camera like an object

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

camera like an object

Post by Víctor Paredes »

i'll try to be clear.
when you move the camera in the "3d vision" (i don't how to call it), is very hard to make just the movement you want, because you haven't a real control of the camera.
there is not a option to work with the camera as an object?
or something to make a "camera frame"?

i think it would be useful.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

I'm for that also.
"and then Man created god!"
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

...I'D LIKE TO SEE THIS TOO! Maybe (meantime), someone could write a Embedded Script to do something like that, attaching the camera to a certain layer to move it and to another to "target" it, something like in the Embedded Script example made to Lost Marble called "target_object.lua"
T

Post by T »

Well, glad I found this... was just going to make the same request.

Basically, to be able to create Camera Layers (multiple would be nice) that you can manipulate like an object and keyframe (and if multiple, switch between... like a Camera switch layer, so to speak).

(This is probably really complicated and impossible, but that's the feature request type that I usually make)
"T"
------------------------------------------------
One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything.

www.flyingmcdavidbros.com
Nolan Scott

Re: camera like an object

Post by Nolan Scott »

[quote="selgin"]i'll try to be clear.
when you move the camera in the "3d vision" (i don't how to call it), is very hard to make just the movement you want, because you haven't a real control of the camera.

Maybe I don't understand what you like to achieve,
but can't you just use the "Side by Side View" and
set one Direction to Orbit and the other one to Front.
This gives you fairly good control over your camera-frame.

Cheers
Nolan
7feet

Post by 7feet »

If I'm understanding correctly, it would be to have multiple cameras so that you animate a longer sequence and then intercut between different camera "shots". If that's the case, it could cut out a fair bit of editing outside of Moho. I've done some things like that with the camera as it exists, but it get's tedious to change the cut points and timing of one "shot" without diddling around with whatever is around it.

Say set up one long zoom for the whole sequence. Then a pan or two, some shots at different positions (for closeups or turnarounds), and then be able to switch back an forth betreen complete camera moves at will. I think that would be pretty cool. And probably not all that hard to implement.
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

Yes, this would be a good feature. And i think again: it is not impossible or very hard to make this happen.
Basically a script needs only to be told to "store" camera positions and its coordinates in a layer and needs to be given this information when you make a switch and then move the camera instantly to this position.
i think this could be the easiest way.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

If the camera is an object you can group it with your rigs, very good when you do moving animation like walks where you have to move the workarea constanly to keep up with the walking character. Then you would be able to create a camera that follows the character and use that as a work view while the output camera is static or has a completely different move.
I use cameras this way when I work with Maya and it is very helpful.
macton

Re: camera like an object

Post by macton »

selgin wrote:i'll try to be clear.

i think it would be useful.
I have some scripts that might help a little (might give you a little better feeling of control over the camera)

I added "Copy Copy Curve to Camera Track" and "Copy Curve to Camera Target" scripts to you can just draw where you want the camera to be or what you want the camera to look at and then copy into the camera animation.

There's some simple examples too.
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

See also this feature request:
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2389
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

good job macton, i will try those scripts.