Request for top 10 Anime Studio Pro Version 6 Features

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I have to add in an "extra" one. This would be a feature to aid in creating tutorials. (wink wink nudge nudge).

Wire frame rendering.

The ability to render out with bones and construction curves visible.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

Manu wrote:3 Copying and pasting keyframes. From anywhere to anywhere.
Mmmm. I cannot find a situation where it is possible outside the layer itself.
If you copy a keyframe form a layer to ANY other layer it would be the most of the time ill-founded. It will only work if the target layer is exactly the same than the origin layer. Even if the shape/point/bone are similar they could have different internal ID so the keyframe wouldn't work.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Genete
Manu

Post by Manu »

Genete wrote:Mmmm. I cannot find a situation where it is possible outside the layer itself.
If you copy a keyframe form a layer to ANY other layer it would be the most of the time ill-founded. It will only work if the target layer is exactly the same than the origin layer. Even if the shape/point/bone are similar they could have different internal ID so the keyframe wouldn't work.

Genete
Well, where I'm currently working, I'm surrounded by animators who do just that. They copy and paste chunks of animations as much as they can. It is possible and it's a great timesaver. We're talking about rigs that are as identical as possible of course. This is were copying and pasting rigs comes in...
AlanPS

top ten? how about top 5

Post by AlanPS »

I can't think of 10 things yet cuz I'm still learning the software, BUT,

1. Color picker
2. Style change keyframes (I animate gradients and styles but it does not place a keyframe when I do so)
3. Not just better SWF export but Flash export (for those of us without SWF to Flash conversion ware)
4. Action Library (with included walk cycles) and/or a Walk Cycle Generator like 3ds with programmable characteristics (swagger, drunk, goofy, cocky, etc.)
5. A real Anime "Particle" Generator (When you watch most anime the smoke/fire effects are almost stock, why not make loopable animations that you can change the color, size, and direction of?)
Rai López

Re: top ten? how about top 5

Post by Rai López »

AlanPS wrote: 2. Style change keyframes (I animate gradients and styles but it does not place a keyframe when I do so)
Not for Gradients, true... but at least you can see your Style keyframes inside the Style itself, be sure you have selected it previously in the "Styles" list button on the top right of the Style Window.

BTW... Actually I think Styles is the more perfected, rounded and finished (if something really can be considered "finished" some day) feature that AS has :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Manu wrote:
Genete wrote:Mmmm. I cannot find a situation where it is possible outside the layer itself.

Genete
Well, where I'm currently working, I'm surrounded by animators who do just that. They copy and paste chunks of animations as much as they can. It is possible and it's a great timesaver. We're talking about rigs that are as identical as possible of course. This is were copying and pasting rigs comes in...
but there is info that could be copied and pasted between layers, as opacity, shadow, blur, shading and all the layer stuff.

11- i think timeline really needs to change for better. sorry because i didn't put it on my list. can i use one of the 5 that alan didn't used? oh no, with bones3d's list we are actually exceeded :wink:
talking seriously, i was thinking today, there are keyframes that should be edited directly in timeline, as opacity or blur.
now, make things so simply as a fade in or out requires a lot of clicks.
ok, i have two ideas to improve the timeline, and i'm sure you have more:
- double click to add keyframes
- editable values directly in timeline
Manu

Post by Manu »

selgin wrote:- editable values directly in timeline
Isn't that what you use Graphmode for?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Manu wrote:
selgin wrote:- editable values directly in timeline
Isn't that what you use Graphmode for?
:oops: you are right... would you believe me that in all the years i have using moho i had never used graphmode???. i'm the worse.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Selgin!

Look how lucky you are! You got your feature request faster than any of us will!

;)

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

heyvern wrote:Selgin!

Look how lucky you are! You got your feature request faster than any of us will!

;)
jejeje, however i'm happy with this brand new feature. and i feel so idiot, i saw so much time the graph mode and i never payed attention to it.
well, the score so far:
AS 100/ Selgin 0
vamos todavía!
kevin

Post by kevin »

I'm very new to Anime Studio and don't have 10. But, I do have 1. Putting together a short clip over the last couple of days of a hand pressing the button on an iPod and the iPod then displaying a picture, I found that after I'd layed the keyframes down I wanted to add a couple of seconds of no action to the Timeline at the beginning of the animation so that I could add a quick fade in. In order to do that I had go to each layer and each sublayer to move the keyframes to the new times. Seems cumbersome. This was just a simple animation. My 1 request:

1. Timeline Channels of Selectable Groups of Layers w/sublayers and also a Timeline Channel of the entire animation.

Thanks. I don't think that's something Anime Studio already has, like I said, I'm new. Believe me, I'll think of more.
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

1- built-in bitmap to vectorial converter

2- more advanced brush system

3- more import / export vectorial formats

4- curves
________
Shower young
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Wow, some great suggestions so far. Good, intelligent software attracts good, intelligent users, I guess .

Anyway, with that perhaps not so much in mind, here's my list:
1. Better timeline controls (move, delete, or add keyframes on ALL selected layers -- requires ability to select multiple layers and/or sublayers) (Touched's #5)
2. Shape-level masking.
3. Animatable layer and shape ordering (selgin's #1).
4. Better curve editing. I'm resigned to the fact that full support for Bezier curves is unlikely, but I still think there is room for improvement:
  • - Add points without affecting curvature.
    - Change line connectivity through a point without redrawing. (At the moment the connectivity depends on the order in which you draw the lines ending at the point).
5. Scenes. You can emulate scenes with Actions at the moment, but it's a bit clunky.
6. Better shape editing -- booleans, adding points to an existing shape, ability to select more than one shape simultaneously for styling (Touched's #10).
7. Better 3d support (selgin's #7), e.g. use standard 2D line rendering for outline and user-specified edges, plus optional rendered shadows and highlights.
8. Vector airbrushing. This is already possible using blurred, partially transparent strokes of various widths, but it would be great if it was more interactive and the brush system more advanced.
9. More flexible action and anme instances, i.e. use frame subset, stretch over time, contract over time.
10. Eyedropper tool (Touched's #8 ).

Bonus request at no extra charge :D:
10.1. Integrated physics engine.

Bug fixes:
Actions across multiple layers. At the moment it exits the current action if you select a sibling layer without selecting the root layer first.
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Hi, i would like to see:

Scan / trace option
For those who find the drawing tools a little unatural and also for cleaning up and vectoring raster / bitmap image files.

An x-sheet
It could be optional. So those veteran Moho / AS users can still keep the timeline.

better and colour picker
The current one is good but if using a reference image (a character model with colour chart), being able to resize that image would be great. its too small at the moment in my opinion.

import of swf files[/i]
Previously Mike said he couldn't add this due to some licensing restrictions or something?? Now with E-frontier i am sure it can be implemented.

More than 1 sound file import plus more formats
That has been on the want list since who knows when.
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

It is really tough putting this stuff in any order as it changes depending on project.
Oh well, here goes.

1. Better interpolation. (And more control over it!)

2. Motion paths. I would like to be able to move objects on curves and to be able to adjust the speed separately. (I've had jobs where I have had to give up and do this sort of basic stuff in Flash :-(

3. Bone locking that locks bones.

4. Improved colour handling that works with layer effects - so you can just pick the colours. Linked colours - so when you lighten one all the linked ones follow suit.

5. Easing in switch layers.

6.Improved Flash export (including a choice of end cap type)

8. improved gradients that export ie multi node and more types.
NOTE I really like the way that gradients export to Flash. It allows you to do fake lighting effects. Though i can see that locked gradients would be usefull so I'd like an option to use both. (greedy!)

9.Bitmaps visible as wire frames in wire frame view.

10. Improved bones for rigging. It seems that our 3D mates have all sorts of bells and whistles to help with rigging and animation. I'd like some of those please!

11. What! only 10? drat.