Webinar Recording Available

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Michi

Webinar Recording Available

Post by Michi »

Anime Studio 10.1 New Features Overview

Join Fahim Niaz, Mike Clifton, Jason Cozy and other Anime Studio team members in this 1-hour webinar as they review the exciting new features in Anime Studio 10.1. The team will demonstrate new workflow improvements and feature enhancements in Anime Studio 10.1 including timeline markers, "shy" bones, updates to GPU acceleration, saving to Anime Studio 9 and exporting to FBX. All of this plus more! The webinar will conclude with a brief questions and answers session.

Presented by the Anime Studio Team

Watch it now! Go here: http://my.smithmicro.com/webinars/anime ... index.html
Michi Catanese
Product Marketing Manager, Smith Micro Software
mcatanese@smithmicro.com
dkwroot

Re: Webinar Recording Available

Post by dkwroot »

Does FBX export support Switch Layers?
Michi

Post by Michi »

Yes, it does support switch layers. The FBX format allows for "nodes" to have their visibility animated - essentially objects can appear and disappear. We use this to export switch layers.

Unfortunately, Unity ignores this property when importing FBX files (other apps do support it). The good news is that there's a workaround: we also export an animated scale value that causes an object to scale down to nothing when it goes invisible, and back up to normal size when it becomes visible again. This does work in Unity. So ultimately switch layers are supported.

We've been in contact with the Unity developers - hopefully they will add support for animated visibility, since it's a more "natural" fit and would be more efficient as well.
Michi Catanese
mcatanese@smithmicro.com
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Thanks for posting this - I always miss the webinars live but love that I can watch them later. Thanks again!
~Danimal
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Very good informative webinar, thanks :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
danielandrus

Post by danielandrus »

Michi wrote:Yes, it does support switch layers. The FBX format allows for "nodes" to have their visibility animated - essentially objects can appear and disappear. We use this to export switch layers.

Unfortunately, Unity ignores this property when importing FBX files (other apps do support it). The good news is that there's a workaround: we also export an animated scale value that causes an object to scale down to nothing when it goes invisible, and back up to normal size when it becomes visible again. This does work in Unity. So ultimately switch layers are supported.

We've been in contact with the Unity developers - hopefully they will add support for animated visibility, since it's a more "natural" fit and would be more efficient as well.
How do you make the workaround work? I exported a switch layer animation and Unity only recognized frame 1
Michi

Post by Michi »

Hi,

Unity’s kind of funny. When you bring in an FBX asset, you don’t see the animation right away. You need to go “inside” the asset to look at the animations attached to it and preview those. Are you seeing any other animation working besides switch layers? Is it possible to share your project with us so we can take a look to see what is happening? If so, email me directly at mcatanese@smithmicro.com.

Thank you!
Michi
Michi Catanese
mcatanese@smithmicro.com