Relative Path for Linked Images.

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cuebit

Assign drive letter to path (virtual drive)

Post by cuebit »

I looked into the DOS command 'SUBST'.
This is a very easy way to assign a drive letter to a folder (under Windows), Defining the Folder as a Virtual Drive.

Choose RUN from the startmenu, then type CMD to bring up the DOS Window.
In the Dos Window type the line below to set the contents of drive D:\ to virtual Drive Z:\

SUBST Z: D:\

The contents of the normal drive D:\ are now visible in virtual drive Z:\

Vitual drive Z:\ is not a network drive but via Drive D:\ you can still share your work on the network.

Ideal for a project when working on different computers with different drive Letters. So you dont have to replace the pathname of the mohofiles with a texteditor.

Hope this helps

regards,

Maarten
Fazek

Post by Fazek »

The problems above are common in almost all programs if referencing external files. It is possible to make a better "absolute to relative" conversion for the pathnames:
For the referenced absolute file path (A) and the absolute .moho scene file path (B):

1. split the path into a sequence of directory names,
2. erase the first identical names from both A and B,
3. insert the "../" name to the beginning of "A", repeated by the number of the remaining directory names in "B".

I never tried the Windows version this way, but I think its absolute file naming is not compatible with Linux or OSX. Is there a translator inside Moho to convert between these path formats?

Moho could convert the Windows drive letters into a subdirectory name in a user defined path under Linux and OSX (for example: C:\ into /scenes/C/ ). The Windows emulator (Wine) under Linux is using a very similar solution. Recognition of this kind of path and converting back is also useful. With this addition, all platforms could use the same filenames.
- - - Fazek
Lukas

Re: Relative Path for Linked Images.

Post by Lukas »

Lost Marble wrote:Moho doesn't like the image paths to go "up and over". In other words, if in order to access the images you have to go back up the directory path and then down into a different directory, Moho doesn't like that and will only store it as a full pathname.
I realize I'm quoting a post made YEARS ago. But this is a very annoying feature of Anime Studio. Please fix this and make Anime Studio "like" going up and over.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The new version of AS has a "Gather Media" feature, that helps with this issue. If you need to move files to another machine or hard drive you gather all the linked files into a new folder. Linked files like images and scripts are placed in new folders "below" the AS file.

AS still doesn't like "up and over" but this goes a long way in helping with organizing files.

-vern
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

The gather media button does a lousy job.

If a scene has two characters, and they both have a head named "head.png". Anime Studio gets confused and it only gathers one head, and your second character will get that head on its torso. Also I'd like to keep the .png files of different characters and props in separate folders. To keep big projects organized.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Lukas wrote:The gather media button does a lousy job.

If a scene has two characters, and they both have a head named "head.png". Anime Studio gets confused and it only gathers one head, and your second character will get that head on its torso. Also I'd like to keep the .png files of different characters and props in separate folders. To keep big projects organized.
Oh, that's bad. I have hadn't the opportunity to test it with characters made by images, but here at office someone mentioned something like that and I didn't understand that time what was he talking about.
I hope it be fixed on 7.1.
Lukas, can you post it on bugs section? thanks.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel