Event Markers

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Event Markers

Post by Greenlaw »

In Sony Vegas Pro, you can put marks on the timeline and label them. This is handy for attaching a brief note about what's occurring or needs to occur at that particular point in time. Would it be possible to see a similar feature added to ASP in a future release? Since we can't edit keys in multiple layers at the same time, a frame marker system like this could help with keeping track of where to move keys from layer to layer.

Thanks for listening.

G.
neeters_guy

Re: Event Markers

Post by neeters_guy »

I know what you mean. One workaround is to use the onion skinning as a temporary marker or use ctrl-left click/right click to set play back markers. Or write it down on paper (x-sheet method :) ).
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's a good idea about the Onion Skin markers. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, while I do maintain an X-sheet or Dope-sheet for each shot, I'd still like to have this feature, specifically because ASP doesn't allow you edit keys on multiple layers at once--that disconnect really puts a hit on workflow efficiency because it makes it difficult to relate where events start from layer to layer, especially when you have many layers and keyframes.

On a similar note, about those, uh, Note layers. Is it really only limited to the single line of text? I imagined this would work more like a post it note with a bigger area for text input and display but it seems more limited than that. If it really is limited to a single line of text, I'd like to request that this be expanded--the tool could be much more useful to me this way. If it's not limited to a single line, how do I use it?

Thanks for any info and thanks for listening. :)

G.
Onionskin

Post by Onionskin »

I use one of the camera channel for markers because the camera channels are visible through whole layers, sublayers.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Onionskin wrote:I use one of the camera channel for markers because the camera channels are visible through whole layers, sublayers.
Nice idea!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's a clever workaround! Thanks for sharing the tip
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

What about note or text layers in a switch? When a note shows would indicate frame, as well as being able to actually make notes.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The 'Onion Skin' marker is probably the closest existing feature to my original request, but of course without the actual onion skin effect enabled. If the 'note' popped up when you hovered over the marker, so you don't disable the marker or actually go the marked frame, that would probably do the trick.