Using points on image layers

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

umedon

Using points on image layers

Post by umedon »

Would it be possible to define points on images layers as well?
For example to bind a bone to a selected part of the image etc...
I would find it really useful.
梅どん
http://iimi.net
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Try Tutorial 3.1 Bone Binding/Manual Binding. :D
Is this what you are looking for?
umedon

Post by umedon »

Yes but no. I'd like to be able to use this technique with IMAGE layers.That is creating points on image layers to be able to manipulate them more accurately.
梅どん
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Yes, I understand you (I think) ...Like in 3D apps the images and textures move/deform as if you modify points position like if you manipulate bones, in Moho only if you manipulate bones, and this makes incompatible can work and combinate this two levels of animation (when you are working with image and textures, at least) ...I'd like to see something like this too, but well, I'd like too see so things...emmm...
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Not exactly the same as defining points on an image layer, but bone strengths can define which parts of an image move with which bones. Tutorial 3.4 talks about using bone strengths - this applies to image layers as well.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

That´s the way I have worked with an image than needed different parts moved----add lots of bones! :D
It takes a bit of tweaking to get it right, but seems to work okay.

I noticed how easy it was to use bones to define areas in an image really depended on my image I brought in to Moho - the image needs to be constructed/photographed/drawn keeping mind one wants to add (potentially lots of) bones to the image and then animate it.
For example, a human body imported as an image - I photographed the person with the arms straight out and legs spread at 45 degree angle or so - just like one sees the 3D models of bodies. Put it on a transparent background in Photoshop then saved as PNG file.
That worked okay, but then I went back into Photoshop and chopped up the image - separate arms, legs, torso, head and tried it.
Worked pretty good with bones.
The key is using an image that is set up for boning....if that is possible. :D
Last edited by Toontoonz on Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Toontoonz describes the exact way I would do it. For the last step, seperate bodyparts, I would take the complete image, erase the unwanted parts and save in the same position with the same image dimensions. Upon importing all bodyparts will be perfectly aligned.

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
umedon

Post by umedon »

Yes, seems that it is the best solution to avoid the bones of the right leg to deform the left (I had this problem at start, even with minimal bone strenght).
梅どん
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Another bit you can try, if you are using region binding, it to put a dummy bone/bones in between the parts you want to minimize the influence between, in this case the legs. You can use dummies you are never going to move to help isolate specific areas. Of course, it's going to work a lot better if there isn't a huge amount of movement going on. If the motion is within reason, you might be able to get away without chopping up the image. Otherwise, it's as has been suggested.