Easier move/scale/rotate layer tool

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

keisern

Easier move/scale/rotate layer tool

Post by keisern »

I've used creatoon (http://www.creatoon.com) quite a lot, which is a fast, easy cut-out program which sadly hasn't been updated in a couple of years.

But it had one nice feature that Moho could really benefit from, a combined move/scale/rotate tool. It made it lightening fast to make quick adjustments to layers, just by activating different control points of the tool. I don't see why this can't easily be added in moho.

For photoshop users I'm thinking of something similar to the translate tool (control+T). Easier and faster than having three tools!
Halvseint, animated talkshow on NRK
www.nrk.no/halvseint
myles

Post by myles »

See Brian (7feet) Quinn's Universal Layer Tool and Universal Point Tool in the scripting section.

Brian's layer tool doesn't do scaling, but it does do both rotation (on Z, Y, and X axes) and translation (in X, Y, and Z directions).

It uses modifier keys rather than on-screen manipulators to change modes.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
keisern

Post by keisern »

ahh, thanks myles (and 7feet)!

Seems to work really well. If anyone can cram scaling into that tool, it'd be perfect :)
Halvseint, animated talkshow on NRK
www.nrk.no/halvseint
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

On the Mac you hold the "Option + Shift" to scale the layer with 7feet's Universal Layer tool.

Don't know what this would be on PC.

-Vern
myles

Post by myles »

Vern, are you sure you're not translating the layer on the Z axis - towards and away from you (depth) - rather than scaling?

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Ah.... yes...

You can't really tell the difference in my head. I never read the instructions... please forgive my ignorance.

Reminds me of that scene from "Father Ted" trying to explain perspective with a plastic toy cow to Dougal.

"This one is very small... those out there are far away."
"Small... far away..."

-Vern
Mohlar

Re: Easier move/scale/rotate layer tool

Post by Mohlar »

keisern wrote:[Creatoon] had one nice feature that Moho could really benefit from, a combined move/scale/rotate tool.
I agree. I'm teaching myself to use Creatoon at the moment as I like the 'cut-out' style of animation ..... but the tool you desicribed has one huge disadvantage. It can easily become almost invisible if you're using a complex background or character. But once mastered, it really IS a very fast tool indeed.
Once, I saw myself in a mirror.
Or did I?