Clipping/masking on the same layer?

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Poptoogi

Clipping/masking on the same layer?

Post by Poptoogi »

Hi guys!

I would like to know if it's possible to make shapes that act as mask on the SAME layer OR if there is a way to use group layers inside of switch layers that allow for interpolating. The reason I'm asking is because I usually construct mouths using layer masking, however, I want to be able to use switch layers for my mouths because I love the look of interpolated animation. I usually get around this by masking the mouth switch layers to the head shape or even make the mouths in such a was as the parts are smooshed together for the closed positions which is really tedious. The reason I want this is because I want to create mouths that can be swapped with other characters easily AND used on shapes that have gradient fills or effects without having to worry about the appearance around the shape of the mouths. From my limited understanding of how AS works you can't do this but I have seen this function in adobe illustrator. I know that the programs are completely different but I'm hoping AS will someday have the ability to use clipping masks in the same layer. I know that creating actions or blend morphs I could achieve this but using switch layers is the best way for me to lip sync audio and I've gotten really fast at it. I could just not use interpolated layers but I want to see if the community can help me out first! I'm not sure if this makes sense but if you know what I'm talking about any help would sure be appreciated!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
heyvern

Re: Clipping/masking on the same layer?

Post by heyvern »

There is no way to make masks on a single vector layer.

If you need individual masking for each layer inside a switch and you need interpolation, you will need to create TWO switch layers that "match up". One switch layer would be the mouth shapes with single vector layers that interpolate (no groups), the second switch would contain the mask vector layers. The mask switch would contain vector layers only and just have the shapes to mask the "matching" mouth shape layer in the other switch layer. The masking is set in the parent switch not the individual layers.

Both switch layers would have to be keyed to match up or you could use a smart bone to control both switches at the same time. Much easier.
heyvern

Re: Clipping/masking on the same layer?

Post by heyvern »

Oops!

I forgot that switches controlled by smart bones will NOT interpolate. You can't use a smart bone to control switches if you want smooth interpolation of the layers. You will need to key both switches "by hand" to get what you need.