Request for top 10 Anime Studio Pro Version 6 Features

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

PatrickS

Post by PatrickS »

Thanks Heyvern, I'll look into that. Another feature I'd like to add is the option to include or exlude a shapes' outline when it functions as a mask for something else.
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Here are mine.

1. Animatable layer/ shape ordering
2. An option for capped edges on lines
3. Animatable edge hiding
4. A text tool (that does not make points)
5. A sketch tool (which allows you to draw traditionally without making points)
6. Sound layering
7. Frame by frame support
8. A more complex gradient creater/ additional effects.
9. Better image/movie import which does not smooth the edges and looks identical to the original
10. Some code support for pre-loaders, etc.

I hope these wishes become a reality someday :wink:
~neph
heiseman

Top Ten!

Post by heiseman »

1. Better Ease In, Ease Out Control. Some editable velocity curves would be nice.

2. Better drawing tools, which are simpler, more user friendly. Eg. Flash or Illustrator.

3. Proper Motion Blur, not just ghost trails.

4. Sound Layering.

5. Better Image/movie import which doesn't smooth edges too much.

6. Dockable Windows.

7. Animatable Layer Order

8. Improved Text support.

9. Smart, uncluttered interface (I imagine the more features that are added, the harder this will be to do). Flash has done a pretty good job with this in recent versions.

10. Traditional Frame by Frame support.
Horganovski

Post by Horganovski »

I'm a brand new user of Anime Studio but have been using other animation programs for a little while..

My first impression is that the timeline F-curves could be improved by allowing you to adjust the curves using bezier handles rather than just choosing the general type..
Genete

Post by Genete »

I have playing a little with synfig (still in alpha development but very promissing) and I'm more conviced every time that there is no reason to avoid beizer curves in the drawing tools. Maybe it could be an option in AS that in the edition mode the beizer controls can be shown or not. Then you can continue drawing in current workflow or show the beizers controls and make a better drawing work with less points. I think it is not a problem of computer power because if you really need to obtain a curve you should need more points in AS drawing style and if you use beizers you will use less points to obtain the same. Also the AI import (or other drawing formats like SVG) could be properly done.

I vote for 11th.- Beizer curves.
AlanPS

thought of another one

Post by AlanPS »

I actually posted this back in the day on the Moho forum. I would like to see an optional 3d/psuedo 3d lighting system that affects your styles.

Example: You have a 2d character colored with styles that have a shadow as if a light is overhead and to the left.

When you move the pseudo light it makes your styles' settings change so that the shadows change direction. It would also make the hilight and shadow lighter/darker with distance.

It could also cast actual shadows of your 2d characters by using the existing shadow script, but would cause the shadow's angle/length to react to the light's direction/distance.

This would rock!
donnie

Post by donnie »

Heres my Top Ten, Obviously some repeats from what others have said.

1. I Know proper Illustrator import support is unlikely but some better drawing tools would be great. I am talking better curve manipulation as well as better 'pen' choices (A.S can give you horrible vector corners).

2. A Bone Lock That not only works perfectly but can also work across layers (if specified).

3. Ability to tweak the F-Curves in the graph editor would be lovely!

4. The Styles window needs a serious over haul. Some of my scenes have names stretching for miles offscreen with no easy way of searching or even getting to the basic options without dragging the window and stretching it for ages.

5. The 'Re-Usable Library' again.

6. Multi Layer Select.

7. SWF import and, of course, better SWF Export..

8. Ability to copy/paste/mirror bones.

9. Ability to select keys through all layers in timeline.

10. Better 3d support for modeling/(cel) shading/lighting. Also perhaps abilty to choose different Camera Lenses as it currently only seems to offer one that gives a slightly weird fish-eye effect.

Thanks a lot for reading!!
donnie

Post by donnie »

...I would also like as a bonus request that we could have the ability to switch of onion-skinng altogether. I'm always hitting that damn thing which can really slow you down over the course of a day! (especially if you have a slow computer).

Cheers,

D
Genete

Post by Genete »

donnie wrote:...I would also like as a bonus request that we could have the ability to switch of onion-skinng altogether. I'm always hitting that damn thing which can really slow you down over the course of a day! (especially if you have a slow computer).

Cheers,

D
Have you tried the "Clear All" button in the drop down menu of Onionskins in Timeline window?
donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes thank you, but I guess what I really meant was an option to get rid of that onionskin line altogether as I tend to hit that and create an onionskin when I really just wanted to move the timeline marker.

Cheers anyway though!
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

donnie wrote:
10. Better 3d support for modeling/(cel) shading/lighting. Also perhaps abilty to choose different Camera Lenses as it currently only seems to offer one that gives a slightly weird fish-eye effect.
Actually, you can choose different camera lenses already, but it isn't very intuitive. Not many people realize this, but the Zoom Camera setting actually changes the focal length of the camera instead of moving it. If you do want to move the camera, you have to use the Track Camera tool and hold down the ALT (Windows) key.

The default zoom setting (60) is equivalent to a viewing angle of 90 degrees, so it does give it that fish-eye look. I'm not sure what the units of this zoom setting are, but I would like see something more standard like focal length or viewing angle.

By the way, I've measured a zoom setting of 60 to be equivalent to a focal length to diagonal ratio of 0.5, 34 to a ratio of 1 and 17 to a ratio of 2. A ratio of 1 is considered a "normal" lens for still photography and 2 is considered "normal" for cinematography. There's probably more discussion on this if you search the forum.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Rudiger wrote:...the Zoom Camera setting actually changes the focal length of the camera...
This is very interesting indeed! Craves further investigation.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Adjusting camera field of view (topic)
viewtopic.php?t=363
This forum is a box of surprises...
donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks Rudiger and Genete!

Thats cleared up some Camera issues for me, this forum always has the ability to make me feel quite humble....

.. Now I can only hope for Lost Marble/E-Frontier to fulfifil some of our wishes in the next version!
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

I did a bit more investigating, and I reckon that the value set by the Zoom Tool is the "vertical viewing angle" in degrees. In photography and cinematography it is usually the diagonal viewing angle that is used, and the often quoted value of 60 degrees for the human eye refers to this measure. So perhaps the request should be to leave the default at 60, but make it refer to the diagonal viewing angle instead.

Alright, enough of that. Who's next with their list of requests!