Better Multi-core CPU support

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GranDan

Better Multi-core CPU support

Post by GranDan »

I had terrible times with ASP 8.0.1 crashing during renders until I unchecked the multi-threaded rendering option on the Export Animation window; after that, rendering worked reliably and slowly. BTW, the manual has no mention of this option that I could find. Seems odd that having too many resources available would create trouble but that seems to be what I experienced.

I use a quad-core Intel i7 CPU that runs at 3 Ghz using 64 bit version of Windows 7 Pro; have 12 GB of RAM. So, I was shocked to discover that an application that I bought a few weeks ago apparently could not deal with the 8 threads available in my CPU since multi-core CPUs of 4 or more cores have been around for a while. Based on the rendering window that opens, it appears that ASP 8 can only utilize 4 threads, so a single or dual core CPU would likely not experience this issue. More is apparently not better with this application!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

As of today We have 4 core rendering, which is fine for most users.

Your cpu is four cores, hyper threading only splits those cores into virtual processors, helping in multi threading and those become available only when needed.

So, if you only render frames in Anime Studio, using the four available thread in the software will give you the same results and speed as if the software used 8 thread.

Now, if you do some multi tasking, then your i7 will use multi threading and you will still get decent multi tasking while rendering.

Lucky You! :)
Wolfo

Post by Wolfo »

Something like this happend with ArtRage Studio Pro 3, before it's last update, it was a little slow alongside photoshop for example, and is supposed PS is more Heavy, but now with it's multi-core feature added, is more faster, and i have an intel Core 2 duo Mac.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Multi core rendering made AS quite fast, men was I happy when it was available.

Only draw back then was the embedded script issue, which was a drag, but 8 took care of that.
Conner_36

Post by Conner_36 »

Is multi core not available in debut?