Request for top 10 Anime Studio Pro Version 6 Features

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Line width linked to Stroke Width.

If the line width is set and you change the styles STROKE WIDTH, it should change the relative widths of the line width settings.

For instance, you use the random line widths menu to create an interesting hand drawn look to a dozen or so shapes. You apply the same named style for the stroke color and the stroke width to each shape and set the stroke width to 3.

Later you wish to change the overall stroke width so it is slightly thinner.

What I think should happen is that changing the stroke width in the style should change the relative thickness of the line width. Line width should be based on a percentage of stroke width.

-vern
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

All I want right now is for them to fix the bug that makes the .WAV file disappear after about 40 seconds. DRIVING ME NUTS.
tubbesing

My top 3 (which is ten in base 3)

Post by tubbesing »

First, AS is a great program, and really fills a gaping hole in my animation workflow. So don't take the following as anything but constructive criticism.

Here are 3 suggestions, from some one who uses AS occasionally, along with Photoshop, Illustrator After Effects, Poser, Carrara, QT, etc.:

1. Fewer tools.
There's no reason to bounce among all those bone tools to get stuff done (not the only culprit -- I'm just using bone tools as an example). There should be some way to select a/the (as in "the only"?) bone tool and make several different kinds of changes with it.

2. Easier fills/strokes/color manipulation.
I shouldn't have to highlight an object a certain way to alert AS I want to add a color. Modifying and applying styles still confuses me.

3. Better vector drawing and import.
I realize it's hard to get AS to play nice with imported vector objects and bezier curves, but you need to do something to improve the situation.

You asked for 10, I only gave you 3. I could come up with 7 more, but they would all fall in the same "get the interface out of my way" category. The AS forums are full of testimonials to AS's workflow "if you just stick with it", but I don't want yet another learning curve, yet another "intuitive" UI I must memorize. Yeah, I may like Illustrator's drawing tools and bezier curves better because I'm used to that app, but that's just the point -- I AM used to it. So are a lot of other people. And I can send AI vector data out to loads of other applications (Adobe and non-Adobe). DOOM -- Draw Once, Output Many.

Again, I'm an occasional user, and my opinions may be in the minority. But I bet a lot of your customers are infrequent AS users, and a lot more people would buy the app if it were easier to figure out. Hope this helps. Keep up the great work.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

It would be nice to be able to view all the effects in the style palette in real time, without having to render, also have a quick access to the gradients color palettes so that it would be possible to watch the changes while I change them.

I wish the file manager remembered the last files, maybe the last 10-20 files, and also in what directorie.

An option to save project, I mean all included files in the project at the same place, maybe in a folder with the name of the animation, then it would cause less searching for missing images......well I'm not so structured so it would help me a lot. :D

Animateable...is that the word?....shape ordering, I guess you know what I mean.

that's all for now, cheers / Ulrik
dlangdev

Swift-like

Post by dlangdev »

I'd like to second the feature request about having some of the features on Swift 3D over to both versions of AS.

I read the docs including the scripting section and found lots of 3D related classes and functions. And I'm guessing the path to having a swift-like feature could not be far away in the priority list, though.

Also, if I may add more. I'd like to see a truly object-oriented way of manipulating object properties/attributes in model-time, run-time is pretty much non-interactive anyway so it basically goes its own path from start to end without any user interaction.

In model-time, the environment reacts to the current selected object and the user is simply given the tools near the object. That is what I meant with object-oriented model-time.

This will surely streamline the use-case for editing the types.
Last edited by dlangdev on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

From what Genete and I have been doing just using bones and scripting I think having "vector" based 3D (instead of polygon models) would be very possible.

The elements are there already... shape sorting... 3D rotations... all done with scripting. If this were expanded a bit or somehow incorporated into the core application it could jump AS up to a new level.

There is DEFINITELY some 3D functionality within the scripting that we haven't even touched on yet. (there are some cool scripting interface functions that NO ONE has even used yet!)

I hope to see that kind of vector 3D functionality in a future version of AS.

-vern
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

You know what'd rock? If you could copy and paste keyframes between layers. MAN that'd be awesome. Like, when you have one guy doing a walk, and then you'd just be able to copy and paste those keyframes for the bones walking to another set of bones to make it walk. Of course, bones would have to be named the same, etc...but it'd make my life a lot simpler.
[ASPro]Chris

Post by [ASPro]Chris »

Mikdog wrote:You know what'd rock? If you could copy and paste keyframes between layers. MAN that'd be awesome. Like, when you have one guy doing a walk, and then you'd just be able to copy and paste those keyframes for the bones walking to another set of bones to make it walk. Of course, bones would have to be named the same, etc...but it'd make my life a lot simpler.
dito
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There is a scripting solution for this. It involves a script I believe from Macton for saving/loading layer animation. I've been working on a revision to streamline the process and being able to load them as actions.

It would be great if this were built into the application though... I put in my vote.

-vern
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I couldn't get that script to work, and it's fiddly. A simple copy/paste thing like it already is, but between layers, would flippen' rock my socks. I might even be encouraged to hold a party and drink some wine should that happen.
FCSnow

Possible new features for Anime Studio

Post by FCSnow »

I've been playing around with Moho5 and now Anime Studio Pro for a while. I've seen a lot of features suggested here. Some are good and other I have no clue what they're talking about. I still climbing my learning curve.

I have read all comments on this topic (which I won't do again) and I didn't see the one feature I wanted the most. The ability to import two or more anme-files into a timeline and not have to adjust the key animation point so that the file can play and/or render in sequence.

If this feature already exists in Anime Studio, I have not found it yet. I believe this feature would be good for us animators as well as those who are just importing AVI file to assemble a movie.

F.C.Snow
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Well, aside from total Flash integration - which I imagine would be hard as heck- I'd like to at least see the particle effects be optimized to export to Flash -for example where one AS object - ie. a rain drop- becomes one symbol in Flash -ie a raindrop- right now even if you create a smoke effect in AS with four circles for example you can end up with 1000 symbols in Flash.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
cribble

Post by cribble »

I wouldn't mind the next version having a built in crash button, in case i miss how un-stable it can be (i'm speaking in a sense that the next version will be bullet proof).
--Scott
cribble.net
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

Mikdog wrote:All I want right now is for them to fix the bug that makes the .WAV file disappear after about 40 seconds. DRIVING ME NUTS.
I vote for that one. Bug fixes first. Make the scripts work on OSX, too.

Top of my list after bug fixes: keyboard shortcuts that can be modified, saved, restored, swapped, etc., easily.
-=-
MacBook Pro 17", 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm 120GB HD
ASP 5.5 updated August 2007
OSX 10.4.9
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

bupaje wrote:Well, aside from total Flash integration - which I imagine would be hard as heck- I'd like to at least see the particle effects be optimized to export to Flash -for example where one AS object - ie. a rain drop- becomes one symbol in Flash -ie a raindrop- right now even if you create a smoke effect in AS with four circles for example you can end up with 1000 symbols in Flash.
Flash animation is what brought me to Moho, and I'll certainly be in the market for an app in the future that does this.
-=-
MacBook Pro 17", 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm 120GB HD
ASP 5.5 updated August 2007
OSX 10.4.9