A properly working "lock bone" tool

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lukas

A properly working "lock bone" tool

Post by Lukas »

The main problem with the bone lock tool, when you're using it for feet (what it's used most for), is that the bone will move away from it's position if you translate the hip-bone too far away. In my opinion, the animator should decide when a bone can move again, by unlocking the bone.

A LOCKED bone should be UNMOVABLE untill it's unlocked.

There are many work arounds, rigging techniques and scripts, to simulate absolute bone locking. But this should really just work, it would make many projects much easier to animate on.

Especially with the new smart-bones this would open a lot of possibilities for great looking easy to animate rigs. Which is what makes ASP so powerful.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: A properly working "lock bone" tool

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I think AS need a completely new way to "lock bones". The current feature is tricky to control and doesn't let you animate a locked bone, which could be very useful many times.
In my opinion, this should be a dressed as a priority for a future new version.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

selgin wrote:The current feature is tricky to control and doesn't let you animate a locked bone, which could be very useful many times.
I didn't even think of animating a locked bone. That does sound good indeed!
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

I have to agree. I've never managed to successfully lock a bone and have it not move. For walking characters I always seem to have to go back and key every single frame to stop unwanted foot movement.
I would love for this to be the number 1 priority for AS10

Actually. An all over bone update would be better. I do look with envy at our 3d bretherin when you see what their bones and rigging can do.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I absolutely agree, I have just been battling with an animation which in theory should have been very simple.
I am a very inexperienced 3d animator but in that small experience I have found these kind of constraints surprisingly simple to use ( 'is that it?' I ask myself) , in stark contrast to ASP which is frustrating and fuddly.

Full lock and various falloff implementations , like locking to layers and of again would be useful too.