Static Code Analyser

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JaMike

Static Code Analyser

Post by JaMike »

This isn't exactly a feature request, but I've been following the Opentoonz story with interest, and there's a company that ran a piece of software that analysed the code and came up with lots of bugs automatically (it found 1211).

http://www.viva64.com/en/b/0389/

I'm curious as to how Anime Studio scores? Has it been run on this software (or software like it)? I understand nothing of what is written in the article, but it's not very complimentary, I think.

It would be cool if all software was run through a tool like this and it became a standard benchmark so we could see how relatively buggy everything was.

So as a feature request, I guess it would be "can we have a bug count?". :)
synthsin75

Re: Static Code Analyser

Post by synthsin75 »

Unless a software is open source, this is not likely to happen. Closed source developers would only hurt the market for their product by publishing such results. Even with relatively few "bugs", non-programmers would read "bugs" as something wrong with the operation of the software. Many of the "bugs" mentioned in that article have no effect on the operation of the software at all. They're just bad coding practices. The same could be said for failing to comment your code, which has zero operational relevance.

Granted, bad memory handling can cause real problems, but actual studios have used Toonz for quite some time. So in the field these problems are obviously negligible when compared to the usefulness of the software. People shouldn't place too much stock in code analysis.
dueyftw

Re: Static Code Analyser

Post by dueyftw »

You know if I didn't have memory leak of programing knowledge, I would be the goto guy.

Dale