Point rotation based on mouse position

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

RichLockard

Point rotation based on mouse position

Post by RichLockard »

I looked to see if this was already suggested and/or if it was already possible, but I found nothing.

Currently when you select a few points, and then select the rotation tool, an Axis appears in the center of the selection.

What I would like to suggest is an alternate rotation method. Maybe by holding down a key, the rotation could be performed around where the mouse is located when the click and drag begins.

This is a feature I've seen in a few 3D modeling applications. Its just something that can help with point animation, For instance you can select all the points of an arm and rotate where the shoulder is as opposed to the center of the points (like with bones).

Thanks for reading. 8)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I think it can be done with a scripted tool. Fazek's tools (most popular mod tools here) let you change the center of your rotation, but it's not exactly what you want. If you have version 5 you can try with them, if you have 6 must hope some charity scripter actualize the tools soon.
I think it's a good idea.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I couldn't agree more with Rich. Since I have ASP6, I guess I'll have to learn LUA and change its behavior...
joelstoryboards.com - (WinXP SP3, ASP 6.1)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I have been using some of Fazek's tools that I have modified for AS 6 to test them out. The rotate points tool can change the pivot and this works quite well and also the same tool can SCALE points which is a time saver. You can change the scale pivot with this tool.

I really should just put up the Fazek tools that work "so far". I've been stuck on a few of them that should use the new features of 6. Specifically Fazek's add points and translate points tool. I can't for the life of me get those cool little "highlights" to show up when dragging the points.

There were considerable changes made and Fazek's tools just don't... follow the same "logic". It's very hard to get that point highlighting thingy inserted in the right spot. I have it working sort of right but the highlights appear "all the time" instead of just for "end points" and "adding points".

The most annoying one of all is Fazek's create shape tool. I really like that tool but it won't create shapes with the space key unless you rename it to replace the default built in LM create shape tool.

-vern
Blue

Post by Blue »

Damn it, start posting Vern. Script hoarder!
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

This is something I was wishing for too.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Spaceboy, get Fazek's rotation tool on animatorsforums.com, it is resolves this issue. You first click to set the position to rotate around then click drag or something like that to rotate around that selected pivot. Haven't used the stock rotation since.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

Thanks!

I had tried using the set origin point for the layer, but then that ended up really messing up my bone set-up. I had pieces moving off the screen when I moved bones.

I am used to resetting pivot points from using Lightwave 3D, but I guess this doesn't work the same way? Local coordinates vs. world coordinates?