which needs improvement, but very few from this list was touched the last 10 years (like multiple layer editing), and I doubt that any next version will tackle those (like style window). And there are parts of the workflow which will never get any faster, like drawing and rigging, because this only depends on your skills. </rant>
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
exile

Post by exile »

Even if it means eating some of my words, I think Tiger is 99% right. I do notice that bezier curves and being able to add points without distorting a shape are a positive change, but he's right that we're software fetishists.
Steve

jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I will admit to being an unfortunate combination of upgrade tart and late adopter...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
exile

Post by exile »

I had to run after writing two sentences, would like to clarify a bit. Recently I've been re-discovering old tutorials on YouTube and realizing, "Oh, I didn't know how to do that." As a hobbyist who often has to take breaks with projects because of other obligations, there are plenty of things that were possible with earlier versions that are new to me - or that I've forgotten. Current tutorials focus on new features, as they should, but Slow Tiger's words hit home because I've slowly begun to realize some of this on my own. I'm trying to improve my drawing skills to reach a reasonably good hobbyist level, and find myself losing a lot of time trying to replicate complicated rigs and fancy automated actions. With a good plan and usable rough sketches the results would be better even without the latest bells and whistles.

An example: look what this guy achieved in AS version 8 without even using bones! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08v9VuIaU7k&t=304s
Steve

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

JoelMayer wrote:I've got a pretty big commercial coming up which i have to finish until the end of December. I'm contemplating if i even should still use MoHo or go with another software entirely... I'm so sad about the lack of Updates recently and that it has slowed down so much... Any News in this regard?
Yikes! If your assignment is due in December, shouldn't you be working in it right now with the software you know and normally use? To me, that's a bit late abandon my established workflow and switch to a completely different animation system. Just sayin'.

If the issue is that the current Moho isn't suitable for the job you've taken then by all means, yes, you need to find a different program to the work with. Also, there is no reason you can't use multiple programs in the same project. For example, it's not unusual for me to use two or three different animation programs to get a job done on time and at an acceptable quality.

My suggestion is to get busy on your project now with the software you have and know...this way, the job may have a better chance of getting done in time, and maybe you'll have some time to enjoy the holidays.

And as you work, think about what you need to make your work easier in the future. IMO, after your project is complete is a better time to make decisions about changing your software and workflow. Maybe by then a new release of Moho or more info about an upcoming release will be announced. And even if that doesn't happen, you'll have time to look into other options. Or maybe you'll find that what you have now is all you really need.

And like I said, if you like using Moho but it doesn't do everything you need, there's no reason to not use Moho with another another program to improve your workflow.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

I'm on it 8)

Guess you're right but i really like working with MoHo :D I actually held a talk recently about animation in communication and marketing and recommended the software to a room full of people who were all quite impressed by it :)

Anyway, back to work then :roll:
Klywon

Post by Klywon »

I think some people are so enthusiastic about the future of the software, because their jobs might depend on it. Believe me, entire TV series have been animated with Moho since their beginning, and the rigs wouldn't translate to another software without massive trouble, and therefore massive costs. Some attributes, like those within smart bones might even be completely un-emulatable with other software.

If Moho gets abandoned by SM, it means that one day our licenses can't be reactivated anymore when SM eventually takes down the activation services. And when that happens, some of us are screwed: because even if we'd make it just fine with the current versions of the software, we couldn't buy the required amount of licenses for animators or even use the existing ones anymore.

I hope SM realizes, it has people's living on it's hands, and dismissing Moho would be a disastrous decision. It really has the potential to displace every single industry-standard animation software out there, if they just keep on working and promoting the software. Hopefully they'll do it with a shiny, flexible, ass kicking Moho 13, not with a buggy v12. My hopes are up.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

I think maybe i should state my reasons to ask about Updates (not Upgrades mind you) sometimes, since i seem to have gotten some people here agitated (which was of course not my intention).

I think maybe the "problem" is, that we were pretty spoiled with MoHo Updates and Bugfixes with the old constellation with the original Developer at the helm. Since the overtake, there has been exactly one Update in what is soon a year... Now, MoHo, like any Software, has some Bugs and that's fine, no Software is perfect. What kinda makes me nervous is, that i've seen this happening before. Companies buy a great piece of software, don't have the resources or the will to develop it further properly and it meets an ultimate death.

I work for a Fortune 500 company and am making all Software Decisions when it comes to producing New Media Content. I love MoHo and produced around 4 to 5 short films already with it for internal or external purposes. So when i'm contemplating whether i should stick with it then yes, it is about how well it's being supported. And yes, of course i was able to do these films with older versions, etc. During the making of which i came across some bugs and some room for improvement. If MoHo stops improving or being stabilized, which is an ongoing project, then yes, i will have to look for other, better supported solutions. I mean of course it's not the end of the world to use 13.3 or anything, far from it... but imagine being in a studio environment like Cartoon Saloon where a whole series depends on the software and it's development is kinda in the dark...

Just some concerns buuuuuut, just like software, i've been wrong before (maybe due to a bug? :P ) and will probably stick with MoHo for the upcoming movie :)

No reason to drag the subject along though, i respect anyone who wants to disagree with me, no offense meant or taken ;)
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

It looks like there's a 12.4 update now available for download from within Moho. I've only checked my Windows machine, so not sure about Mac.

Updates include:
-Nest Switch Layer interpolation
-Muted channels now have a more accurate icon
-Mesh layers now have a distinct layer icon
-Bug fixes including - copy and paste no longer greys out while changing between open files.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Nested Switch Layer Interpolation is awesome. For example, you can now interpolate between masked groups inside a Switch Layer, where previously, you could only use interpolation between non-grouped single layers. This allows you to morph between complex, multi-layered mouth setups. I've been wanting this capability for ages--it's pretty huge.

The slightly bigger and colorful mute button is welcome too. Much easier to click on and more obvious when you have clicked on it because the channel grays out.

I ran into the graying out 'cut' command the other day while using 12.3--first time for me. Hopefully 12.4 fixes all that.