Linux Support

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Markster

Linux Support

Post by Markster »

Why can't Anime Studio support Linux natively anymore, I don't like using Wine much, it's glitchy and slow, you guys at Smith Micro should support Linux again in version 10.5 or 11, like you did with version 6.

Just an idea. :)
dueyftw

Re: Linux Support

Post by dueyftw »

Its not going to happen. They only have one sale of the Linux version.

Dale
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Usually you would look for applications that work on your OS of choice. There are some (not a lot) of 2D animation apps available for linux if that's the system you prefer to use.

I am not certain because I don't know much about linux, but I would think the problem with something like that is that the open source community tends to frown on commercial applications. There just wouldn't be much money to be made with an app on that system. There would be just as much development time for Anime Studio on Linux as the other two OS's and the return on that investment would probably be close to zero. It's just not worth the expenditure.

After some quick searching around, there appears to be a few linux 2D animation apps that are open source and get "forked around" but the users appear to like them. If you want to use linux then you probably need to be more of a computer "DIY" type person who doesn't mind hacking around with non standard apps and putting up with the lack of commercial tools and apps for it. When I hear about people using linux it's the desire to break away from the big money making corporate entities.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Try Synfig. It is now under heavy development. As examples of recent additions are:
-Single Window UI
-Bones
-Frame by Frame (bitmap) animation

On going:
-GPU support (OpenGL)
-Bones enhancements
-FbF enchancements
-Image deformation by bones
-UI redesign

You can see some video demos here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SynfigOfficial/videos

Synfig is primary coded and designed for Linux but there are versions for Mac OS and MS Windows.
-G
Markster

Post by Markster »

I used to use Synfig before I got Anime Studio, I used it in 2012.
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

I really hope they give Linux another try sometime in the future. I really want to switch entirely to Linux, but Anime Studio is keeping me tied to Windows.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Has anyone tried to run a Virtual Box in Linux and load win7 or 8 then run AS on it? That got to be better than wine.

I got a win 8 machine with xp and win 7 in the Virtual Box.

Dale
Genete

Post by Genete »

Has anyone tried to run a Virtual Box in Linux and load win7 or 8 then run AS on it?
That would mean that you own a copy of win7 and so you could have just install it on a separated partition.

-G
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Genete wrote:
Has anyone tried to run a Virtual Box in Linux and load win7 or 8 then run AS on it?
That would mean that you own a copy of win7 and so you could have just install it on a separated partition.

-G
I do have a windows 7 machine. But windows xp to 7 has a 30 day trial. Using trial versions right now. I did it so I could run one piece of software. It doesn't work, but AS should. Might have to up date dll in xp.

The VM box takes care of the partition, it is like a live mode. You have to care full not to give it more than half of you memory and enough video memory.

Dale
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

Its actually easier to use Linux than it is to use Windows, things have change and I think maybe a few years ago you didn't have any sales. But Linux is so widely accepted by the geeks in Graphic production. I literally have windows just to run smithmicro product and everything else to linux. I use Zorin 9 linux, and I am so far from being a linux expert, and yet still easy for me to use.

To say that only the DIY use it to get away from corporation is a joke. That isn't how it is anymore. I use it because it doesn't crash!