Improved frame by frame?

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nichod

Improved frame by frame?

Post by Nichod »

I wish Moho could have improved frame by frame animation. I love the bone's functionality for certain things, but the look of traditional animation can't be easily duplicated using bones for everything. Any chance of improving how switch layers work? A less restrictive structure? Functionality similar to PAP would be wonderful. But I know I'm dreaming.

Brian
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

How many directions can you pull something in?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
rylleman

Re: Improved frame by frame?

Post by rylleman »

Nichod wrote:I wish Moho could have improved frame by frame animation. I love the bone's functionality for certain things, but the look of traditional animation can't be easily duplicated using bones for everything. Any chance of improving how switch layers work? A less restrictive structure? Functionality similar to PAP would be wonderful. But I know I'm dreaming.

Brian
With the new feature in 5.2 where you can set the default interpolation you got excellent frame by frame animation support.
What you're after is traditional cel animation rather than cut-out animation that Moho does. You would find a gazillion of software for cel animation such as; Toonz, Animo, FlipBook, PAP, Axa, ToonBoom, Retas, the TAB and Take5. For cut-out there are less than a handful where Moho is one. I don't think Moho should evolve cel-animation features but rather continue develop the cut-out techniques that it is so good at.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

I agree with rylleman. The more I work with Moho the more I see it is best suited to the "cut-out" type animation that he suggests. Bring in images from another source into Moho and make them move.
(To me Moho´s Achilles Heel is it´s weakness in drawing abilities and inability to bring in proper .ai files. But I have beat that horse to death and it appears LM is not going to change Moho´s drawing situation.)

But as far as cut-out animation then I wonder why one just wouldn´t do the cut-out animation in Adobe After Effects instead? I am trying to figure out, other than initial cost of the software (big difference in price), why would one use Moho instead of Adobe After Effects. All I can come with so far is bones in Moho (which I really like), but maybe this could also be done in Adobe After Effects and I just am not aware of it yet.
To get a good final product out of Moho (with sound, titles, etc., etc,,), I have to export to another video editing program such as Adobe After Effects anyway...so why not just do the cut-out type animation there?

Anybody with experience in Adobe After Effects want to discuss the pros and cons of using it in conjunction with or instead of Moho?
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

I've done cut-out in AE but I wasn't that satisfied with it for that purpose. That is why I looked for another software better suited and found Moho.

Your AE projects easily becomes to heavy, making it so slooow to work with, especially if you need to work in a higher resolution, say 2K for film output.
You don't have something like Mohos switchlayers which means that you get a lot of layer where you have to turn on/off visibility for them individually.
With one layer created for every piece of artwork it's very difficult to keep track of what you're doing, I've had scenes with a couple of hundred layers.
The tools also is not very well adapted for that kind of animation, AE is foremost a postprocessing software.
The advantages would be that you can work with proxy images (that would be nice in Moho!), and you got quite powerful tools for image processing but you could use those with material exported from Moho as well.

You can have a look at an episode of a show called Wax animated with AE at my site, rylanderanimation.se, it's under portfolio>Wax; Dead Kennedys, click the link "Klicka här för att se filmen".
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

TOTALLY agree with rylleman in disadvantages, yes... but I'd add some advantages more like:

- HIGH QUALITY render instead (sorry for that) poor vector quality render in Moho...
- Sound editing (GREAT!).
- The waranty of all features in this GREAT software works FINE and like you can expect... in Moho (and sorry again) that is not so in many cases... :(
- The posibility of animate ALL that you want in the program (every effect and every thing).
- Lighting and advance /animatable Camera Settings...
- Advance 3D render (perfect layers depth/ intersection :roll: ).
- And more... But I can't remember now because I don't use it for one year! If I remember more I'll edit this post, CIAO!
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

rylleman wrote:I've done cut-out in AE but I wasn't that satisfied with it for that purpose. That is why I looked for another software better suited and found Moho.
-----------------
Your AE projects easily becomes to heavy, making it so slooow to work with,
The tools also is not very well adapted for that kind of animation, AE is foremost a postprocessing software.
--------------------
You can have a look at an episode of a show called Wax animated with AE at my site, rylanderanimation.se, it's under portfolio>Wax; Dead Kennedys, click the link "Klicka här för att se filmen".
Yes, this is the impression I also am forming about After Effects the more I use it. Great for putting together everything that is finished. But can be clumsy to work with at times.
I like Moho because I can quickly whip out an animation. (And quick to make any changes.) And I like the Moho bones, plus as you mentioned, the switch layers really simplify things so one is not bloated with lots of layers. And the 3D environment.
The new added Photoshop .psd export is a real nice Moho feature that offers lots of possibilities.

I looked at your "Wax, Dead Kennedys" animation. Nice, clever animation! The drawing style you used fits the subject matter good. What program did you use to make the drawings?
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Toontoonz wrote:I looked at your "Wax, Dead Kennedys" animation. Nice, clever animation! The drawing style you used fits the subject matter good. What program did you use to make the drawings?
Thanks.
They're all drawn by hand and scanned, I then added "texures" in photoshop, using everything from coloured papers to leafs and coins.
The animation is somewhat rushed through since I had a very tight schedule, 4 weeks per episode for everything.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Ramón López wrote:But I can't remember now because I don't use it for one year! If I remember more I'll edit this post, CIAO!
Ramón - You haven´t used Moho in over a year???? :?: :?: :?:
What version of Moho are you using - 3 or 4???? :?: :?: :?:
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Toontoonz wrote:Ramón - You haven´t used Moho in over a year????
I think he meant After Effects.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

JAJA... :shock: :shock: :shock: Toontoonz!!! HOW HAVE YOU COULD DOUBT IT!!! I'm the FIRST in download the new & GREAT updates that LM put in his page! THE FIRST!!! I can't believe it... (I thought that we were the BEST f.r.i.e.n.d.s of the forum :cry:

PS: Ah, and I use not AFX for a year JUST for all disadvantages that rylleman says in his post above...
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Ha-Ha! :lol: Ramón, I knew you were joking! :D
I was waiting for somebody else to catch it. But they did not.
Guess nobody reads these forums but us! (Or they don´t read what we write!!!) :D :D :lol: :wink:
7feet

Post by 7feet »

First. FIRST! FIRST? How dare you! Uh, I think I'll go back to the barbeque and drink some more beer now. Mmmm, burnt hot dogs...