Mapped bone strength

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dueyftw

Mapped bone strength

Post by dueyftw »

Mapped bone strength. Something like uv mapping, but where a window comes up and you can change the shape of the bone strength.

Dale
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

This is a weird request. What if you could sculpt the oval strength just like a normal shape? I mean, add, remove, move points, etc.
Wow, if that sculpting were animated you could change the influence of bones on time. For example, if you have a warrior with a sword, you could easily pass the sword from one hand to another.
Uhm, it's weird, maybe a script could use an action in which nothing be moved, except that strength shapes, so you could animate that in time and the character could base its animation on that flexible strength.

Oh, this could be big.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I need it for raster morphing, but if the map was done with vector that you could key frame, it would be very very very big change. I would be happy to just change the shape with another raster image.

Dale
b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

Dale, the way I change the bone influence shape is by adding small child bones where needed, and set the bone constraints so they don't move. It works pretty well.

heyvern

Post by heyvern »

That's how I do it as well. It's very versatile. I use bone offset on frame 0 for "odd" set ups like hands. To be perfectly honest I don't think a bone strength "mapping" feature would be as flexible as using child bones for me anyway, due to using the "bone offset" to move the child bones around for complicated rigs.

-vern
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Dale, the way I change the bone influence shape is by adding small child bones where needed, and set the bone constraints so they don't move. It works pretty well.
Look at how you have rigged the hands. If you could map the bone strength then it would be easy to bring into photoshop, cut the fingers into small parts, add a little for overlap. Then applied the maps to the bones. Quick, easy method to control exactly where the influence starts and ends.

Dale
lumarama

Post by lumarama »

dueyftw wrote:
Look at how you have rigged the hands. If you could map the bone strength then it would be easy to bring into photoshop, cut the fingers into small parts, add a little for overlap. Then applied the maps to the bones. Quick, easy method to control exactly where the influence starts and ends.

Dale
I need this feature as well. We don't need compex way to change the bone stregth area. We don't need to animate it as well I think. This will bring unnesessary complexity. I think we just need several control points. May be without even way to add new points.

You can't always cut out all moving parts of you character and put them away from each other to assign bones appropriatly. Sometimes you need to have bone stregth overlaping areas where your character shape distortion should be result of moving 2 bones. In this case it is very important to have better control of bone stregth areas.
dueyftw

Re: Mapped bone strength

Post by dueyftw »

bump

With all the improvements, I still need this. I'm using a mix of raster and vector, because vector art in Anime Studio doesn't look as good as raster.

Dale
chucky

Post by chucky »

I have often thought that vector shapes to control region could be good, if you could have an inner and outer shape that falls of through the shapes then that would be pretty powerful. I don't quite understand your are suggestion Dale, that topographic example seemed to be a big leap.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I need bone strength that act just like the magnet. Closer to the center, the faster points or pixels move. And It need to be in any shape.

Dale
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yeah strength I understand , I just didn't understand why you used the example with the topographic map, that's all.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

A topographic map editing would give the user (me) :) more contol than just replacing the bone with a magnet bone.

Dale
chucky

Post by chucky »

Dale , why not vector shapes rather than a completely new concept?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Because I need this for raster images. How would vector shapes help me morph raster images at different speeds and not just the oval shape of a bone? Is something I'm missing?

Dale
chucky

Re:

Post by chucky »

selgin wrote:This is a weird request. What if you could sculpt the oval strength just like a normal shape? I mean, add, remove, move points, etc.
Wow, if that sculpting were animated you could change the influence of bones on time. For example, if you have a warrior with a sword, you could easily pass the sword from one hand to another.
Uhm, it's weird, maybe a script could use an action in which nothing be moved, except that strength shapes, so you could animate that in time and the character could base its animation on that flexible strength.

Oh, this could be big.
I am totally with Selgin on this concept, it is one I have often considered too.
It might be something that could also help with bone locking.
I think it makes a lot more sense than making a whole new feature with brand new tech for a such a limited purpose.
I am not saying that the end result you want is not worthy- I do think it is , just I think a slight adaptation to existing methods might do the trick more elegantly and produce many more advantages.
So yes I do think you are missing something Dale. :P
Unless quite a few here have missed your point. :roll: