Request for top 10 Anime Studio Pro Version 6 Features

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

7. two new masking modes to include the stroke in masking (inner line or outer line) regardless of stroke weight... my style includes a lot of manual weight changing, and the ability to mask inside a shape and not go over its stroke would be really handy (for tatoos, or pupils... etc)

8. what about an animation system based on sliders - i'm thinking for facial animation but could work for other things - slide up the smile, sneer, eyebrow etc. slider for a pre designed morph to allow for easy and predictable animation... maybe?

i will save 9/10 for later...
how do you control the center of a radial gradient? i couldnt work it out.

F.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Okay...

1. Real-time gradient
2. Editable sound timeline for placing multiple sound clips
3. Keyframes with speed up & slow down option
4. Eyedropper tool for colors
5. Align tools (snap one object to another, snap to object's centre, align two object's bases)
6. Copying and instancing - so that if I make 20 copies of ROSE_1, whatever I do to ROSE_1 will affect all 20 roses. I know, I can do this with styles, but copying and instancing would make life a bit easier.
7. Copy/Paste Moho objects from one open file to another open file, if I have 2 Moho programs running simultaneously
8. RAM preview (sometimes Moho runs slow on my super-PC. Maybe 64-bit support, or support for up to 4 GIGS RAM?)
9. File referencing...so that, if I import a character into my PROJECT file from a MOHO file called 'SAM', anything I change to 'SAM' will be modified in my PROJECT file

I'll post more and edit this when I come across more stuff...
sour_jax

Post by sour_jax »

1. the Ability to export GIF images.
2. the ability to export animated GIFs.
The best things in life are free! Salvation, being the greatest!

Visit http://www.handbookforlife.com
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

(I like your fax avvie sourjax. I'd like to see more of him in an animation)
sour_jax

Post by sour_jax »

Mikdog wrote:(I like your fax avvie sourjax. I'd like to see more of him in an animation)
I downloaded it from another website. Hey do you have a source file for "heavy"? I'd like to make an avatar out of him.
The best things in life are free! Salvation, being the greatest!

Visit http://www.handbookforlife.com
larpon

Post by larpon »

heyvern wrote:Yes of course it could be changed with search and replace...

But why bother with scripting? Why make us go to all that effort because they change the name? Only the script writers would be effected and we don't care if it says "moho.document:Layer()" or "anme.document:Layer()"

I have a ton of scripts and a lot are posted on my site (which I would have to edit, test and repost)... there is code here "posted" in threads which probably won't be updated. It seems like it wouldn't be necessary. It's such a small thing.

All the changed scripts would have to be tested. Even a seemingly simple change like that could have consequences. Then there are those who didn't update their scripts (some who have written scripts but no longer support them). They wouldn't work anymore.

I would go along with a transitional change over. Like what is done with Flash and deprecated code in action script (I use scripting in AS now like I use action script in Flash). They support it for a while then eventually the content creators are responsible for phasing it out.

-vern
I see your point vern..
I don't use user contributed scripts, nor do I write scripts myself (yet?).. Though I am capable of writing in, and understand, the LUA scripting language... (We use it as scripting language as well for our upcoming game).. Even better could be an out phase of the name itself (like you commented) and change "moho/anme" to something like "app" or "application"... the implementation of the lua calls in AS wouldn't be hard to change at all and as I see it (without seeing the AS source, but knowing how we've implemented it) it's just as much an search and replace for the devs as it is for the script writers (e.g. you).. I like the "out phasing" idea.. And still think that a complete consistant scripting interface (especially for new comers) would be more slick in the end.. rather than having the good old "moho." prefix everywhere in the scripts... I know this is nitpicking.. as long as the the scripting interface works as supposed.. :)

I don't think a double function out phase would hurt the performance..
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

viewtopic.php?t=7842

My newest Bone Selection tool!!!

Bones in a scrolling list. I LOVE scripting.

That is why I wanted more scripting additions in the next version. You could customize AS up the wazoo (wazoo is a technical programming term).

You should see the idea Genete came up with. We are working on a scripted bone rig for simple, realistic head and body turns. He discovered we could use a script to automatically build the bone rig based on the points in the mesh.

If you know lua you may want to look at the scripting. Very powerful and underrated. Some of the features requested here could be done with scripting.

-vern
Postality

Post by Postality »

one more thing I'd like to add to my small list is:

3D Vector

Such as this program: http://www.erain.com/products/swift3d/

However with Anime Studio's interface it would be a lot easier to achieve this kinda thing than it would be in swift 3D...

Just to add a bit to this, the 3D vector part of Anime Studio would mean building something in 3D with the vector draw tools and being able to export it as the normal formats at render time such as AVI, and MOV.

Personally I use AVI's, simply because the encode ablility of them are far superior to that of other formats. DVD Quality, High Compression. Esspecially when using codecs such as XviD or DivX.

Not to mention with the new DivX web player, you can integrate your videos on the web just as you would with MOV's and Flash SWF/FLV Files.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

BIG request here for scripting:

Right now a text list has to have an "enclosing" popup so it is "collapsed" like a menu. A new addition to a text list would be an optional "built in" pop up like the menu has.

OR even better!

... an optional feature of a MENU so it can SCROLL!. that would totally eliminate the need for text list modification!

If a menu could have a "height" property as well as a width property with optional scrolling (no columns) this would solve a bazillion space issues. Menus that don't fit in the "layout" due to the number of layers, or bones!

MENUS THAT SCROLL!!!!

Give us that and we can do ANYTHING!

I am getting carried away... but it would be cool and solve everything in one shot, bone menus, bonechoice menus, layer menus, etc etc. None of the existing tools would need to be modified except adding in the scroll attribute for the menu.

If you do this for version 6, I will personally fly to your home and wash your car... or walk your dog... take out the garbage, mow the lawn.

-vern
oee

Post by oee »

Here my wery short list! I only dream of one thing in a future anime studio!!

1. What I miss is a really good frame by frame support! There´s no application out there where you can make "disney-quality" classic animation (meaning frame by frame animation with nice colors and fine black outlines, look at example below) with vector graphipcs. The best out there right now is Flash because the vector pen and eraser in flash are really great. (the rest of the program suck though) (Toonboom have some kind of vectorbased feature I think but the pen hasnt the right feeling) The great part about drawing vectors in flash are the precisness and the ability to change the lines without having to redraw. The results are really stunning and it goes very fast to acheive classic animation compared to traditional tecniques. I´ll show you an example. This guy does all his animation in flash. (and compose it in aftereffects I suppose) Look at the quality of the animation! Of course its not only the ap, he´s also really talanted!

http://xplsv.tv/movie.php?id=139

This, if made combined with the other featureres in anime would make it fantastic.

Dream scenario!
Think of a project where you set up your character, say start whith a front view rigged with bones, animate a few seconds and then - hmm I now like the charater to move to a side view. Then you just draw the character changing position (frame by frame) for say about 10 frames then you have a perfect side view where you simply rigg bones again and easly can animate a long sequence, then drawing another frame by frame to find a new position etc...

Still dreaming...
larpon

Post by larpon »

oee wrote:Here my wery short list! I only dream of one thing in a future anime studio!!

1. What I miss is a really good frame by frame support! There´s no application out there where you can make "disney-quality" classic animation (meaning frame by frame animation with nice colors and fine black outlines, look at example below) with vector graphipcs. The best out there right now is Flash because the vector pen and eraser in flash are really great. (the rest of the program suck though) (Toonboom have some kind of vectorbased feature I think but the pen hasnt the right feeling) The great part about drawing vectors in flash are the precisness and the ability to change the lines without having to redraw. The results are really stunning and it goes very fast to acheive classic animation compared to traditional tecniques. I´ll show you an example. This guy does all his animation in flash. (and compose it in aftereffects I suppose) Look at the quality of the animation! Of course its not only the ap, he´s also really talanted!

http://xplsv.tv/movie.php?id=139

This, if made combined with the other featureres in anime would make it fantastic.

Dream scenario!
Think of a project where you set up your character, say start whith a front view rigged with bones, animate a few seconds and then - hmm I now like the charater to move to a side view. Then you just draw the character changing position (frame by frame) for say about 10 frames then you have a perfect side view where you simply rigg bones again and easly can animate a long sequence, then drawing another frame by frame to find a new position etc...

Still dreaming...
You can draw frame by frame if it's not more than.. say.. 30 frames.. then the project could start to get a bit messy :) but the support isn't the best for it in AS but you can.. I don't know how you'd put it on top of a video clip in AS, as I'm on the linux version (seeing that animation is put on top of a real video).. but i know it's possible via the gimp-gap plugins.. and then reassemble the videoframes with mencoder, ffmpeg or apps alike :)
jeff

Post by jeff »

I think many of the suggestions made are very sensible, so apart from the very first one, I won't repeat them. My few suggestions are all to do with timing.

As a traditional animator, the single major weakness of AS for me is its lack of timing tweaking options. No serious animation software should place any restraints on the ability to shift and alter timings. This is the very heart of animation.

1 I have been asking for years (literally) that proper key interpolation tools be introduced, (I usually call them "motion graphs") similar to those in Animo, so that we can do proper accelerations and fairings between keyframes.

2 ability to grab one or more timelines and slide them back or forwards in time (analogy: take a look at how simple it is to adjust the relationship between tracks in Audacity, the free audio editor)

3 ability to insert or edit out arbitary extra keyframes with the choice of either adjusting or overwriting other keyframes (analogy: insert versus overwrite mode in a word processor)

4 the last two wishes relate to emulating traditional-looking animation (and I have been "shouted" at for wanting this previously!) I would like to be able to select arbitary sets of keys and have the program alter the timing to be on twos or threes.

5 I am probably one of the few users who appreciates the animated noise function. I would love to be able to make the noise work on "twos" or other number.

Jeff G.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I agree on the animated noise. It goes way too fast for my liking. If it could simply have a slider on the SPEED at which the noise interpolates. ATM it is on 1's. Would make a HUGE difference. It's like the line's getting electrocuted.
poy360

Flash stuff

Post by poy360 »

1. Magic Wand
2. 3-d creator
3. Tool for text
4. Additional drawing tools
5. Paint fill work even if there is gaps
6. filters
7. a library for objects(symbols)
8. dont know
9. uhmmm
10. nop out of ideas
Genete

Post by Genete »

11.- Improve the curvature tool to be able to select which curve from the ones that are passing by one point do you want to change.
With current version you can have different curvatures for each curve that pass by a point if you do it during its creation. For example you can weld two points from different curves that hold different curvatures in one single point and the curvature of every curve at that point is maintained. But if you use the curvature tool it modify the curvature of the point then it modify all the curves passing by the point at the same time.

-G