Next/Previous Keyframe HotKeys and 'Shunt all keyframes'

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

donnie

Next/Previous Keyframe HotKeys and 'Shunt all keyframes'

Post by donnie »

Hi,

Just having a play around with version 6 which so far looks great so well done Mike and all! Very Happy

One thing I love are the new buttons for going to next/previous keyframe but I was wondering whether there are hotkeys for this as it would be really handy when animating?

If not could they be assigned by means of a script or something?

also may I request some means to 'shunt' keyframes on every layer (kind of Like how Flash does it by adding or subtracting time from the timeline cursor), would be a godsend for animating! And I don't mean how the sequencer currently works in V6 as that just moves all the keyframes of a parent and its child layers - you can't move a region of keyframes within this.

I think Mike even mentioned this in another thread:
So let's say you have a bone layer selected and you want to move some bone keyframes, and then in the third child layer you want to move the two gradient keyframes, and in the tenth child layer you want to move 42 curvature keyframes, and you want to select and move all those keys simultaneously (while leaving other keys in those layers alone).
This would be amazing if implemented ( and also vital for an animation proram, to me anyway)

Cheers!
Manu

Post by Manu »

Agreed on both counts.
Rudiger

Re: Next/Previous Keyframe HotKeys and 'Shunt all keyframes'

Post by Rudiger »

donnie wrote:Hi,

Just having a play around with version 6 which so far looks great so well done Mike and all! Very Happy

One thing I love are the new buttons for going to next/previous keyframe but I was wondering whether there are hotkeys for this as it would be really handy when animating?

If not could they be assigned by means of a script or something?

also may I request some means to 'shunt' keyframes on every layer (kind of Like how Flash does it by adding or subtracting time from the timeline cursor), would be a godsend for animating! And I don't mean how the sequencer currently works in V6 as that just moves all the keyframes of a parent and its child layers - you can't move a region of keyframes within this.

I think Mike even mentioned this in another thread:
So let's say you have a bone layer selected and you want to move some bone keyframes, and then in the third child layer you want to move the two gradient keyframes, and in the tenth child layer you want to move 42 curvature keyframes, and you want to select and move all those keys simultaneously (while leaving other keys in those layers alone).
This would be amazing if implemented ( and also vital for an animation proram, to me anyway)

Cheers!
I have written a collection of button tools that let you 'shunt' left or right all keyframes either globally or just for the current layer and its sublayers. I've never used Flash, but it does sound similar to what Flash does from what you're saying.

I also wrote a supporting script that creates a dummy layer containing all of the keyframes of its siblings compressed onto a single point channel to help you see where all of your keyframes are while you are nudging them. I guess its sort of similar to the new timeline consolidation feature that Mike ended up implementing in ver 6, but it just takes it a bit further.

The reason I never released it was that it lost the interpolation mode for all of the keyframes and it didn't work on the curvature channel, both due to limitations in the scripting interface. Thankfully the interpolation info is now accessible in ver 6, although Mike already confirmed that the curvature channel is still not. At any rate, there seems to be a fairly big demand for this feature so I'll post a version 6 compatible version once I've polished them up a bit, and hopefully it will inspire Mike to include such a feature in the next version.

It would probably be possible to write button scripts to skip to the next or previous keyframe as well, so I can look at that at the same time. I just wish we could use modifier keys for button script shortcuts as I'm starting to run out of keys.
donnie

Post by donnie »

Wow! :shock:

can't belive that my biggest ever request could be fulfilled shortly!

That would be fantistic to have Rudiger! Thanks you so much for taking the time to explore this problem then sharing the solution with the community.

Next/Previous button hotkeys too? You truly are a gentleman! :D

Hopefully as you say Mike will see the demand for this feature and implement it in a future update.

Thanks again.

D.
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

Yeah, modifier keys are becoming more of a necessity :)