Camera movement through layers (room > window > outside)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Seb78

Camera movement through layers (room > window > outside)

Post by Seb78 »

Hey there! I build up a setting which is the interiour of a plane. Now I want my camera to move towards the plane window showing the cloudy sky behind it. Then I want to move the camera through that same window so that the viewer is outside of the plane looking at the unfolding sky. How can I do that? Of course, I would have to build up different layers: 1. The interiour with the seats in front. 2. The wall of the plane with the window in the middle. 3. The sky with the clouds behind. But how do I make the sky reveal through the window? With the help of masking? And how do I make the camera move through the layers?
I hope you understand my problem, my English is not very good.
Thanks in advance!
Many greetings from Germany,
Sebastian
Maestral

Re: Camera movement through layers (room > window > outside)

Post by Maestral »

Try this
hayasidist

Re: Camera movement through layers (room > window > outside)

Post by hayasidist »

many ways to do this...

Here's one:
in the simplest set up have one layer for the interior - the window fill is (say) 50% opacity and this shape is surrounded by the wall with its fill at 100% opacity (see below); and one layer for the sky that is below (behind) the interior. Leave the camera at its default setting (z=0; zoom=60); and have all the layers at z=0. When you want to move through the window move the **interior layer** from z=0 to z=2.

You'll need to deal with the fact that the window is unlikely to be dead centre - so either move the layer in x/y as well as z; or move the camera in x/y; or move both so that when the interior layer gets to z=1.732 the window centre and the camera x/y are the same.

Depends on your design - but you may also have to address perspective issues of the seating etc but that's not too much of an issue. Also, if you have stuff close to the outside of the plane you'll need to handle that too -- but too much of this would indicate that a different approach is needed.

If you know how to make "holes" in shapes - skip this paragraph. If not: keeping things simple: use the draw shape tool to make a big rectangle; and then gain to make a smaller rectangle inside the first. Use the delete shape tool (in the "fill" tool group - it looks like an X) to delete these two shapes -- note that this tool does NOT delete the path, so you have 8 points ... select all 8 and then use the "create shape" tool (looks like a kidney in the "fill" group") to add fill (and stroke?) to that. Notice that there's a hole ... now choose a fill colour and opacity for your window - say pale blue at alpha = 120; then select just the four points of the smaller rectangle and use the create shape tool to add fill (and stroke?).