Storyboard View

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bupaje

Storyboard View

Post by bupaje »

I was asking about project planning in another thread and also saw that the Carrara modeler has a 'storyboard' view. This might be nice in Moho, basically and option to show small view of several frames -like thumbnails- on one page. For example 72 frame animation you set the view to 'show 12 frames in story view' or perhaps 'show every Nth frame. You could also click on a specific frame and popit up in the main edit window make changes and then have each thumbnail in the storyboard updated.

Carry this a little farther and you could allow adding notes to each frame in story view and 'render storyboard' Then if I have a few generic vector shapes for charcaters and props I could quickly test some ideas.

Here is a shot of Carrara's storyboard room from Carrara 3 http://www.cgfocus.com/articles/Carrara ... nlarge.jpg

Something to consider in some future upgrade maybe. :)
cribble

Post by cribble »

Although i do like to storyboard using pencil and paper, this does seem like it could be useful feature. Instead of sending the whole animation you could send just the storyboard to who-ever needs it.

But MoHo has its limits as it doesn't work in rooms unlike Carrara. But it would be a nice feature though.
--Scott
cribble.net
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

It might also be nice as a work environment. For example if I have a long animation instead of scrubbing to find a spot I could set it to show 12 frames in low res on one story sheet and each one would be every 10th frame for example I could see a quick overview of the animation. Click on one of these thumbnails and brings up the regular interface and change it and the story window frames all get updated. You can get the big picture or the highlights of a large sequence without having to scrub back and forth.

Might also work if you could set a 'watch' feature and say assign specific frames to these small resolution images and then you could keep an eye on how your changes affect those frames/shots? Anyway a random thought for what it's worth. :)
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

ive found storyboarding alot better in mindmapping software. Mindjets Mindmanager X5 is awsome for it cause you can do everythign with a pen(indlcuding drawing pictures) tho iabit pricey.

I have a hobby project on making some mindmapping software which will be free (and have online collboration, so you can mindmap with friend) which ithink will be great for storyboarding. anyyywayyyy good luck