drop shadow

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

psaldari

drop shadow

Post by psaldari »

Plese add the "drop shadow" like toonboom studio it' realy amazing and simple!

(and, of corse, I have done the "perspective shadow" tutorial) :wink:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Not everyone has used toonboom... you may want to give a better description.

-vern
psaldari

Post by psaldari »

It's not simple for me, the english is not my language...
But if you go here:
http://www.toonboomstudio.com/products/toonBoomStudio/
than click on "Take a Tour" button and chose "Drop shadow" in the left list in the opened popup window, you can see a short movie that explain you this future.

Paolo
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Moho/AS already has layer drop shadows ... accessed from the layer settings window.

With that you can achieve several types of effect.
1: Straight drops shadow is if an object is throwing a shadow onto the background.
2: Shading within the object, as if rounded.
3: If you set the shadow offset to 0, the blur to 0, and the expansion to 2, and make the colour opacity 0, yu get a very good outline effect (aka the Mr Bean animated character). this latter effec tI use a lot, though discretely.

The best past of this tool/function is you can apply it to a group which has many layers inside it. Irrespective of the number of overlaps, the outline or drop shadow applies as if the layers were one solid object. That is, if you have a held body and an animated head on a seperate layer (or group of layers within the head ab=nd body group) the black outline goes around the entire character, and not the head and the body.

Does this function provide the effect you requested abive.

Rhoel
psaldari

Post by psaldari »

Intresting effect, but it's not the same.
When you want to create a shadow for your animated character the only way is described in the "perspective shadow" tutorial. But if I need to change some parts of my animations the shadow is not updated.
The toonboom "drop shadow" automatically follow the character animation (and the eventual animation changes) anytime , and you can scale, skew, position it in easy way.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I agree that ToonBoom drop shadow is handy to have. It is a cloned version of a layer, that dynamically copies the changes made in the original. It would probably require a new layer type, "clone", and the possibility to replace all visible colors with a single color with a single mouse click or checkbox in the layer.
Last edited by Rasheed on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

i always have thought that better than an effect to make a shadow, AS should have the option of clone a bone layer. the bones of the clone bone layer would move just like the other one.

i could bet this is a script already.

***edit: oh!, magically has appeared a rasheed post which say the same i wrote, but with sense.