Misc requests

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ellipsis

Misc requests

Post by ellipsis »

Hi

A couple of minor requests. Plus a major one.

First, would it be possible to have an option so that the numeric fields have a relationship with the frame size? ie, the position of the top left pixel as 0, 0 and bottom right 768, 576 (or whatever). And maybe a keyboard nudge function to get that point into exactly the right position?

Second, how about some kind of graphic indication of what a keyframe is doing - step, linear etc? Also, editable smoothing would be nice.

But mostly...

Could some of the tools be combined and accessed via modifiers? Having to use a seperate tool for each function has always felt a bit clunky, even using the keyboard. For instance, with the points translate tool, could shift/click select multiple points (instead of constraining angles), and say, alt/click be used for scaling or rotation, or even be user-defined?

Oh, and on my Mac, in Moho b5, the space bar doesn't = play any more.

But I still think Moho is wonderful.

Thx,
Andrew.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Second, how about some kind of graphic indication of what a keyframe is doing - step, linear etc? Also, editable smoothing would be nice.
You can see this in the graph mode. But I see what you mean. It requires you to be in graph mode. A simple graphic indicating keyframe function (much like After Effects?) would really be cool and help streamline the workflow a bit (hey every click counts!).
Could some of the tools be combined and accessed via modifiers? Having to use a seperate tool for each function has always felt a bit clunky, even using the keyboard.
Definitely, take more advantage of the two handed work style that much of the animation industry is using (I'm coming from a 3D experience here). Although I see it in a slightly different manner.

I'll use Maya as an example (don't flame me on this, I'm just using it as an example, I don't want another 3d app from Moho, and there are some reasons Maya is one of the industry leaders in Animation/FX). In Maya you can map any function (or script) to any key stroke (shift-alt-ctrl modifiers and mouse clicks included). Once you get setup you can work very quickly, one hand on the mouse the other on the keyboard bringing up the most needed tools for that artist.

Rather than dealing with everyone's requests for key mappings, they gave a default setup and left it up to the user if they liked it or not. After all we all work in different ways and different projects and it would be great to customize it completely.

You could also customize it to match what ever other programs you are using. Photoshop, Final Cut, Painter, Lightwave. etc. you could match the interface to the same hotkeys in the programs you're most acquanted to (and don't let you remap their keys).

Of course fixing the actual working bugs in Moho should take priority over any interface improvements (after all what good is a hotkey to a broken tool?). :lol:
________
Mercedes-Benz Econic
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff

Post by jeff »

One very simple change would be appreciated here - that is the simple addition to the present options of having separate ease-in on its own and ease-out.

However, the next version of Moho should have a proper editor for controlling fairings. The difference between default fairings and ones you can tweak exactly by grabbing curves is the difference between OK animation and professional looking animation.

Jeff
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

The difference between default fairings and ones you can tweak exactly by grabbing curves is the difference between OK animation and professional looking animation.
Now that's the truth! :D
________
No2 vaporizer review
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myles

Post by myles »

jeff wrote:One very simple change would be appreciated here - that is the simple addition to the present options of having separate ease-in on its own and ease-out.
I agree.
Ermm - although, what would the other end of that piece of curve be ?
Smooth or linear ?

Separate choices for each end would be handy, or the full step up to bezier handles (on the graphical timeline, I mean, not on the vector layers).

Regards, Myles.
ellipsis

Post by ellipsis »

Re curves.

Yeah, I think that's what I meant. Editable fairings to control seperate movement in and out of a keyframe would be really useful, and maybe cut down the amount of keys needed to make the animation work. How many times do you end up with a sequence where just about every frame is a key of some kind?

kdiddy: The key mapping idea would be pretty good. I know v5 has scripting as a user feature, but looking through them, my (admittedly limited) scripting just ain't gonna be up to it. Boxes and ticks for me, please.

Yeah, I do work 2-handed, but generally hanging around the cursor/shift/control end of the keyboard, and I just find having to look away from what I'm doing is distracting. Having a separate key for each tool or function is too much. I suppose the way I'm looking at it is that the translate tool is the main tool for points - and probably layers too - and the rotate tool for bones. Then, "secondary" tools would be a shift- or alt-hold modification of the main tool. Does that make sense?

Andrew
jeff

Post by jeff »

Re: options of having separate ease-in on its own and ease-out........

Myles. If you have a "vanilla" ease-in, it just means that you accelerate from one key to the other without slowing down. The simplest example is something falling. It will accelerate the whole way down until it hits the ground. With ease out, you have the opposite, in effect an action slowing to a halt. At present, the only way of achieving this kind of inbetween in Moho is by creating a bunch of keys in graph mode and it's a bit of a pain.

Jeff