I came from Toon boom and i would like to see...

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Wolfo

I came from Toon boom and i would like to see...

Post by Wolfo »

Only for 2 weak points in Anime studio, i will be still using booth softwares, and not for full AS.

1. Animation frame by frame.
I know that AS is not focused in that and there's a way to do that, but not as cool as you can do in Toon boom.

2. Too complex for fill shapes.
You can't draw freedom and then just fill areas, you need to close very careful every shape do that or select the right points to fill correctly the shape. In Toon Boom you draw as you want, and then fill closed shapes no mattering nothing more, also the same complex matter to put shadows and lights, i know AS has an automatic shadow, and works good (again, big time saver), but the problem, some times the shadow makes some bad effects and you can't manipulate it.

Taking in account those points i would like to see in AS:

A better support for Frame by frame animation (or a way that don't leaves tons of layers), and shadow manipulation, i mean, the automatic shadow is fantastic, but maybe if it have a way to manipulate the current automatic shadow, will be awesome.

I know the most viable option is the automatic shadow, but it will be great, what do you think?, some times don't you want to manipulate the automatic shadow without doing a new shape to do the shadow you want?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Peoples have been asking for FBF tools for a long time, but AS is not build that way.

I spent quite a bit of time on TBA, only things I liked we're the drawing/fill tools and the FBF capabilities, besides that, I find ASP more intuitive then TBA, and as far as cut-out goes, it bytes TBS in the behind big time, in my humble opinion.
Wolfo

Post by Wolfo »

GCharb wrote:Peoples have been asking for FBF tools for a long time, but AS is not build that way.

I spent quite a bit of time on TBA, only things I liked we're the drawing/fill tools and the FBF capabilities, besides that, I find ASP more intuitive then TBA, and as far as cut-out goes, it bytes TBS in the behind big time, in my humble opinion.
Yes, i found AS better than toon boom, but as i said, there are still few features i found Toon boom do better than AS, soon i will publish a detailed comparison on things that Toon boom do better, that maybe helps AS to improve and be the definitive best software for Animation..
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Wolfo wrote:soon i will publish a detailed comparison on things that Toon boom do better
Will you also include things that Anime Studio does better than Toon Boom? Because even from my limited experience with learning AS, I can see many many advantages so far.

As for doing FBF, you're missing the point of Anime Studio. FBF is sloooow. Point animation is FAST!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, TV Paint is the best software for FBF. If you're going to do a comparison, do it with that.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Like I said, the drawing tools, the color registration and fbf animation is better in TBAP, also the 3D environment is better, I also like the node aproach.

But as far as the rest is concerned, I like ASP tons better!
Wolfo

Post by Wolfo »

JaMike wrote:
Wolfo wrote:soon i will publish a detailed comparison on things that Toon boom do better
Will you also include things that Anime Studio does better than Toon Boom? Because even from my limited experience with learning AS, I can see many many advantages so far.

As for doing FBF, you're missing the point of Anime Studio. FBF is sloooow. Point animation is FAST!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, TV Paint is the best software for FBF. If you're going to do a comparison, do it with that.
Sure, one of them and i love it, the blend morph and lip-synch with smothness
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I take it you're talking about lipsynch with interpolation?

One thing AS has TBAP does not is point animation, to be able to do a second pass on top of cut-out animation with point animation makes a huge difference in quality and work-flow!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Here is an extensive discussion about asp8 vs tbap, Lilly from TB barged in a few times as well.

viewtopic.php?t=19274
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

GCharb wrote:One thing AS has TBAP does not is point animation, to be able to do a second pass on top of cut-out animation with point animation makes a huge difference in quality and work-flow!
QFA. This is what I'm starting to love about Anime Studio.

Oh, I have to admit that Toon Boom has something else that Anime Studio doesn't have - a massive price tag. :wink:
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I ended up buying Toon Boom Animate because of the lack of fbf abilities. Would be great if AS had it.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I use them in conjunction sometimes, there is no ideal animation tool yet.
:cry:
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

For those who have not seen it, I made a fbf test in AS.

Everything is done on a single layer and became quite fun when I got used to it.

Should do a video set on it in about a week or two!

High resolution Quicktime

http://www.mediafire.com/?0u6b83nk61uzeqt
chucky

Post by chucky »

Beautiful
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

It is, and shows that AS can do good fbf animation!
chucky

Post by chucky »

It is, and shows that AS can do good fbf animation!
So , did you start with simple shapes and whittle back the detail?
I'd hate to get bogged down in points while trying to get good movement.
You say the whole piece is one layer, that can't work with many situations.
I'm not convinced by this example,in regards to FBF even though it is very beautiful.